Differences? - H&R Street Performance Coilover & KW V1 Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Differences? - H&R Street Performance Coilover & KW V1 Coilover

Hi All,

I have been researching suspension upgrades from my 2003 996 Turbo. The car is currently bone stock. I know there have been many threads posted on this subject but I have a couple specific questions that I'm still not sure of.

I would like to lower the car about 1.25-1.5" and have a feel that is livable for the street. I would love to try a DE or autox but have no experience with this type of event (I've only done 1/8 and 1/4 mile straights) but I would like to get my feet wet.

I have decided on a budget of about $2000 + install. I have narrowed my choices down to the H&R Street Performance Coilover & KW V1 Coilover. From my research I don't think I could go wrong with either of these for my application of pretty much all street with the hopes of seeing what she can do occasionally. Basically I am trying to determine if there is any reason(s) to go with one or the other. So far the only differences I have found are:

1) Constuction - I think the KW V1 are stainless steel while the H&R are coated steel? Not sure on this?

2) Adjustment range - The H&R Street Performance are rated for 1-2.25" lowering range while KW V1 optimal range are 0.9-1.5” in the front and 0.8-1.5” in the rear. (The H&R figures are from their literature, the KW figures I received in an email from their tech support. I assume that the H&R figures are the total overall range and that their "optimal range" would probably be similar to the 1-1.5" as the KW's?? Anyone have more insight into this difference?

Also, I understand that both of these kits come with drop links? In my research I found that it was highly recommended to get adjustable rear toe links as well to properly dial in alignment. Is this correct?

Is anything needed besides either of these kits + adjustable rear toe links to install and properly align the car? Are the adjustable toe links needed if not going below a 1.5" drop?

Any other differences and or reasons to choose one of these kits over the other?

Thank you in advance for any and all input!
Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not a fan of KWs and I never will be.

Bilstein makes a nice comprehensive kit.

Your BEST bet, if you were going to do it right (and on a budget) would be to get something custom valved by Koni, have Koni give you height adjustability while they're at it, and custom spring rates.

I find the off the shelf stuff to be very lowest common denominator, and with the lower priced off the shelf stuff like the H&R Street or the V1s that they build in a lot of understeer with the spring rates which isn't much fun at the track.

You also really want shock adjustability to balance the car the way you like to drive it.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The H&R street kit is a great budget kit. I'd get the H&R RSS kit. Same as the street kit but a little more track oriented as it comes with stiffer springs and valving. Same price. Not a fan of KW..
Old 02-05-2015, 08:03 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The H&R street kit is a great budget kit. I'd get the H&R RSS kit. Same as the street kit but a little more track oriented as it comes with stiffer springs and valving. Same price. Not a fan of KW..
+1
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 AM
gophaster
Pro

Thanks for the replies.

Cretinx, I did some quick searching for koni for 996 turbo and wasn't able to find anything. Do you have a link or any part numbers? I appreciate it.

Powdrhound, I was actually going to shoot you a pm bc I have read several posts where you recommend the h&r rss version. My fear with the rss version is that it will just be too stiff and I will end up with an angry wife and upset kids...lol. How much stiffer could I expect the rss to be over the street kit and/or how much stiffer than stock would it be? I'm thinking the street might be a safer bet but I think in another thread you mentioned that the rss can be altered by changing springs and the street version cannot?

Anyway. ..I appreciate any more feedback.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by gophaster
Cretinx, I did some quick searching for koni for 996 turbo and wasn't able to find anything. Do you have a link or any part numbers? I appreciate it.
PM me and I'll give you Lee Grimes at Koni's cell phone number.

Two things in your life should always be custom - your suits and your shocks (accordingly I can also give you the contact of an excellent Hong Kong tailor should you need one).
Old 02-07-2015, 05:35 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gophaster
Thanks for the replies.

Powdrhound, I was actually going to shoot you a pm bc I have read several posts where you recommend the h&r rss version. My fear with the rss version is that it will just be too stiff and I will end up with an angry wife and upset kids...lol. How much stiffer could I expect the rss to be over the street kit and/or how much stiffer than stock would it be? I'm thinking the street might be a safer bet but I think in another thread you mentioned that the rss can be altered by changing springs and the street version cannot?

