Sponsored by:

DME Swap and Ignition Range Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:01 AM
scsponger31
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME Swap and Ignition Range Question

As many of you know I had a DME failure about a year ago. Being my ADD self I never checked the ignition ranges on my original DME prior to the swap. The current DME came from IPGJAMES' car which I know had both more miles and more mods. My question is, whose ignition ranges are on the DME that is in my car?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

it would stand to reason the only readings you'll be able to access will be the ecu dump of the current one. so, if you're selling, and they ask for or do a readout, it's another cars rev 1/2's etc they'll be seeing. that kinda sucks, actually.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM
scsponger31
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
it would stand to reason the only readings you'll be able to access will be the ecu dump of the current one. so, if you're selling, and they ask for or do a readout, it's another cars rev 1/2's etc they'll be seeing. that kinda sucks, actually.
You definitely read between the lines on that one!

I have not been able to confirm, but the operating hours that come up (1900) is much more consistent with a car with twice the amount of miles that my car has.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in.

I have my original DME, I wonder if GIAC can pull the data off of it. I have only driven 1,000 miles or so since the swap.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:59 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I figured that was your dilemma and agree getting info off your old DME is your best bet. Will still take an understanding buyer.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:12 PM
scsponger31
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I figured that was your dilemma and agree getting info off your old DME is your best bet. Will still take an understanding buyer.
Indeed. To be honest, I never thought I will want to sell the car, so I never thought it would be an issue.

I wonder if I can plug my original DME into the car and pull it off with the durametric.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:20 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would believe you could do as suggested but not sure if that will work as far as recognizing DME when going back and forth= if that makes sense lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:36 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by scsponger31
As many of you know I had a DME failure about a year ago. Being my ADD self I never checked the ignition ranges on my original DME prior to the swap. The current DME came from IPGJAMES' car which I know had both more miles and more mods. My question is, whose ignition ranges are on the DME that is in my car?
You will have the time and over revs from the previous owners car. I installed a new brand new ECU in my car last year and everything was zeroed out, time and over revs. This tells me that the data stays with the DME..
Old 02-15-2015, 01:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scsponger31
You definitely read between the lines on that one!

I have not been able to confirm, but the operating hours that come up (1900) is much more consistent with a car with twice the amount of miles that my car has.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in.

I have my original DME, I wonder if GIAC can pull the data off of it. I have only driven 1,000 miles or so since the swap.
well, you HAD given me an early "clue" the thing is, as i see it is, you've got two choices..

full disclosure to a potential buyer with their option to scan your old ecu..

or. replace it with the original ecu if it's working. i think the quandary begins and end with "disclosure". you tell em whats what, and it's up to a possible buyer to decide.

i don't see it as a problem, i am just saddened that another local tt'r is trading... umm, up/down.. sideways!? for another toy lol. gl with it if you DO sell
Old 02-15-2015, 02:32 PM
scsponger31
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
well, you HAD given me an early "clue" the thing is, as i see it is, you've got two choices..

full disclosure to a potential buyer with their option to scan your old ecu..

or. replace it with the original ecu if it's working. i think the quandary begins and end with "disclosure". you tell em whats what, and it's up to a possible buyer to decide.

i don't see it as a problem, i am just saddened that another local tt'r is trading... umm, up/down.. sideways!? for another toy lol. gl with it if you DO sell
Full disclosure is key. I would feel guilty even if I omitted information accidentally.

The original DME works, other than the whole limp mode issue haha.

Originally Posted by powdrhound
You will have the time and over revs from the previous owners car. I installed a new brand new ECU in my car last year and everything was zeroed out, time and over revs. This tells me that the data stays with the DME..
That is what i figured. Thank you for the input. I will see if I can pull the data from original DME.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I have an goo ECU from a 2003 TT
if you need it
PM me
Elliot
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Frank Urbaniak
Track Day

Do you still have that ECU?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

check out www.ecudoctors.com they can do some amazing stuff. you may not need a new ecu...
Old 12-19-2018, 06:37 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Do DME boxes have serial or vin numbers on them? Is there a tell to indicate that a DME has been replaced on a car?

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Old 12-19-2018, 07:15 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

It's not especially scientific, but if you take the number of miles on the car, and divide by the operating hours on the DME, the average speed should be ~35mph. If it's much higher, the DME has likely been replaced.

Quick Reply: DME Swap and Ignition Range Question