Sponsored by:

Ppi mixed results opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ppi mixed results opinion please

Had ppi performed with mayo performance and results were that car needs a new alternator, and that at speeds over 50 mph there is a clicking sound that they think is either coming from the gearbox (tiptronic) or front differential. They were not able to pinpoint sound, but confident that noise can be pinpointed to those areas. Other than those issues car passed every point on inspection. Mayo does not work on tip trans so true diagnosis is still up in the air. Opinions would be greatly appreciated as far as how to proceed at this point.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

alt is nothing. trans esp tip is everything. dont buy a car you know needs trans work. even less so a tip! ack
Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alternator could be just voltage regulator that is a easy repair The noise could be costly depending what is found so seller should pay for diagnosis and go from there. The bottom line is I would have them repair or I would walk. Honestly you will get a million opinions use your best judgment and it will work its self out.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

As others have said. Alternator is nothing. Trouble with the Tip or front dif could be big $$$$$$$. You need to know what the issue is before you buy.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

I walked from a 2001 which had a ticking sound. My Porsche mecahnic specifically stated tick could mean ticking timebomb.....walk away
Old 01-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Seller is now taking to porsche dealer for second opinion. I can only imagine that proper diagnosis will be $$$$ and more $$$$$$ to fix. Here's hoping for the best as seller is a very easy to deal with and was not aware of any issues.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Is it his dealer I would be cautious not to sound over skeptical but weirder things have happened. I would be the one choosing the shop.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Had ppi performed with mayo performance and results were that car needs a new alternator, and that at speeds over 50 mph there is a clicking sound that they think is either coming from the gearbox (tiptronic) or front differential. They were not able to pinpoint sound, but confident that noise can be pinpointed to those areas. Other than those issues car passed every point on inspection. Mayo does not work on tip trans so true diagnosis is still up in the air. Opinions would be greatly appreciated as far as how to proceed at this point.
You might be able to use this to your advantage.

First the seller has decided to sell the car. He is going to be reluctant to have to pull the car off the market, throw a bushel basket, or two, at the car to address what could be a real expensive problem.

Get a quote on say a new diff (or a used one -- many remove these to revert the car to RWD only) and a Tip overhaul at a reputable Tip tranny shop. BTW, you can speak to a Tip shop and it may be able to advise you regarding the noise, what it means, and what it would take to put it right.

Then offer the buyer a price that takes these quotes into account.

The buyer might be willing to take less rather then spend a load of money and still not get any more for the car.

If the car is repaired and you are back to considering it be sure the repairs were done at a reputable shop and there's a transferrable warranty on the parts/labor. The dealer should give 2 years, 24K miles warranty on parts.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Sounds like the car is in the Dallas area. If you are still interested after his dealership visit, consider getting another PPI at a shop other than Mayo's that is more familiar with the tiptronic, like RAC. Just give them the Mayo's report and ask them for a second opinion, especially on the clicking noise.

Whatever you do, don't settle for a car with a potential problem, even if the deal seems right. Having an issue shortly after buying will dim the excitement for sure.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If its the differential i wouldn't worry too much. As Macster said use it to your advantage. The front diff does nothing in these cars anyway and you can source a used one for $500. If its the transmission then run. It will likely cost a lot to repair. So far he needs to reduce the price by 1500-2000 for a new Porsche alternator. At an indy this is probably a $750 job and $450 if DIY with Bosch part.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Atrox
Drifting

More news update. I contacted seller and explained results/issues. He and I both were a tad on the depressed side and he agreed to second opinion. He went to shop to pick the car up and I prompted him before hand to ask the tech exactly what was found. Tech explained that sound was a bearing and not the tiptronic. Alternator was sitting at 13.1 at start up and in idle. After driving car alternator was pegging at 12.4. Tech also said car was exceptionally clean and a good representation of the model. Regardless we are scheduling second opinion to confirm/deny said issues. I did luck out with seller as he has been helpful and a pleasure to deal with the entire process. I do find it odd that manager and tech gave conflicting opinions on ppi. I also did not receive a written inspection report to confirm any of this.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

I'm sure it will work out but you are getting some odd advice a differential is a big deal and if that guy knocks off 1500-2000 for an alternator he's nuts. If its a bearing or something minor that's great but unless he repairs before purchase or your a diy type what's the point with a lot of cars out there to choose from keep looking.

Last edited by rmc1148; 01-21-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Ck986
Pro

Not saying to let the differential just go, but get an estimate from the dealer. It'll likely cost 4-5k to replace, then add the estimate for the alternator and make an offer. A porsche alternator costs 1400$ + $600 labor as that's 2-3 hours labor here in nj and all of a sudden you have 6-7k of bargaining. You can then buy a used differential and have an Indy do the alternator. I personally wouldn't mess with the transmission if that's where the problem stemmed from.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:21 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

If that guy reduces his car by that figure he's desperate . How many miles on the car? Read the after purchase posts from the discount buyers. Buy a good car with decent miles and records. Your looking at tip cars they are harder to sell and you can usually get a nice car for a decent price. If he repairs car and it gets a clean bill of health that's great but buying a pig in a poke of this complexity is stupid.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Ck986
Pro

Everyone has a different tolerance to maintenance and repairs. If he really trusts his indy's ppi then it may make sense to test how desperate the seller is. What are the remaining specs on the car.

Quick Reply: Ppi mixed results opinion please