Anyway. ..I appreciate any more feedback.

Thanks!
The street kit is on par or better comfort wise than OEM. The RSS is firmer but more performance oriented. It's up to you whether you want performance over comfort or vice versa. You can always put slightly softer spring on shocks that have firmer valving but stiffer springs on soft shocks will overwhelm them quickly. Asking my opinion on what kit to get is irrelevant, my car has 1500# springs so I clearly don't have street comfort at the top of my list.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 AM
gophaster
Pro

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea on the firmness of these kits vs stock. In the past I have upgraded suspensions (on VW, Audi, BMW, etc) with performance shocks plus lowering springs and the ride is always firmer. I assumed that these coilover kits would be firmer than stock as well. If the H&R Street kit is as firm or more comfy than stock then maybe the RSS is what I need!

Can the springs be changed on both the H&R RSS kits and the H&R Street kits as well? How much do the springs cost?

I got the spring rates below from a post by ECS tuning:

Stock 996TT 188 in-lb front, and 342 in-lb rear

H&R RSS Club Sport Coilovers are 340 in-lb front, and 800 in-lb rear

Anyone happen to know the spring rates of the H&R Street?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The street kit is on par or better comfort wise than OEM. The RSS is firmer but more performance oriented. It's up to you whether you want performance over comfort or vice versa. You can always put slightly softer spring on shocks that have firmer valving but stiffer springs on soft shocks will overwhelm them quickly. Asking my opinion on what kit to get is irrelevant, my car has 1500# springs so I clearly don't have street comfort at the top of my list.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM
cretinx
Racer

If your shocks are properly valved, you can run higher than factory spring rates with better than factory comfort.

It is literally mind blowing the first time you drive a car with high end / custom shocks - it shakes your faith in the very existence of reality.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:15 PM
gophaster
Pro

Lol....I'd love to have my mind blown!!! I can't imagine that having a custom setup built would be anywhere near $2000?? Does koni offer a threaded (ride height adjustable shock) for 996TT?

Originally Posted by cretinx
If your shocks are properly valved, you can run higher than factory spring rates with better than factory comfort.

It is literally mind blowing the first time you drive a car with high end / custom shocks - it shakes your faith in the very existence of reality.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:07 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

That's very much true. My JRZ Pros with 1100/1200lb rates drove better than my previous JRZ RS1s with 700/800 or PSS9 or H&R streets. Quality shocks are the key but a top notch set up will run you $8k or more with all the trimmings... With that said, the H&Rs are still a great budget set up far better than stock..
Old 02-09-2015, 01:48 PM
gophaster
Pro

Powdrhound, are you saying that both the h&r streets and rss are better than stock setup or just the rss? At the moment I am between the h&r streets and the rss version. Im really intrigued by the rss but I'm just worried they will be too harsh.

I'm waiting on a reply from h&r on the spring rates of the street setup.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Your BEST bet, if you were going to do it right (and on a budget) would be to get something custom valved by Koni, have Koni give you height adjustability while they're at it, and custom spring rates.
Going that route would not be what he's looking for and if I was going custom, Koni would be low on that list.

Gophaster, stick with Powdrhounds recommendation and maybe compare the Bilsteins while your at it. If you want to spend some extra cash for a "Road & Track" kit, the Ohlins DFVs are another option.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:15 PM
cretinx
Racer

custom Konis are not as expensive as you think. I got quoted for revalving an existing set at $450 per corner (this assumes you already own a set of yellows) - so $800 for the shocks and $1,800 for the revalve - still peanuts compared to the other overpriced crap out there.

Koni will match a set of springs and adjustable perches to the entire setup - you just need to figure out your spring rates (pretty easy calculation once you have the right information).
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

No, it's not $2600, and your math is wrong. Still missing springs, top mounts, drop links, brackets, etc.

Quick Reply: Differences? - H&R Street Performance Coilover & KW V1 Coilover