Sponsored by:

My condolences

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My condolences

Been hit with a few (2) days of icy conditions and turbo has been waiting patiently. My hat goes off to you guys living through months of not being able to drive. I bet yall have some spotless cars though. Makes these cars feel new again when they sit for a while.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Likewise. I felt so guilty enjoying my car with the windows down in the 70 degree weather today here in San Diego.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been a painful winter up here in MI, but there are parts that have it worse off, like Boston. First nice day though, we will be out in force!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sat in my car last night and made engine noises......
Old 02-28-2015, 10:35 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the first year I stored my Porsche at a location other than my own garage. A member of my PCA chapter offers storage in his barn. It is heated and everyone gets access to an electrical outlet for a trickle charger. I managed to get the last spot. He is an older gentleman from Germany. It really was just a pleasure speaking to him. He raced for several years. We went into his office and looked at some of this trophies and pictures of his old race cars.
His barn is full of great cars. I parked next to a 930 with a roll cage. He had 993's in pristine condition, more cooled porches, some Mercedes-his own r107 that he purchased new in Germany, a w140 coupe that looks like it could still be on the showroom floor and much, much more. I was so amazed that I missed the huge boat that he had in the dead middle of the barn.
I really can't wait to go back not only to get my 996TT but also to look around again for a minute.

Just a few more months.......just a few more months.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 PM
MDKK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel bad reading this, I got my 996tt in mid November and been driving it every chance I get when the roads are dry. Maybe I should treat her better and not take her out in the cold, but I can't resist...
Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDKK
I feel bad reading this, I got my 996tt in mid November and been driving it every chance I get when the roads are dry. Maybe I should treat her better and not take her out in the cold, but I can't resist...
I'm the same. I've been racking up miles in the cold snow and ice. Loving every mile.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not the ice and snow that worries me, it is the salt
Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ChemMan
Agreed same here. Expect the roads to be clear some time in late April
Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 AM
MDKK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed.
Surprisingly enough the roads have been dry where I am, even with all the snow. I'm used to the slush, being from the great white north, and I'm never out in those conditions.
It's been cold but the serious snow didn't start until mid Jan. Having said that, the car gets washed minimum once a week, sometimes twice!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rinse my car down once or twice a week just to clean the salt off. Pain in the neck but still worth it.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
I rinse my car down once or twice a week just to clean the salt off. Pain in the neck but still worth it.
I still belive that itīs not enough to keep that crap away from damaging the car longterm. Besides, driving on snow is a PITA, you canīt really enjoy the car. Itīs cold, dark, slippery, you canīt drive fast etc etc.

Iīd love to be able to drive the car on a track during winter, just have fun and "drift" around.

Oh well, 4 more weeks and the suffering is over.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:05 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Driving a car like this with salt on the road is nuts unless you have no choice. I always keep more then one car I like to drive, older Audis are a blast to drive and much more disposable. I can see why someone wouldn't want to buy an east coast car.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:36 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

the salt sucks here in PA.....theres rust here and there but oh well
I have other beaters with snow tires on them for the winters but they're usless as I get in the turbo pretty much every morning
Old 03-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

This is the first year I stored my Porsche at a location other than my own garage. A member of my PCA chapter offers storage in his barn. It is heated and everyone gets access to an electrical outlet for a trickle charger. I managed to get the last spot. He is an older gentleman from Germany. It really was just a pleasure speaking to him. He raced for several years. We went into his office and looked at some of this trophies and pictures of his old race cars.
His barn is full of great cars. I parked next to a 930 with a roll cage. He had 993's in pristine condition, more cooled porches, some Mercedes-his own r107 that he purchased new in Germany, a w140 coupe that looks like it could still be on the showroom floor and much, much more. I was so amazed that I missed the huge boat that he had in the dead middle of the barn.
I really can't wait to go back not only to get my 996TT but also to look around again for a minute.

Just a few more months.......just a few more months.
Just a word of caution. On another board, just a few days ago, a Porsche owner who had two of his cars, a newer model Porsche and something not a Porsche but still nice and worth owning (can't imagine what that would be), stored in a barn along with the cars of other owners, reported the barn caught fire and burned down and everything in the barn is a total loss.

He has insurance and I believe it will come through, though he will not be made whole again as the Porsche was customized -- nothing drastic just some nice aftermarket options the owner decided to do -- and the older car is pretty much irreplaceable. But he will get some money for his loss.

My reason for posting this is to stress be sure your car is sufficiently insured just in case, oh and the insurance is not perhaps negated by the fact the car was not stored at your house but at a removed location.

Quick Reply: My condolences