Sponsored by:

Differences? - H&R Street Performance Coilover & KW V1 Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said $2,600 for SHOCKS.

Springs are another $75/corner - the adjustable coils are also $75/corner - so another $600 - $3,200 for a custom setup which is effective and reasonable.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback. I understand the point cretinx is making. It's not a huge amount more and I could probably get exactly what I'm looking for with a custom setup... at least having all the options on the table I can make a better decision.

At this point I think I'm between the H&R street and rss. I heard back from H&R today regarding the specs for the H&R Streets. Looks like Powdrhound was on the money when he said the H&R Street were equal OR more compliant than stock:

H&R Street 996TT 250 in-lb front, and 260 in-lb rear (P/N 29462-2)

Stock 996TT 188 in-lb front, and 342 in-lb rear

H&R RSS Club Sport Coilovers are 340 in-lb front, and 800 in-lb rear

H&R also gave me the specs on the 996C4/C4S version of the Street Coilover. part number 29462-1 I will post specs to just in case someone stumbles on this thread looking for info: 210 front and 250 rear.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:16 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
At this point I think I'm between the H&R street and rss. I heard back from H&R today regarding the specs for the H&R Streets. Looks like Powdrhound was on the money when he said the H&R Street were equal OR more compliant than stock:

H&R Street 996TT 250 in-lb front, and 260 in-lb rear (P/N 29462-2)

Stock 996TT 188 in-lb front, and 342 in-lb rear

H&R RSS Club Sport Coilovers are 340 in-lb front, and 800 in-lb rear

H&R also gave me the specs on the 996C4/C4S version of the Street Coilover. part number 29462-1 I will post specs to just in case someone stumbles on this thread looking for info: 210 front and 250 rear.
You have to realize that the rear springs used on the H&R street kit have a progressive rate and there is really no easy way to quote that as a single number. What H&R gave you is probably the initial rate which at 260 is very soft. The rate will go up with more compression. With that said, the rear rate will be closer to 500-550 in reality, which is comparable to other kits like PSS10s.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:31 PM
gophaster
Pro

Originally Posted by powdrhound
You have to realize that the rear springs used on the H&R street kit have a progressive rate and there is really no easy way to quote that as a single number. What H&R gave you is probably the initial rate which at 260 is very soft. The rate will go up with more compression. With that said, the rear rate will be closer to 500-550 in reality, which is comparable to other kits like PSS10s.

Makes perfect sense. While the rss are not progressive I believe.

I drove the car for some hours today around town and on some less than ideal roads (again the car is bone stock right now)...I know for track guys stock is probably ridiculously soft but for me especially cruising around town with the other half and/or one of my kids (or both of them) realistically will be 99% of the time, I don't think I want to deviate too far from a slightly firmer than stock ride... I think the H&R streets may be my best bet. Perhaps down the road I can revisit and go another route if/when track time creeps over 1%. Thanks again to all that posted for all the great info.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:04 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Old thread......but hope you don't mind my circling back to ask how you made out.
Did you go with H&R Streets?
For what it's worth, there may be a current issue with the RSS model and I was looking to see if there was any other info on it.
The issue is with the current threaded body not having any room for 'up' adjust in the rear.
I'm not aware of the Streets having any issue w/this.......so hope you did not.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:11 AM
gophaster
Pro

Sorry for the late reply. Would you believe that I have still not made a decision!!! Actually, I'm really not in a rush, lol

I have continued to research the suspension choices. I still think my best bet for my use is H&R Street Coilovers but I have been a little side tracked at the moment with looking into the Ohlins DFV. My initial plan was to get the H&R Streets and slap them on the car for now, consensus being that they would allow me to lower the car to the height I want and offer better than stock ride quality + better than stock performance at a great price point. Then later on down the road I could upgrade to something better IF I decided I had too. Now I'm just trying to rule out whether I should spend a bit more and get something that perhaps would even further increase the performance of the car. I'm very close to ordering the H&R Streets but I just want to rule everything else out first.

