Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help justify my dream!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a very similar position and also looking for a 996tt. I say go for it. You only live once...you could get hit by a bus tomorrow or have some other similar catastrophe and never get the enjoyment.

My filter on it is if the car all of a sudden disappeared (which it won't, but imagined worst case) would I still be all right financially. Yes? Get it. Hence my continuous search. Alas I need a convertible and they are hard to find in the options I want
Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
I'm in a very similar position and also looking for a 996tt. I say go for it. You only live once...you could get hit by a bus tomorrow or have some other similar catastrophe and never get the enjoyment.

My filter on it is if the car all of a sudden disappeared (which it won't, but imagined worst case) would I still be all right financially. Yes? Get it. Hence my continuous search. Alas I need a convertible and they are hard to find in the options I want

You're lookin for a boxster as well?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
If you can finance 5k a month more power to you. I'd rather save that and in a year buy a 13 year old German masterpiece that has knock off fuch wheels and some strange complimentary after shave aroma. If I wasn't married, didn't have a daughter, mortgage, etc. I would finance this car only if I am single and the only person affected is myself. When you are married esp with kids you're priorities come third, and only when you can clearly afford.
Agree 100%!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

+3.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:18 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hm....no? Not looking for a Boxster. Looking for a 996tt Or an affordable 997.1tt. 997.2 is out of my comfortable range.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 PM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as OP but in relation to 997.1 GT3. However, I have an FJ Cruiser for a daily / hauler / dog mobile / Mammoth tripper / off-roader. If you get tired of cars quick, then keep your truck, buy the toy for < 12 months and enjoy it. If half-way through you short cycle you decide you're over it - sell it and cut your losses. If money is not really an issue, then stretch and keep the truck. You won't lose any money on the truck sale, and minimize your overall risk exposure, PLUS - you don't need to daily the TT (why daily it in the first place - takes away the magic and anticipation of pure driving joy).

just my 2c
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM
ANJ-911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everyone is overthinking this, if Bill really wants to drive the car for a year, he should have a check in the following boxes, and then go for it:

1. Be ok with losing 10-15k owning and driving the car for a year. Likely it won't be that much but things add up - taxes, depreciation, maintenance.
2. The car should have no impact on your retirement/savings/mortgage plans.
3. The car shouldn't impact your lifestyle in a negative way. Having to skip that summer vacation or ski trip because of your car is silly.

If all these are checked, go for it. You only live once and you'll sure as hell enjoy it, I think 10k for the experience of driving a 996tt is totally worth it! It may not be the "smartest" thing to do financially but it is one of the most fun especially when your young and healthy.

Good luck with the decision!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:28 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

^ and that is the distinct voice of reason. it read to me like few of those boxes were checked.

but who am i to give financial advice!? i've made and lost millions and my favorite toy is a 12 yr old 96t, so i would hope no one ever listens to me! ha

but the above advise is solid, and far less snarky and dismissive that mine ever is, so perhaps the op - if he isn't know shopping for a used 08 335i i LOL - will take some of it to heart. whatever happens, he ain't THAT solvent, hence his "query" and advice no one wants to hear that followed the initial query.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:54 PM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
3. The car shouldn't impact your lifestyle in a negative way. Having to skip that summer vacation or ski trip because of your car is silly.
Wouldn't this depend on how much you do or don't enjoy what you're driving in the meantime?

As I consider my options and determine what I'm comfortable dropping on a P car I think I could forgo that summer vacation if it was the difference between a 996TT or a 996.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
This is a true statement. Imagine the "benefits" of being in you're early 20's with this car.
If you're talking about attracting women, thats pretty pathetic.

2. The car should have no impact on your retirement/savings/mortgage plans.
2. Ok, maybe its just me, but I save money to eventually buy things. I don't save money to count a bank balance the day before my death. If savings isn't used for purchases, whats it used for?

3. bull****. Again, maybe just me, but if the car hits me for an $8k repair, whether I can afford it easily or not, I might consider not taking a trip that year. Such generalizations are asinine.

Look, the guy is buying a $45k car. He seems as if he makes a decent income and has some money saved. Yes, the cars can cost $10k in repairs, but that is generally unlikely ($4k, i'd give you).

I would hope that any of us playing this game could eat $10k and not move to the shelter.

Its all about balance and risk aversion. Some people would rather drive a camry for the next 50 years to save another buck before they keel over. Others would rather finance a ferrari for 10 years with nothing down.

I think this guy is in between and having a little fun before some real responsibility comes into his life and I think thats just fine. But wtf do I know, I have 2 911 turbos.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 PM
ANJ-911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
2. Ok, maybe its just me, but I save money to eventually buy things. I don't save money to count a bank balance the day before my death. If savings isn't used for purchases, whats it used for?

3. bull****. Again, maybe just me, but if the car hits me for an $8k repair, whether I can afford it easily or not, I might consider not taking a trip that year. Such generalizations are asinine.
2. Well, then it seems you're retirement/savings/mortgage plans weren't inhibited by buying 2 911 T's .

