PSM ABS lights on

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:42 AM
kalio12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM ABS lights on

Hello all,

Wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 01 turbo and recently ive been getting the PSM and ABS lights occasionally coming on while cruising on the highway. The code I get after hooking up an OBDII scanner is p0832- clutch pedal switch A:circuit high. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? I cannot find much info on it. At the suggestion of my mechanic, i changed out a switch behind the clutch pedal but this did not help. I was also getting a second code that said something about "circuit high" in relation to the clutch pedal but I cannot remember the code number, and it has disappeared since the switch behind the clutch was changed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kalio12
Hello all,

Wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 01 turbo and recently ive been getting the PSM and ABS lights occasionally coming on while cruising on the highway. The code I get after hooking up an OBDII scanner is p0832- clutch pedal switch A:circuit high. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? I cannot find much info on it. At the suggestion of my mechanic, i changed out a switch behind the clutch pedal but this did not help. I was also getting a second code that said something about "circuit high" in relation to the clutch pedal but I cannot remember the code number, and it has disappeared since the switch behind the clutch was changed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Just a couple of things.

One is there are two clutch switches. One to prevent the engine from starting if the clutch pedal is not depressed, the other to disengage the cruise control when the clutch pedal is depressed.

I do not know which switch is A and which switch is (I presume) B.

PSM and ABS warning lights can be triggered by a failing MAF. The MAF input is used in some way by the ABS and PSM systems. A problem with the MAF even if it doesn't yet affect the engine can have these systems generating warnings.

Another cause can be a low battery. More than low is it is low because the alternator is not producing enough electrical power and the car's electrical needs are being filled in part by the battery. As the battery voltage gets lower this triggers warnings from the ABS and PSM systems.

I would not advise you replace the MAF or the battery/alternator though on just the above. There are I'm sure a check list of things to look into when this error code appears. Following this check list should lead one to the right conclusion as to what is going on and what needs to be done to address the root cause of the error code. You need access to someone who has access to the diagnostics.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:25 PM
kalio12
Instructor

Thanks for your input. I am not sure which switch they changed, I assume they changed switch A, but I will ask. My MAF is relatively new, I bought it about a year ago but again it could not hurt to take it out and clean it with some maf cleaner spray. As for the battery/alternator, the battery is less than 6 months old and the car starts fine even in the cold and after not having been used for a while. The alternator produces about 13 volts at idle so I don't think that is an issue either. When you say diagnostics, do you mean the list of steps only an official Porsche computer would have access to? My indie uses durametric and a bosch handheld code reader which of course only gives out error codes.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:18 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Thanks for your input. I am not sure which switch they changed, I assume they changed switch A, but I will ask. My MAF is relatively new, I bought it about a year ago but again it could not hurt to take it out and clean it with some maf cleaner spray. As for the battery/alternator, the battery is less than 6 months old and the car starts fine even in the cold and after not having been used for a while. The alternator produces about 13 volts at idle so I don't think that is an issue either. When you say diagnostics, do you mean the list of steps only an official Porsche computer would have access to? My indie uses durametric and a bosch handheld code reader which of course only gives out error codes.
I have seen this due to a third brake light, are the abs and PSM lights out when car is first started? Does the cruise work?
Old 03-15-2015, 01:24 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

What scanner are you using....that code is not listed in my 7.8 DME codes...
Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 PM
kalio12
Instructor

Originally Posted by timmhaines
I have seen this due to a third brake light, are the abs and PSM lights out when car is first started? Does the cruise work?
The lights are not lit up when the car is started, they occasionally come one when cruising on the highway. I have not tested the cruise control but when i depress the little button on the cruise control stalk, the green cruise control light lights up on the dash, so I assume it works.

Originally Posted by wross996tt
What scanner are you using....that code is not listed in my 7.8 DME codes...
I used 2 scanners, one handheld bosch unit and the durametric program on a laptop. The code is listed here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-to-p3493.html
Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lights are not lit up when the car is started, they occasionally come one when cruising on the highway. I have not tested the cruise control but when i depress the little button on the cruise control stalk, the green cruise control light lights up on the dash, so I assume it works.

I used 2 scanners, one handheld bosch unit and the durametric program on a laptop. The code is listed here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-to-p3493.html
Mine did/does this all the time for years. Some other potential contributors (some may not throw codes I think):

- Loose connection to one of the ABS wheel speed sensors (eg in wiring behind your trunk lining or down at the brakes).

- Faulty brake level sensor, or wrong brake fluid level

- Miscalibrated steering angle sensor

- Incorrect wheel sizes/pressures/mismatched wear

The good thing about your PSM and ABS lights coming up on the dash is that those systems are fully defeated and you are now driving a purely analog supercar (especially if it's a manual), ie something a lot more like the hallowed Ferrari F40. The main downside looks to be that you also lose the e-proportioning of your brakes, with the fail safe mode not putting enough braking to the rears for ultimate track times. You also need quick hands as your personal PSM, and a bigger tire budget if you like to drive.

Good luck with tracking it down.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:17 PM
kalio12
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Mine did/does this all the time for years. Some other potential contributors (some may not throw codes I think):

- Loose connection to one of the ABS wheel speed sensors (eg in wiring behind your trunk lining or down at the brakes).

- Faulty brake level sensor, or wrong brake fluid level

- Miscalibrated steering angle sensor

- Incorrect wheel sizes/pressures/mismatched wear

The good thing about your PSM and ABS lights coming up on the dash is that those systems are fully defeated and you are now driving a purely analog supercar (especially if it's a manual), ie something a lot more like the hallowed Ferrari F40. The main downside looks to be that you also lose the e-proportioning of your brakes, with the fail safe mode not putting enough braking to the rears for ultimate track times. You also need quick hands as your personal PSM, and a bigger tire budget if you like to drive.

Good luck with tracking it down.
I've read about these possible causes and it would be a good idea to have a look at them one by one, but I cannot figure out where this specific code is coming from. I have had trouble with the PSM ABS lights before- I was getting a bad MAF sensor code and a wastegate code, and it turned out to be a bad wastegate- so I know what a pain it can be to track down the culprit.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:48 PM
1ST911TT
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was having this issue as well. I did not pull any codes. At the recommendation of other rennlisters I replaced the brake switch. IIRC $14 OEM part.

Hope you get it figured out its annoying.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:49 PM
kalio12
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1ST911TT
I was having this issue as well. I did not pull any codes. At the recommendation of other rennlisters I replaced the brake switch. IIRC $14 OEM part.

Hope you get it figured out its annoying.
was yours coming on when you braked or just randomly on the highway?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 PM
1ST911TT
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Randomly. I could just move the car out of the garage and it would come on.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 AM
kalio12
Instructor

i guess it could not hurt to swap it out. Interestingly, ever since I replaced that sensor behind the clutch pedal and cleared the codes most recently(for an emissions related issue), the lights have been triggered once on the way home right after the codes were cleared but have not yet reappeared.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:02 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

My PSM/ABS failure warning light comes on every time I start the car for the 1st time when its below 40 degrees.
It will not come on for the remainder of the day no matter how cold or how many times I re-start the car.

Only comes on the 1st start when really cold out.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 PM
kalio12
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDS928S
My PSM/ABS failure warning light comes on every time I start the car for the 1st time when its below 40 degrees.
It will not come on for the remainder of the day no matter how cold or how many times I re-start the car.

Only comes on the 1st start when really cold out.
That's the first time I hear of that kind of fault. Apparently these 2 lights can be triggered by literally anything...
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

charge your battery. see if the cels stop. you'd be amazed.

Quick Reply: PSM ABS lights on