Sponsored by:

My First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:50 PM
mfbmike
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My First Porsche

Picked up my first Porsche a few weeks ago a few hours north of me, after a 2-3 month search for a 911. Previous owner upgraded to a new GT3 which is why he was selling this 2002 996 911 Turbo.

I picked up the car with just under 50k miles and aside from the hideous no-name wheels, brakes that need some servicing soon and the paint needing a paint correction in the worst way, the car appeared very solid to myself and my buddy who is a Porsche master tech down at the collection down here who came with me to look at it and test drive.

I originally was in the market for a ~20-25k 996 C2. My search (and realizing I had a better credit score and more money to play with than I thought) eventually led me to looking at early 997's. At that point, it occured to me I could potentially find a 996 Turbo for roughly the same price. I figured I'd save myself the potential regret and opt for a turbo (not to mention avoid potential IMS issues).

I ended up finding a Seal Grey with 58k miles up in Atlanta at Hennessy Porsche and after negotiating on the price for a few days, I managed to get them down to a price I felt comfortable paying. The catch, the carbon fiber in the dash was coming up, the rear spoiler wasn't working amongst whatever other small things I might've uncovered when I got there. I was okay with that, I figured I'd get it taken care of on my own and the car was nicely optioned. I was prepared to drive or fly up that Saturday morning to finalize paperwork and take delivery.

By the next morning, I received an email that the car had been sold to someone locally. What a waste of time. In hindsight, I probably should've placed a deposit on the car.

I was pretty bummed but figured if it was meant to be, it would've happened.

A few days after that (Christmas Eve iirc) doing my normal browsing and this one popped up. Black on black ( since so many of them seem to be silver), service records, from what seems to be a Porsche guy. The rest is history. :beer::beer:

When I came to pick it up.

On the way home.

Spent a few hours on the paint. Menzerna FG400 + Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6. Great combo. 12 year old Porsche paint still cleans up pretty well. This is the reflection of my garage door/ceiling from the roof of the car.

Took it up to Ft. Lauderdale for breakfast and beers and finally crossed the 50k milestone.

I'll get proper pictures once I get the wheels swapped out.

Figured I'd share.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:06 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks very nice!! Congrats!! Enjoy in good health!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:23 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Nice!! I had a similar 997->996TT buying calculus. And I had one that "got away" but then ended up with a much better car. Enjoy it!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:25 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad everything worked out in the end. Congratulations and welcome to rennlist What wheels are you thinking about getting?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:06 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats!

I was initially shaking my head wondering, "why did this guy post a picture of his garage door!?" And then I read your caption and saw that it's actually the reflection off of your new car's roof! Wow, that's some nice paint.

By the way, I think the wheels look great as is.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM
laneskelton
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new turbo...996 turbos are the best deal going right now. That paint looks amazing!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 PM
mfbmike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Nice!! I had a similar 997->996TT buying calculus. And I had one that "got away" but then ended up with a much better car. Enjoy it!
Funny, our situations sound similar. lol. I agree though, yes, I think I ended up with the better car.

Everything happens for a reason, or so they say.

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Glad everything worked out in the end. Congratulations and welcome to rennlist What wheels are you thinking about getting?
OZ Leggera HLT's have caught my eye. I had Volk Racing TE37's on my previous car, a FR-S, but not sure I want to drop that kind of coin on wheels again. The OZ's I mentioned above are light enough, nice enough and not too expensive. I haven't nailed down a choice yet though. I'm a sucker for a good deal though and if I see a nice used set in the classifieds, I might get tempted. lol.

I believe I've done business with you guys in the past, when I owned my 2008 VW R32.

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
Congrats!

I was initially shaking my head wondering, "why did this guy post a picture of his garage door!?" And then I read your caption and saw that it's actually the reflection off of your new car's roof! Wow, that's some nice paint.

By the way, I think the wheels look great as is.
lol, it threw friends of mine off as well before they realized what it was. It was hard work but absolutely worth it. Easily the most gratifying detail I've done to date.

Originally Posted by laneskelton
Congrats on the new turbo...996 turbos are the best deal going right now. That paint looks amazing!
Thank you sir. I agree. Whole lot of car for the money.

