Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance intervals for 911 TT 2001-2004

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe they are saying that 10k is ridiculous not indorsing the idea.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:54 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
You guys sound so cheap. You are talking about an expensive car. How much are plugs and oil? I mean come on. Anyone who is saying 10k+ oil change is crazy. I'd rather know my car is as fresh and up to date as possible in relation to maintenance. What does that cost me? 150 bucks for spark plugs and oil. It's a joke.

In the long run, someone who changes the oil more often, that engine will last longer and less wear and tear.........END OF STORY.........its a proven fact.

Imagine your body with a liver that didn't filter the blood as often, you are a dead man lol.
Last year when I still had my supercharged '91 928GT I changed its oil for the last time... at its usual 12k mile interval (Porsche recommended interval is 15k). The car had over 230k miles on it (and BTW it looked as good as a 60k mile car inside and out - didn't even have any wear on the driver's seat outer leather bolster or warped leather interior quarter panels). The oil looked pretty black. It had this same oil change interval for at least 10 years and was pushing 50% more power to the wheels than stock, and believe me it was not babied at all as my daily driver. A few years before, the rod bearings were replaced preventatively as those cars can spin the 2/6 bearing from too high sustained cornering force induced oil starvation. The bearings were in almost perfect condition, and the cylinder bores showed absolutely no wear. When changing the valve cover gaskets, the cams had almost no pitting on them, even though GT cams usually showed such wear even below 100k miles due to their more aggressive profile.

You have your own opinion on what is the "correct" way to maintain a car, and that's fine. Changing the oil more frequently surely will not hurt the car, so go ahead. Just don't go hypothesizing on how a 10k oil change interval will shorten the life of an engine when you just have no data to back it up, let alone calling someone crazy for following Porsche's recommendations - you know, the guys who designed, engineered and built the thing in the first place. It may be that the life of the engine would be shortened from 1,000,000 miles to 800,000, which most probably would not affect the car in its entire lifetime. Don't be cheap, but at the same time don't be wasteful. Try an oil analysis at 6k miles one time and see. Visually looking at the color of the oil is not a good indicator of its performance inside an engine.

Dan
Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the 928s had one myself and no warped quarter trim is rare. I did a full 87 interior swap on mine = 1982 5spd black/black 54k miles. The oil changes I'm sure would be fine at 10k I just cant bare to wait that long lol.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dprantl
Last year when I still had my supercharged '91 928GT I changed its oil for the last time... at its usual 12k mile interval (Porsche recommended interval is 15k). The car had over 230k miles on it (and BTW it looked as good as a 60k mile car inside and out - didn't even have any wear on the driver's seat outer leather bolster or warped leather interior quarter panels). The oil looked pretty black. It had this same oil change interval for at least 10 years and was pushing 50% more power to the wheels than stock, and believe me it was not babied at all as my daily driver. A few years before, the rod bearings were replaced preventatively as those cars can spin the 2/6 bearing from too high sustained cornering force induced oil starvation. The bearings were in almost perfect condition, and the cylinder bores showed absolutely no wear. When changing the valve cover gaskets, the cams had almost no pitting on them, even though GT cams usually showed such wear even below 100k miles due to their more aggressive profile.

You have your own opinion on what is the "correct" way to maintain a car, and that's fine. Changing the oil more frequently surely will not hurt the car, so go ahead. Just don't go hypothesizing on how a 10k oil change interval will shorten the life of an engine when you just have no data to back it up, let alone calling someone crazy for following Porsche's recommendations - you know, the guys who designed, engineered and built the thing in the first place. It may be that the life of the engine would be shortened from 1,000,000 miles to 800,000, which most probably would not affect the car in its entire lifetime. Don't be cheap, but at the same time don't be wasteful. Try an oil analysis at 6k miles one time and see. Visually looking at the color of the oil is not a good indicator of its performance inside an engine.

Dan

I run a 1000whp and E85 Gas........ill never see anything close to a 6k mileage oil change....
Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I have seen some hard to get out most are not=a little blaster or kroil goes a long way. Some Fords etc really can get stuck especially with suggestions of 100k service life on plugs.
Haha, funny you should mention, I only did one major service on my 99 ford ranger 4x4 at 140,000 miles. Plugs came out fine, but I've heard horror stories.

I remember a really good study done by Consumers Reports (iirc) on oil life back in the 90's. Took many NYC taxi cabs and put fresh engines in them. Ran them at 3000 and 6000 oil change intervals, different oils including synthetic, and tore the engines down after 60,000 miles and measured the wear. No difference between 3000 and 6000 mile interval engines. my dd cars get 6000 mile oil changes.

Last edited by DaveCarrera4; 01-24-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Maintenance intervals for 911 TT 2001-2004