3. Maybe that is a bit of a generalization, but I know I'd feel like an idiot if I had to tell my friends and girlfriend "Nah, I can't go on that trip this year because I drive a Porsche 911 Turbo", seems pretty backwards to me.

I was in a very similar situation as the OP this past July, although not married and no plans for kids any time soon, but do feel more responsibility is imminent, and I said F-it, I've been working so hard these past years, I've saved up a good amount of money, I'll still be able to do all the things I want to do plus some p-car stuff if I buy it, so I went for it and so far it's been a great decision!

I think he should go for it too but if he thinks it's only gonna cost him 2K and is banking on the fact that the car won't depreciate, maybe he shouldn't. I know I wouldn't want my 911 to be more of a burden than a benefit.

Last edited by ANJ-911; 03-04-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:47 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

But wtf do I know, I have 2 911 turbos.
Did you end up buying a 996tt?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

If you're talking about attracting women, thats pretty pathetic.
au contraire! i would question one's judgment and possibly even their predilections if they thought that being in their "20"s" and having a porsche turbo, and the possible fact that it might indeed attract "more" women were pathetic, or as possibly even playing for the other team. which would of course explain your "disdain" lol. i mean, how is a attracting women ( if one were so inclined ) at whatever age, pathetic in the least!?

soo.. which is it? you don't like women!? or just attracting them
Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

2. Well, then it seems you're retirement/savings/mortgage plans weren't inhibited by buying 2 911 T's .

3. Maybe that is a bit of a generalization, but I know I'd feel like an idiot if I had to tell my friends and girlfriend "Nah, I can't go on that trip this year because I drive a Porsche 911 Turbo", seems pretty backwards to me.

I was in a very similar situation as the OP this past July, although not married and no plans for kids any time soon, but do feel more responsibility is imminent, and I said F-it, I've been working so hard these past years, I've saved up a good amount of money, I'll still be able to do all the things I want to do plus some p-car stuff if I buy it, so I went for it and so far it's been a great decision!

I think he should go for it too but if he thinks it's only gonna cost him 2K and is banking on the fact that the car won't depreciate, maybe he shouldn't. I know I wouldn't want my 911 to be more of a burden than a benefit.
Yes, it did reduce my savings. I save money, used saved money to buy car, have to save more money. Maybe I'm missing the point.

I hear you that if you really strongly value your trip to aspen that you wouldn't want a car to impede that, but life's all about give and take. I'd rather skip out on a vacation here or there and not have to drive something boring all the time. If you absolutely, positively, can't scrape together $2k because you bought the car, then yeah, I see your point.

I guess I look at the car as a depreciating asset, but an asset none the less. It will still have the bulk of its value (assuming no catastrophe) if you need to unload it.

Originally Posted by pirahna
Did you end up buying a 996tt?
add one to that and thats your answer.

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
au contraire! i would question one's judgment and possibly even their predilections if they thought that being in their "20"s" and having a porsche turbo, and the possible fact that it might indeed attract "more" women were pathetic, or as possibly even playing for the other team. which would of course explain your "disdain" lol. i mean, how is a attracting women ( if one were so inclined ) at whatever age, pathetic in the least!?

soo.. which is it? you don't like women!? or just attracting them
Maybe I wasn't clear. Yes, some women will throw more attention at a guy with a 996 turbo. Is it wrong to play that up? No. My contention, however, is that the type of women that would want to drop their drawers because of a dudes car are likely A) golddiggers; 2) gutter trash; 3) probably a bit ho-ish.

If thats the type of woman you're after, be my guest, but I find that a bit pathetic on both the part of the woman and the guy.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Maybe I wasn't clear. Yes, some women will throw more attention at a guy with a 996 turbo. Is it wrong to play that up? No. My contention, however, is that the type of women that would want to drop their drawers because of a dudes car are likely A) golddiggers; 2) gutter trash; 3) probably a bit ho-ish.

If thats the type of woman you're after, be my guest, but I find that a bit pathetic on both the part of the woman and the guy.
well sir. you are entitled to your opinion of course. but it is your quick assumptive judgment and motivation for such disdain i was questioning. i mean, that's quite a stretch! would you..? if you had a daughter ( and perhaps you do! ) that found a man driving a porsche to be among those in the categories you so offhandedly and dismissively singled out!? would your contempt and disdain be foisted so easily upon her?!

as that, to me, would be "pathetic". i believe, "judge not, lest you BE judged, would i believe possess the higher moral ground there.

for the record sir, in my youth and for as long as i am able, i have had, and will continue to have, as much possible sex in my 911's as my advancing age will allow. lol. if even at a bit slower pace than my car is capable of. but i would sure hope that no women had EVER "dropped her drawers" ( how provincial and quaint lol ) simply becuase we were in my 911. though i do recall my 993's seats DID in fact, fully recline LOL

hilarious. 911 quakers of the world unite! against indiscriminate sex in 911's! oh the horror of it all! lol

Quick Reply: Help justify my dream!