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
Congrats!!!
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 PM
flohmann
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Picked up my first Porsche just before Xmas, a 2002 just like yours, just over 50k miles, black over red. FWIW, I think the stock OEM wheels look best!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mfbmike
Picked up my first Porsche a few weeks ago a few hours north of me, after a 2-3 month search for a 911. Previous owner upgraded to a new GT3 which is why he was selling this 2002 996 911 Turbo. I picked up the car with just under 50k miles and aside from the hideous no-name wheels, brakes that need some servicing soon and the paint needing a paint correction in the worst way, the car appeared very solid to myself and my buddy who is a Porsche master tech down at the collection down here who came with me to look at it and test drive. I originally was in the market for a ~20-25k 996 C2. My search (and realizing I had a better credit score and more money to play with than I thought) eventually led me to looking at early 997's. At that point, it occured to me I could potentially find a 996 Turbo for roughly the same price. I figured I'd save myself the potential regret and opt for a turbo (not to mention avoid potential IMS issues). I ended up finding a Seal Grey with 58k miles up in Atlanta at Hennessy Porsche and after negotiating on the price for a few days, I managed to get them down to a price I felt comfortable paying. The catch, the carbon fiber in the dash was coming up, the rear spoiler wasn't working amongst whatever other small things I might've uncovered when I got there. I was okay with that, I figured I'd get it taken care of on my own and the car was nicely optioned. I was prepared to drive or fly up that Saturday morning to finalize paperwork and take delivery. By the next morning, I received an email that the car had been sold to someone locally. What a waste of time. In hindsight, I probably should've placed a deposit on the car. I was pretty bummed but figured if it was meant to be, it would've happened. A few days after that (Christmas Eve iirc) doing my normal browsing and this one popped up. Black on black ( since so many of them seem to be silver), service records, from what seems to be a Porsche guy. The rest is history. :beer::beer: When I came to pick it up. On the way home. Spent a few hours on the paint. Menzerna FG400 + Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6. Great combo. 12 year old Porsche paint still cleans up pretty well. This is the reflection of my garage door/ceiling from the roof of the car. Took it up to Ft. Lauderdale for breakfast and beers and finally crossed the 50k milestone. I'll get proper pictures once I get the wheels swapped out. Figured I'd share.
Funny I was trying to look at that same turbo at Hennessy. I live close by and went to check it out before Xmas and by the next day they told me it was basically sold when I arrived.
I checked it out in the parking lot and it looked like a clean car.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:20 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mfbmike
OZ Leggera HLT's have caught my eye. I had Volk Racing TE37's on my previous car, a FR-S, but not sure I want to drop that kind of coin on wheels again. The OZ's I mentioned above are light enough, nice enough and not too expensive. I haven't nailed down a choice yet though. I'm a sucker for a good deal though and if I see a nice used set in the classifieds, I might get tempted. lol.

I believe I've done business with you guys in the past, when I owned my 2008 VW R32.
Good luck in your search, used sets will usually pop up but are gone pretty quickly, so you have to act fast. Thanks for the business, hopefully we can continue If you ever have any question about a part we offer or cant find something feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to agree, the paint that Porsche uses seems to be of high quality. It just keeps having a mirror finish even after many years of use.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:36 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of like the wheels, but they would be a PIA to keep clean
Old 01-25-2015, 04:37 AM
mfbmike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flohmann
Congrats! Picked up my first Porsche just before Xmas, a 2002 just like yours, just over 50k miles, black over red. FWIW, I think the stock OEM wheels look best!
Awesome. Red interior's gotta be pretty sweet.

Originally Posted by iotapi322
Funny I was trying to look at that same turbo at Hennessy. I live close by and went to check it out before Xmas and by the next day they told me it was basically sold when I arrived.
I checked it out in the parking lot and it looked like a clean car.
That's interesting. It did look pretty clean. I think I still have the pictures the sales rep sent me there in my email inbox.

I remember waking up to the email saying it was sold.

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Good luck in your search, used sets will usually pop up but are gone pretty quickly, so you have to act fast. Thanks for the business, hopefully we can continue If you ever have any question about a part we offer or cant find something feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.
I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure I might need something eventually.

You guys are sponsoring an event in April, Wookies in the Woods, it's a huge R32 gathering that takes place at the Dragon every year up in NC/TN. THanks for your continued support. The 911 will be going up this year!

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I have to agree, the paint that Porsche uses seems to be of high quality. It just keeps having a mirror finish even after many years of use.
I was really content with how good I got it. Sure it has the minor imperfections of a 12 year old car but the swirls and such are gone.

I'm really impressed with the chemical guys stuff I added to my arsenal and used this stuff around.

The Menzerna and Sonax compound/polish combo works great.

Originally Posted by fly2low
I kind of like the wheels, but they would be a PIA to keep clean
They are a bit of PITA. lol.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
mfbmike
Intermediate

May have gotten that whole needing new wheels thing figured out sooner than I had expected:

Buddy of mine had a set of HRE's sitting around and said I could borrow them as eurotripper in Ft. Myers is happening this Saturday and I was tempted to go. The catch was they needed tires.

Found some slightly used Bridgestone Potenza S-02's in stock 911 turbo sizes on craigslist locally and scooped them up for only 180 bucks. Not my tire of choice by any means but I can throw them on and roll around on them for a bit. That and I get to take the PO's wheels off.

Polished em up with some white diamond and a coal miner microfiber from the rag company and now really can't wait to get them on. They look great - aside from my aching back and fingers now, I'm stoked. lol.

Quick Reply: My First Porsche