Sponsored by:

Help justify my dream!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
I am an accountant and never once looked at how much it costs to drive, but how much I love to drive it. Money should not be the issue, either you want one or not......
I also live by that "rule". I never calculate how much it costs me to run a car, I know cars are a money pit. The only thing I do have in mind is that itīs not just the car that cost money but also insurance and maintenance, once that is covered, go for it.

If people donīt wanna lose money, easy...donīt buy cars.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 AM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, my honest opinion is if you need help justifying your dream this is a clear sign you are not capable of making an intelligent decision regarding this dream of yours. I know that sounds a bit harsh and I really didn't want it to be but I am not able to find a softer way of putting it. Let me try this: You should have, or need to develop, the ability to make these calls on your own. You are faced with the responsibility of a wife to care for now and while it may be a long time off far into the future, maybe even after you have gone. Let me be direct: After you have died. And if you and your wife have kids, then that just adds to the responsibilities. So you will be making tough choices, hard decisions, and the consequences of making the wrong decision can be severe and unpleasant if not for you for your loved ones. If you can't know for sure this is the right thing for you at this time to do then my opinion is this is a good sign it is clearly not the right thing for you to do at this time. Gee, I'm not so sure that's any less harsh, but it is I think the "truth".
This post wreaks of self righteous arrogance. It's quite hilarious actually. Just because a guy wants to bounce some ideas off other porsche enthusiasts doesn't make him incapable of making decisions.

Also people are making this seem like he's making 15 bucks an hour and buying a new Ferrari by selling his soul.

Give the guy a break. If he buys a tt and decides it was a bad idea, so what, he sells it and moves on. It's not a big deal.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

5ive0: I agree exactly with your above comment. Its not like buying this car will destroy his life.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:14 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

why is everyone given to extreme? e.g. "destroying his life". such all or nothing thinking here lol.

he was asking about the fiscal sensibility of buying a used once 125k+ sports car as a DD and selling a truck that costs nearly nothing to drive.

geez, i'm glad many of you dont advise my financial decisions. i'd be hurtin for certain.

just get the car, tell us in a year what it's cost you to drive it, what the depreciations is/was, and whether you thought you'd planned well for a high end german car as a DD in place of a truck lol. still laughable.

but the wisest thing I've read here yet, is it IS just a 40/45 k car but yet, it doesn't have a WARRANTY! deep pockets or costly error. i wanna watch. just keep the truck..and get the car, and keep eating dinners at home lol
Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This guy hasn't responded yet, I bet he didn't expect all the fatherly advice. Dumbest most awesome thing I ever bought was this car. Best money I ever spent. Spent 15k on granite for the kitchen last year, and havnt figured out how to drive that. When faced with the rock or car question i prefer the car. Buy it and post pictures or buy some granite.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:58 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I'm glad I do not come here for financial advice here either lol. People do things and then try to justify. When your married and especially have children a fancy car should be at the bottom of the list. I will not give anymore advice on this subject as no one wants to hear it. Atrox your smart enough to know the granite was a choice made for the enjoyment of the family/wife= why do I bother lol.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Yes I'm glad I do not come here for financial advice here either lol. People do things and then try to justify. When your married and especially have children a fancy car should be at the bottom of the list. I will not give anymore advice on this subject as no one wants to hear it. Atrox your smart enough to know the granite was a choice made for the enjoyment of the family/wife= why do I bother lol.
Lol, yes sir. In all seriousness if I had to finance this car I never would have bought one.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes and that's why I say your smart!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:38 PM
MertleTurtle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that I bought my first dream car (Exige) at a young age (22) after hunting for a good deal, I made sure to buy a daily with it... I wouldn't want my car that costs a terrible amount to fix (plus no dealer/known mechanics near by) to be my daily. My Exige is treated more like a sport bike, and I have my daily awd/weather car. I feel I made the right choice of jumping on buying my Exige because I had a backup car. I think if you're ready to possibly have an expensive repair that could take a big amount of time and still make it to work, then go for it!

Words of advice I sort of listened to : if you can afford it new, then buy it used. Being when you move into this category of pricing, a clutch in a porsche is much more than a F150.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

^ exactly. from a presumably younger guy in full possesion of critical thinking skills. besides, i'd be dreaming about the ***** i'd be missing if got married anyway. not a fkn car. ha
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
^ exactly. from a presumably younger guy in full possesion of critical thinking skills. besides, i'd be dreaming about the ***** i'd be missing if got married anyway. not a fkn car. ha
This is a true statement. Imagine the "benefits" of being in you're early 20's with this car.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Lol, yes sir. In all seriousness if I had to finance this car I never would have bought one.
Is it something wrong with buying a car on finance? I know people that drive 991 Turbo Sīs, 458īs and such and those cars are on finance. Finance doesnīt mean people canīt afford them.

Some people wonīt even buy new cars, despite having enough to cash them, just because they lose too much money.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Atrox
This is a true statement. Imagine the "benefits" of being in you're early 20's with this car.
oh, i had a 53xk120M long hood jag on my 16th b'day. bought it myself. trust me, it didn't hurt. but that'd just be one MORE reason to get the car. ***** is fairly expensive too when the turnover rate is high. but flippin girls is more fun than flippin cars.

marriage is funny. one of my favorite philosophers, Voltaire said of marriage, that it was the "last vestige of the timid". don't tell me this guy would not have to sit down on the couch and handhold her while explaining the virtues of his "decision" to dump the truck, and get a 13 year old german sports car all the while extolling the practical aspects of this ( ahem ) joint decision. lol

ahh, buy the fkn thing. please and tell me in a year, what it cost to run next to ( better be ) paid for truck. i cant stop. this sh*t's hilarious.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Berra
Is it something wrong with buying a car on finance? I know people that drive 991 Turbo Sīs, 458īs and such and those cars are on finance. Finance doesnīt mean people canīt afford them.

Some people wonīt even buy new cars, despite having enough to cash them, just because they lose too much money.

those folks are writing them off/leasing and or owned thru a corp! A.. or B have enough dough to buy them cash. of that i am sure.

you dont go on a forum and ask if you can afford some freakin expensive *** sports car, explain that selling your DD is a net requirement of said decision, and not expect the truth to come flooding back at you lol

geez, may be i'll just request a name change to dreamkiller oy.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Atrox
Drifting

If you can finance 5k a month more power to you. I'd rather save that and in a year buy a 13 year old German masterpiece that has knock off fuch wheels and some strange complimentary after shave aroma. If I wasn't married, didn't have a daughter, mortgage, etc. I would finance this car only if I am single and the only person affected is myself. When you are married esp with kids you're priorities come third, and only when you can clearly afford.

Quick Reply: Help justify my dream!