Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:53 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey guys.... last week (Friday) I got home and while waiting for the turbos to cool off, I "blipped" the throttle and I got the PS pump noise. When I turned the steering wheel all the way to the lock, I heard a click and the PS pump noise was gone. I blipped the throttle and the noise came back. Turned wheel all the way other side and I heard the same click and noise stopped.

I checked the level when the engine was hot and it was below the "hot" levels. So, being a dummy, I added and brought the level up. Next morning, I checked the level when cold, it was higher that the "COLD" mark. I guess I need to use the fancy Porsche tool jpflip pictured and suck some out.

Any idea why the noise would stop when the wheel was turned all the way and then come back when I blipped the throttle?

Many thanks once again.... and Happy Birthday, jpflip!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be the valve in the reservoir but that's usually more high pitched. Could be belt or pulleys. Get the car to make noise and check engine bay to pinpoint noise.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

if you have stablished that it isn't low on pentosin? ( which i believe you have? ) then you have to be able to rule out the PS res valve that resonates like a tea kettle in TSB 4897 often while the engine is HOT before you can make any conclusive estimation one way or another that the valve is faulty in the ps pump.

porsches "fix" is simply to replace the entire assembly. all for one little valve.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kalyan
Hey guys.... last week (Friday) I got home and while waiting for the turbos to cool off, I "blipped" the throttle and I got the PS pump noise. When I turned the steering wheel all the way to the lock, I heard a click and the PS pump noise was gone. I blipped the throttle and the noise came back. Turned wheel all the way other side and I heard the same click and noise stopped.

I checked the level when the engine was hot and it was below the "hot" levels. So, being a dummy, I added and brought the level up. Next morning, I checked the level when cold, it was higher that the "COLD" mark. I guess I need to use the fancy Porsche tool jpflip pictured and suck some out.

Any idea why the noise would stop when the wheel was turned all the way and then come back when I blipped the throttle?

Many thanks once again.... and Happy Birthday, jpflip!
When my 2003 Turbo was manifesting what proved to be the noise from the power steering fluid valve (in the tank) I never bothered with turning the wheel. I'd push down on the clutch pedal then release it and the noise would be gone. I do not recall if blipping the throttle would bring the noise back or not.

Checking the power steering fluid level is tricky.

Here are the instructions:
Attached Images     
Old 03-28-2015, 02:39 PM
MDKK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I'd push down on the clutch pedal then release it and the noise would be gone.
Curious to understand why noise goes away when pushing clutch then releasing, does it mean fluid level was low in the clutch reservoir in the front and that's what was causing the noise in the first place? Thanks
Old 03-28-2015, 04:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

it's a valve inside the reservoir that resonates. it's clutch engagement that makes it stop. not the release of the pedal after. it is an oddity for sure.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:26 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Less pressure on valve with clutch engaged?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys for all the info.

Macster, thanks for the instructions. I have the pdf as well and looked into it. But, being an idiot, I added more fluid when the engine was hot to bring up the level up the "min" of HOT mark. Duh! This morning, I sucked some fluid out and it is at the "max" of COLD mark. I did start the car and ran it for 20 seconds and then checked the level.

I tried to create the noise yesterday after driving back from work and I was unsuccessful (but this was before I sucked fluid out). I will check again when I drive it around, perhaps tomorrow and try to reproduce the noise.

I googled the TSB and people talk about "tea kettle" whistle noise. Not sure if mine sounded like that.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:38 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Hopefully it wont come back.

Quick Reply: What's this noise?