Sponsored by:

Sportec Replica/One Off Lip

Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportec Replica/One Off Lip

Cross-post from 6sp

Ive been a big fan of the Sportec lip ever since I started looking at 996's. It seems to be the least cow-catcher'y of the ones available for the turbo bumper. Sadly, it is no longer made and I have not found any replicas to date.

Just curious if there are other people on here who would be interested in having a shop mock one up. It would probably end up being a piece that is designed from the ground up since I have yet to see a used lip go on sale that could be used as a mold.

Note: This is not a group buy thread nor a thread for any specific vendor. I just want to see if there is any interest in it to check around.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rock it.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bottom piece which usually get scuffed up can be had from Ebay for $300 or less - what do you want ?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:20 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Originally Posted by x50type

The bottom piece which usually get scuffed up can be had from Ebay for $300 or less - what do you want ?
The aero lip is a little too cow-catcher for me. I think the Sportech one looks amazing on the car which is why Im trying to find a way to get it made (or something that looks very similar).

Everyone has different tastes and priorities so it might not be for all. Im just trying to add another option for people who like this style.

Im going to ask around a couple shops to see what they would be interested in making it in and what price range they think it would be for what number of buyers etc.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Ok, understand, but the 'lip' or spoiler in your pix seems to be one huge piece with the front panel; maybe its just the photo.

Incidentally, the ground clearance on the Turbo aero kit spoiler as shown is 167 mm or just over 6.5", whats the clearance on the Sportec lip?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:00 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Its just a very flush fit. The Sportec is about the same clearance but it actually covers the front lip of the bumper itself instead of underneath as with the aero.

Close up:

Old 01-28-2015, 09:10 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

according to the Sportec pdf catalogue the part is still advertised but must be used with their brake cooling system (don't understand why). Have you had direct contact with them to ask about availability?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

i like it -- looks pretty neat

Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I like it, bit can't use it. I have passport remote radar detector and laser shifter antennas in the front grill and the open vents on the oem lip spoiler.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 AM
su_maverick
Advanced

Originally Posted by biglicks
according to the Sportec pdf catalogue the part is still advertised but must be used with their brake cooling system (don't understand why). Have you had direct contact with them to ask about availability?
I have spoken directly with Sportec and they do not have the lip anymore nor do they even have the mold for it.

It looks like this will probably be a no-go. Since the mold is no longer available and I have yet to see a used one for sale, the piece would have to be prototyped before a mold can even be done. I spoke with a friend of mine who does this type of thing and he said that almost no shop will do this on the cheap.

If someone were to take this project on, they would probably want to do it using high end materials so that they can price in the cost of the prototyping, mold and fixed cost per piece without a massive % markup. He ballparked it quickly and said we would be looking at about $1k per piece which would be full carbon using a Hexel pre-preg weave.

From what I gather from the guys on 6sp, this is too costly an investment for the lip.

The good news is that he would be interested in any other projects if we wanted something custom done. There would be some lead time though as he is currently creating a TT kit for the 458.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:02 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

FRP is a bad choice for a chin spoiler. Urethane is better because it needs to flex to survive. 3D modeling/printing can be done, but this is a big project as it has to be done in one piece about 70" wide...
Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

this spoiler does not have the fresh air cut out for the brake ducting, you will have to reroute air flow hence the silver air ducts inside the radiator vent. something to think about with this spoiler. I checked into this spoiler years ago but went with the sportec brake ducts instead when I did a full front brake mod.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:57 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Originally Posted by techweenie
FRP is a bad choice for a chin spoiler. Urethane is better because it needs to flex to survive. 3D modeling/printing can be done, but this is a big project as it has to be done in one piece about 70" wide...
Either way, I doubt anybody is going to take this on without the expectation of a significant return. Whether its traditional prototyping and molding or a 3D model, its going to take a lot of time to do.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I always liked that front lip, especially on darker cars. Here is a photo I took in 2003.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

No, I've gone off it. Shape looks odd/cumbersome - and was it tested in a wind tunnel, doubt it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportec Replica/One Off Lip