Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help justify my dream!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it!! I haven't stop smiling since. Just the sight of that sexy *** is enough to justify the buy. The wife was PO for a day or so but she'll get over it and best of all I'm happy. One draw back is since the 911 is my dream car, after buying I kinda lost interest in any other cars.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm older 56 and at this point in my life can tell you flat out a car is one of the biggest wastes of money known to man. The money spent on a car such as the 996tt should in my opinion be disposable income only. I know I make no friends with such comments but say it only to help younger guys that may get caught up in the gotta have it state of mind. Every week I read another post about someone selling their car and seeing the hard dollars lost with upkeep and especially modding. It all sounds great until its time to sell and move on= as my father told me its a lot harder to save a thousand then to spend it.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:24 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

If you are planning on only keeping it a year then wait. It may cost you too much to only keep for a year. If you are going to keep it go for it, and if you have any big repairs you can average the costs over a number of years. Be sure to have a ppi done. Many people do dd these cars. If your concern is a baby...babies love 911s! Another thought is why not pick up a cheaper dd and share driving duty with the 911. Also if you have any big repairs you can do it yourself and use the other car. Oh, to save on repairs don't let the wife drive er, but by her a nice set of earings...no lol.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I'm older 56 and at this point in my life can tell you flat out a car is one of the biggest wastes of money known to man. The money spent on a car such as the 996tt should in my opinion be disposable income only. I know I make no friends with such comments but say it only to help younger guys that may get caught up in the gotta have it state of mind. Every week I read another post about someone selling their car and seeing the hard dollars lost with upkeep and especially modding. It all sounds great until its time to sell and move on= as my father told me its a lot harder to save a thousand then to spend it.
+1. I just turned 50 and feel the same way. To buy one of these "toys", my belief is it has to be paid in cash aka disposable income. Don't forget to factor in maintenance and upkeep along with insurance.

N/A 996s are very affordable and if you find one with the IMS update, you are good to go. If not, do the IMS update for peace of mind. Start with this if you must have a Porsche, then upgrade to a turbo when/if you have more disposable income.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:41 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend an NA 996 and keeping your existing car, based on your comment to sell the TT in a year. It may take a while to sell you may lose money, who knows. You're starting a family, don't incur financial stress over a car, it's not worth it.

When the time is right and the money is of less concern pick one up. Good luck
Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

6 months into ownership and still getting to know my turbo , working on
Adjustments ( suspension etc ) to make it right for me , checking it over for issues ,
Trying it on track etc . After 1 year i think i will be ready to fully enjoy it . I would hate
To have to then sell it . Like others say , maybe a 996 would be better this time or maybe
A Boxster ( another cheap fun Porsche ) . I just got one " for the missus "
I cant believe the change in her attitude to cars and esp Porsche in the last couple of weeks !
Not counting chickens yet but it would be great to have her onboard .
Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
6 months into ownership and still getting to know my turbo , working on
Adjustments ( suspension etc ) to make it right for me , checking it over for issues ,
Trying it on track etc . After 1 year i think i will be ready to fully enjoy it . I would hate
To have to then sell it . Like others say , maybe a 996 would be better this time or maybe
A Boxster ( another cheap fun Porsche ) . I just got one " for the missus "
I cant believe the change in her attitude to cars and esp Porsche in the last couple of weeks !
Not counting chickens yet but it would be great to have her onboard .

Yeah the wife's approval is paramount.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Using the car for a year should be with disposable income. I wouldn't complicate family growth with a car that could be a mistress in a sense.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 PM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think TeCKis300 and Turbodan responded in ways that were helpful to me. I think i did a poor job of explaining /asking for help. This car won't cause issues with wife or starting a family, that is all part of the long story I won't bore you with.

So I'll re-state.

With all things being equal, if I can afford, and I can. Should I drive one of these cars for a year, if I am able to? I might keep it after a year.

My mindset is that this shouldn't be a 40K toy, it SHOULD be a 40K DD that has specific needs, and if understood, will be alot of fun for a while. I get tired of stuff pretty quick, so the year maybe too long, who knows.

Thanks for the input fella's, Bill (I'll definitely post a follow up if I get one)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knock off all this justification mumbo-jumbo. Sounds like you will be in fine shape if your wife is on board. And don't wait to have kids - they are easier to keep up with when YOU are young.

Pull the trigger man!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok then.

Permission granted.

Do it and don't look back. No one ever said I wish I had never owned a Porsche.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

I would not want to buy a 996tt with the intentions of getting rid of it in a year especially counting on getting back anywhere near what you may or may not spend on maintenance etc. Miles count big time at resale and a daily could mean 12-15k a year. You have your mind made up so I say go for it. They are best as a 40k toy and most are.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 PM
highlander
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kids *love* the TT!
My 6 year old granddaughter always asks "can we take the Turbo?"

If you get one, you'll figure out how to keep it after a year
Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

better get it soon before spring arrives and prices go up. After you get it, you will not be bored after a year. You will thank me later Now what colours and options are important to you and do you understand why you need a ppi?
also where are you located? will you wrench on it yourself? any friends with pcars? have you done any track time?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

You guys must be reading something that I'm not as goading this person into a decision that he's this unclear with is not helping him. Wait until it makes more sense and concentrate on your family.

Quick Reply: Help justify my dream!