I will update the thread with whatever I FINALLY decide
Old 08-11-2015, 03:38 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Why the lack of support for KW in this thread? A couple of you mentioned not being a fan but didn't elaborate. I'm not suspension shopping at the moment, but I always thought they were well regarded.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Why the lack of support for KW in this thread? A couple of you mentioned not being a fan but didn't elaborate. I'm not suspension shopping at the moment, but I always thought they were well regarded.
Good point.
KW v3 is a credible solution..........may be too low for some......2-3 times the cost of H&R (depending on whether you are shopping Street or RSS)......some say too firm for street, others say not enough for track.
KW ClubSports over $5K.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 AM
gophaster
Pro

I think the KW's are generally well regarded as are the H&R and Bilstein. I don't think that's the issue. I think the main issue is that pretty much all these $2k - $3k options are still mainly geared towards street applications and they will all do well on a mainly street oriented car. In fact I think these options are probably better for someone with a street car. The issues creep up when you start entertaining the idea of perhaps some day tracking the car but still want a comfortable ride on the street.

In a perfect world I would like to lower my car to about GT2 ride height, have a nice and firm but not harsh ride on the street AND increase the cars performance on the track.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I think the KW's are generally well regarded as are the H&R and Bilstein. I don't think that's the issue. I think the main issue is that pretty much all these $2k - $3k options are still mainly geared towards street applications and they will all do well on a mainly street oriented car. In fact I think these options are probably better for someone with a street car. The issues creep up when you start entertaining the idea of perhaps some day tracking the car but still want a comfortable ride on the street.

In a perfect world I would like to lower my car to about GT2 ride height, have a nice and firm but not harsh ride on the street AND increase the cars performance on the track.
THe H&R RSS does that. I am quite happy with them, I had pss9's before and the RSS just works great on track on more compliant on the street.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM
gophaster
Pro

On paper the RSS does seem like a great choice and I have been going back and forth on those too. I am just terrified of the ride being too harsh on the street. Do you know what the minimum drop is on the RSS? I think the RSS sit pretty darn low.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
THe H&R RSS does that. I am quite happy with them, I had pss9's before and the RSS just works great on track on more compliant on the street.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I would have liked the RSS to work for me since they would have been a cheep replacement......but as mentioned earlier, what Tire Rack shipped (as H&R RSS) are no longer correct.
Letting the car down from the heist after install and we'd see the tires were basically resting on the inside of the rear wheel well......no room for up-adjust on the threaded shock body.

My set-up has been low for years (GT3 height, 109/120mm) for years.....but this was too low with no room for adjustment. So....advice would be to 'qualify' what is being shipped, if you opt for that system.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GreggT
I would have liked the RSS to work for me since they would have been a cheep replacement......but as mentioned earlier, what Tire Rack shipped (as H&R RSS) are no longer correct.
Letting the car down from the heist after install and we'd see the tires were basically resting on the inside of the rear wheel well......no room for up-adjust on the threaded shock body.

My set-up has been low for years (GT3 height, 109/120mm) for years.....but this was too low with no room for adjustment. So....advice would be to 'qualify' what is being shipped, if you opt for that system.
I went though my local H&R dealer. I don't think there is really much of any height adjustment for them. My rears are set at max height and my fronts somewhere in the middle. I may have gone lower in the rear but its very close as it is with 315's on the rear. 295's would tuck in well which would allow it to be set lower.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM
gophaster
Pro

Did they ship you incorrect parts, or? Did they help you resolve this?

Originally Posted by GreggT

Old 08-11-2015, 12:00 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

On paper the RSS does seem like a great choice and I have been going back and forth on those too. I am just terrified of the ride being too harsh on the street. Do you know what the minimum drop is on the RSS? I think the RSS sit pretty darn low.
They are not too harsh, actually very complainant. I have max height set on mine and it is very low all though I've seen people actually even go lower running stock tire widths but I wouldn't go lower so essentially makes it an un-adjustable choice in my case.

Quick Reply: Differences? - H&R Street Performance Coilover & KW V1 Coilover