Sponsored by:

Back in a Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Thanks for your thoughts on the tires. I'm going to check my wheel's integrity after reading some horror stories of cracks/breakage and will probably get some OZ with NT-01's for the track this year. My PS2's have enough tread to last through the summer I think if I don't beat them too much.
If you are referring to your wheels, which look like Forgestars......I know several people who run them on Audi;s and love them. They see LOTS of track days and do not have any issue with bending or cracking. I have a set on my track ready DD A4 Avant (CF10's though, not your 14's). If you have questions PM me, I can point you to threads on the Audi boards where you can read for yourself. One guy is a DE instructor in the Bay Area and his little Audi A4 Avant waxes 911 Turbo's and the like regularly (it really is 75% driver and 25% car).
Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re Giving the Dog a Ride

Personally, I think the first person in the car should be the dog.

I would advise that you cover the center console with something to protect against nails-in-the-curves syndrome, which is caused by a dog that likes the corners as much as you do, but employs a different stability system than the driver.

I've had mine removed (console) and sent it out to Erik at Bumper Plugs. It should be arriving shortly. Molly says it was worth every cent. I agree. Cars come and go, but a good life can be measured by how many dogs you had!
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2015, 04:41 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Running NT01s

Originally Posted by z06801
I still think running the NT-01 is a great idea if your going to track car they handle the heat cycles well and are fast to the cords. Way faster than the Michelin street tires,
Well, I went ahead and put on a set of 235/315 NT01s since my PS2s were shot in the rear after I put 1500 miles on in last month and a half. Figured since I drive it when dry and a car like this needs to be on the track, might as well get some sticky tires to try all around. Will let you know how they go but from a few folks at the track I've spoken with, they've had good luck running them to the cords.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
If you are referring to your wheels, which look like Forgestars.......
Those wheels def. look like Forgestar F14s, with semi concave front / concave rear with gunmetal finish.

Last month I purchased a set of 18" F14s with customer offsets and super deep rear concavity. Based on a ton of research it appears that these wheels are plenty strong for street/canyon/track use. There are literally dozens of Porsche and Corvette guys running Forgestars hard on the track. Ultimately, I may end up using my stock wheels for track days, but for now more than 50% of my driving is on coastal/canyon roads and I'm not overly concerned about the Forgestars holding up -- I'm way more concerned about not seeing a crater size pothole here in SF on my way out of the City!

Regarding tire choice, I'm presently running stock size tires, but next time around I'd really like to to go the wider 245/315 route, hopefully next year or two the 315s will be more readily available. There's a chance that the sticky Falken RT615Ks are still out there, as they seem to get good reviews, esp. for those who prioritize grip over mileage/durability.

Someone also suggested that stock ride height cars like mine can handle taller 295/35/18s out back, with 235/45 up front to maintain correct AWD rolling diameters. These sizes are approx 1" taller overall, so sidewalls are 1/2" taller. I think the rear would be fine and I would welcome the taller sidwall, but I am not so sure that a 26.3" tall tire would work up front. BTW, these sizes are available from Michelin Super Sports. Anyone know more about going from 30 to 35 profile?

Congrats again on the new ride...I've only owned mine since mid December, but it's been fun!

Nice car btw...
Old 04-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=seanl;12196402]Those wheels def. look like Forgestar F14s, with semi concave front / concave rear with gunmetal finish.

Last month I purchased a set of 18" F14s with customer offsets and super deep rear concavity. Based on a ton of research it appears that these wheels are plenty strong for street/canyon/track use. There are literally dozens of Porsche and Corvette guys running Forgestars hard on the track. Ultimately, I may end up using my stock wheels for track days, but for now more than 50% of my driving is on coastal/canyon roads and I'm not overly concerned about the Forgestars holding up -- I'm way more concerned about not seeing a crater size pothole here in SF on my way out of the City!

Regarding tire choice, I'm presently running stock size tires, but next time around I'd really like to to go the wider 245/315 route, hopefully next year or two the 315s will be more readily available. There's a chance that the sticky Falken RT615Ks are still out there, as they seem to get good reviews, esp. for those who prioritize grip over mileage/durability.

Someone also suggested that stock ride height cars like mine can handle taller 295/35/18s out back, with 235/45 up front to maintain correct AWD rolling diameters. These sizes are approx 1" taller overall, so sidewalls are 1/2" taller. I think the rear would be fine and I would welcome the taller sidwall, but I am not so sure that a 26.3" tall tire would work up front. BTW, these sizes are available from Michelin Super Sports. Anyone know more about going from 30 to 35 profile?

Congrats again on the new ride...I've only owned mine since mid December, but it's been fun!

Old 04-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Those wheels def. look like Forgestar F14s, with semi concave front / concave rear with gunmetal finish.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=seanl;12196415]Those wheels def. look like Forgestar F14s, with semi concave front / concave rear with gunmetal finish.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I did a pretty exhaustive tire analysis recently. I believe you re correct, that going up on the 18" sidewall size to 235/45-18 front and 295/35-18 rear. These are available in my favorite (Mich PSS). I have heard these will also work in terms the front fender wells, and they will work in terms of tire diameter for the AWD...being 255/40-18 front and 295/35-18 rear...and these add some front tread width vs rear, which can help cure some of the understeer.

I may pick up 19" F14's or CF10's for my ride, and run 235/40-19 and 305/30-19.

Originally Posted by seanl

Nice car btw...

Quick Reply: Back in a Porsche!