Old 01-29-2015, 04:05 AM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts
Default "Blue Dream" Minerva Blue 996TT - Journey Thread

Hi Guys,

I’m proud to say that I’m now a 1st time Porsche owner with my soon to arrive Ruf RTurbo conversion Minerva Blue 996 Turbo!!
Recently purchased from 911-AL

This thread will be dedicated to the journey of the vehicle from where it has been, where it is now, and where it’s going to go in the future.. A lot of the future mods will happen with input from the forums and other social media platforms to really take something that is already unique, and make it into something even more spectacular.

The CSF Cooling ‘Blue Dream’ 996TT Ruf R Turbo Conversion

See the listing with all the specs and more pics of the car here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-champion.html

The Seller
Before I go any further, I just went to give a big shout out and tip my hat to Al (seller of the car). Over the last month, we’ve talked on the phone many times for many hours to go over the vehicle as well as handle all the logistics of test drive, payment, and delivery. I even made arrangements to fly to Chicago for 15 hours so that I could see the car and go for a test drive (a little hungover). This was actually my 1st used car purchase experience (let alone my 1st P car) and Al was kind enough to walk me through the whole process. He has been a pleasure to deal with, and a great guy to get to know through the whole buying process. I see big things in his future in regards to selling Porsches, and I give him an A++ rating to do business with.

The Buyer
As the owner of the race division of CSF, I’ve been wanting to get a car that could be used as a company demo vehicle which was able to showcase our products and brand ethos of “true originality and passion for the automotive industry’ to the community of automotive enthusiast both locally in California at events, track days, rallies, etc… as well as around the world through the internet.
Over the last couple of years the Porsche platform has really grown for our all-aluminum cooling systems, and sales have taken off tremendously. It’s now our #1 platform by far, and continues to grow. Thank you all for all the support and for taking a chance on CSF!!
This car ticked off all the boxes that I was looking for, and it felt like the perfect car to get! (more on this later in the thread)

The Buying Story
I was actually looking at a stock basalt black on black 996TT in Orange County at the beginning of December. While I was getting the keys for the test drive some douche bag walked in and bought the car from right under me. (Very Clean / 12,000 miles / sold for $49,500). I was crushed at the time as I thought that was the perfect car and platform to build something special for the brand. It was price right and lowest miles I’d had seeing yet…. In hindsight, I’m glad it didn’t happen ☺
I started going through the classifieds on rennlist and searching the Internet for a couple of more weeks before I came up on Al’s listing for the vehicle that he had originally posted back in the middle of October ’14. He had closed the thread because of trolling so I pm’ed him on 12/30/2014 to see if the car was still available. He said it was.
Over the next couple of weeks we talked for several hours on the phone, and I was able to stop by in Chicago on my way home to So-Cal from my office in Toronto to see the car.
The car was exactly as advertised, and in pristine condition! Mint both inside and out.

Side Note: Al told me that he had gotten an offer from someone in Canada who was willing to take the car at a higher price, without checking it out, and close the deal faster than I could. He however choose to give me 1st right of refusal when the other person was ready to move, and actually sold me the car at a lower price because he knew the car was going to be going to someone who would really appreciate it, and keep it in the Porsche enthusiast scene. I respect that of him immensely.

Last week the money was wire to Al’s account, and the vehicle was picked up in IL on Monday from Al’s house. It is scheduled to be delivered on Friday. I can’t wait!!

The Price
If you’ve read this far, I’m sure you’re wondering what the car was sold for.. Full disclosure the car was sold for $72,000 + a few SEMA tickets for Al and his friends.
Definitely the high side of the spectrum for the 996 turbo platform (might be the highest for used 996 Turbo in recent memory). After CA registration cost and enclosed transportation fees ($1650), I’m teetering in the high 70’s for this car.
I know that this is WAY more than 99.9% of Porsche owners would ever pay for a 996TT. However I can easily justify it to myself, and I think that is all that matters… We all know the sayin’ of “stock cars will appreciate and sell easier than a modified one” I believe there is always a buyer for a well tuned, maintained, and tastefully modified Porsche.. They are far outnumbered by the people who are looking for stock (or very lightly modified), but they are out there. I’m one of those people, and I think I got a very fair deal on this car…

Justification
A solid, well maintained, low miles (15,000-30,000), 6 speed 996TT can be found for $45,000.. A great to mint condition 996TT in a highly desired color (silver, black, white, red) will go for $50k-$53,000. Let use this as the basis to start with ($50,000)
- This car had a 1/1 unique factory paint job. In my head this commands a $5,000 premium. Pictures don’t do this car justice; you really have to see it in person to appreciate the Minerva blue paint factory paint job.

- The exterior modifications can’t even really be purchased anymore (RUF bits) or are super high end (Techart wing), and have been installed & painted with OEM look and quality. I would say this is another $4000-$5000 added to the cost of the car.

- You now get into the engine work, brakes, transmission, suspension, and wheels (I took the mint Ruf wheels), you are easily looking at $15,000+ in mods + labor..

- When you look in the interior, it’s not even a question that this car is in “Like New” condition.. The seats have been reconditioned and look brand new, even better than the car I had looked at with just 12,000 miles. This has to be worth an extra $2000 at least.

At this point, I’ve justified to myself that this car is worth the negotiated price.. Now this doesn’t even take into account the insane amount of preventative maintenance that has already been done on the car (which I hopefully will not have to deal with in the future). It’s in 10/10 condition, and the intangibles that come along with this car make it well worth the price. My budget was $70k for a car, and I felt that I hit it right on the money!

