Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found coolant leak, any ideas?

Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 PM
MadWhip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found coolant leak, any ideas?

Hard to tell by trying to see it from garage floor at night... I'm pretty sure that's coolant, now it explains few things: Wondering if anyone ever had a leak from that place, and whats above maybe someone can post a picture of the engine....whats above that area....any coolant pipes?

story: Had to add coolant few weeks ago to top it off, because it was below _low_ line, (have the car for 8 months now so i was thinking maybe it was when they changed the clutch ), since i drive the car only on weekend.

Was checking for leak last weekend, car runs, drives, no overheat, no warning lights etc,...i pull out of the garage, no leak when its fully warmed up, after 50 miles of driving it, no leak. (BUT IF car is left over night, it shows wet spot on the floor) thinking when coolant cools down it leaks----also it looks like someone used wrong coolant as well, or its just old, looks orange/yelow'ish, smells like coolant car has 47k miles, probably never changed.

Wondering if the engine needs to be dropped to fix that leak.

I took few pictures, that's rear drivers side.

Name:  QtaHbUB.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  149.7 KB

Name:  OTHPhE8.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  113.2 KB
Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

When you have a moment search Rennlist about coolant fitting failures? The main heater supply and return lines runs across the top of Bank 1 (which is above your coolant leak) The lines then run down around the bellhousing. You either have a failed coolant pipe/coolant heater hose OR the coolant fitting under the oil heat exchanger. When this one fails you lose all the engine coolant and the thermostat closes.. No coolant running thru the "remote" thermostat housing allows the thermostat to close.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found coolant leak, any ideas?