Sure I could have got a 997 Turbo for around the same price, but it would have been stock, normal color, no mods, and it wouldn’t have been what I was looking for as a company demo vehicle. I would have needed to spend another $20,000-$30,000 and a few months of time to get the car to show car / demo vehicle ready.. With this purchase, I’m good to go right off the bat with something that is truly unique, and extremely difficult to replicate. You can’t really say that about the 997 Turbo platform (Believe me when I say this, I’ve been around 100’s of them, and I also had the 1st ever Liberty Walk 997 Turbo in my booth at the SEMA show).

Al explained to me the history of this car, and as the 4th owner I look to build upon everything that the previous owner’s have done.. There is a lot of history and passion behind this build, and I took this into account when making this purchase. I look to spread the joy of the Porsche brand the automotive industry, and hopefully be able to build upon an already great 996TT

The Future
The good people at GMG will care and maintain the car. They (and only they) will be performing all the work on the vehicle for as long as I own it. GMG owner, Fabryce, really took a chance on CSF when I first started to get into the Euro market, and he has become a good friend and mentor to me. He’s also helped me with his great advice during the process of looking for the right Porsche.

Mods coming up soon in 2015:
- Obviously the 1st mod is going to be putting a fresh set of CSF all-aluminum 996TT radiators on this baby (DUH!!)

- I’m also working on a set of all-aluminum intercoolers which are going to rock the market with technology and performance, My car will be getting the 1st set in the next 2-3 months, and will be available soon after.
- Really looking to get a GMG exhaust as well.
- GMG roll-bar powder coated Minerva blue to match exterior
- Sport Seats with Scroth 6-point harnesses in Gray
- Custom decal/livery design by KI studios

Vision
The vision for this car is “California Cool” The car is back in it’s original state of California, and I’m going to really bring out the epitome of the California car culture with this ride. The wood grain interior at 1st was a draw back for me, but when I saw it in person, it really hit me that it was “touring car like” and would be the perfect mix of driving down PCH with the top down.. Ready to take it to the track on the weekends.. Just because it hasn’t been done, doesn’t mean it can’t.. I was thinking about swapping the wood out for carbon fiber, but it the long run the wood will hold up, and I'm going to see how it looks with the other interior mods before making any decisions..

Stay Tuned, and chime in with your thoughts..

So-Cal beach pictures coming this weekend hopefully!!

Cheers,

Ravi
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool story and a well known car. Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice ride!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:22 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Congrats Ravi (and Al)!
Enjoy it well, beautiful TT.
Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Love that wood trimed interior.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great write up and its nice to see transparency of the sale. Good luck hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by rmc1148; 01-29-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:11 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 993GT
Congrats Ravi (and Al)!
Enjoy it well, beautiful TT.
Cheers,
Rob
Rob you get a special shout out also. You were the one who got the Porsche turbo radiators started!! You have a big part in this as well
Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW. Great story here. Looks like a "win-win" for all. Congrats on a very special car indeed.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice looking car!! Congrats!!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - that is bloody gorgeous; would love the wood interior.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Thanks Ravi, but all I did was present an opportunity, you did all the rest! Glad to see so many jumping on-board for a great product, the Porsche community is the best
Might have to chat about getting another set(or two) of rads from you this year

Best Regards,
Rob

Originally Posted by CSF Cooling
Rob you get a special shout out also. You were the one who got the Porsche turbo radiators started!! You have a big part in this as well
Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Ravi i'm really glad that the car went home to California where the first owner resides. I know I'm going to miss this car but I'm glad that it will live on in spotlight and will see some serious love in your garage. This car is just what the doctor ordered to bring some much needed street cred to the 996TT.

-Al
Old 02-02-2015, 01:28 AM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Got the car delivered on Friday afternoon, and basically drove it all weekend..

Cruising down PCH with the windows down and sunroof open at sunset, just had to scream out in joy.."Woooooooo"

I had a blast all weekend in the car driving solo, with a couple of buddies of mine that I gave some rides to, as well as my girl.. Although when I took it to my parent's house.. my mom refused to get in for a ride "Way too low for me" lol

Went to cars&coffee on Saturday morning, and even though I got there late, and parked the car towards the back, many people came up to it to take pictures/admire the vehicle.. Al also put me in touch with a good friend of his who was there as well.. (Thanks AL!)

Car is going to GMG on Tuesday to get some small issues looked at which I want to get checked out, all-aluminum 3 piece radiator set-up, changing the Pagid race pads for something more street (and less squeaky), and a few other things which I will report back on after.. Basically, I'm looking to get the car absolutly dialed in to my driving style.

For now enjoy some pics of the car back in the state that it was meant for!

Cheers all..

Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful Car.
It will be nice to have another Turbo in Newport Beach.
My car is at GMG right now getting a new lightweight flywheel, clutch and PSS10's.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:13 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
Beautiful Car.
It will be nice to have another Turbo in Newport Beach.
My car is at GMG right now getting a new lightweight flywheel, clutch and PSS10's.
No Way.. I must have seeing it there yesterday when I was dropping my car off, and having a meeting about developing some new parts with them... I see your handle is "CDM" I also live in CDM - across from Gina's Pizza on Iris.. PM your info, let's go for a cruise sometime, and meet up

Quick Reply: "Blue Dream" Minerva Blue 996TT - Journey Thread