gophaster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, beautiful work. Love that puller too. Very nice
Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 259 Posts

Made some more progress this afternoon after getting over to the garage. Got the upper control arms in and the toe links. Took the sway bar over to work to clean it up this week as it was all dirty.

Out with all the old factory arms.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Well managed to get the last things sorted out with the suspension. Figured it would be a good time to pull the front bumper and clean the radiators.

Used compressed air and a steam cleaner to clean them of debris. The center radiator looks to be in tougher shape so that is on the list to be replaced soon with possibly some of Johns mesh grilles.

Tossed in a set of GT3 brake ducts

Joe Toths front lip is awesome, fitment is spot on!

The new toe links I made up work awesome. Much easier to align and no deflection now.

Next up is to get that roll bar in and the IC's.

Did a little over 400 miles this week with the new LCA bushings I made, rear upper control arms and rear tie rods. Combined with the GT2 alignment, the car feels so much better. It now feels like an extension of my thoughts while driving, rather than a big fast sledge hammer.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:01 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I'm Chip, aka dr cheap, and just bought a new to me 2003 996. I live in Decatur, Ga with a place in Cumming, GA. I am an Atlanta Motorsports Park member and take guests. AMP will even give us a free meet up room in their new Conference Center. I have raced karts since age 12 and still do, both vintage and modern, bought a 928 P car, then aFerrari for my 40th bday, amd now a P-CAR for my next bday. I alao have 2 Shelby replicas including a Factory Five Daytona. Let's meet up. Yours in thrift, dr cheap
Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Ps..want to sell my 2003 996 and actively looking for a 996TT c
Old 08-21-2016, 08:00 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcheap
Ps..want to sell my 2003 996 and actively looking for a 996TT c
Good luck with your search, such awesome cars
Old 09-05-2016, 11:40 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Made some progress this weekend with getting the 996 GT3 calipers and 997 turbo rotors. Had a friend stop by to lend a hand to get the RSS roll bar in, without the extra help it would have been a royal PITA!

Out with the old

In with the new

After getting the brakes done, went out to grab a bite and saw this thing

Talk about an interesting day! Air cooled powered trike.

Such a nice day for a roll bar install

Thanks to 993GT for the rear carpet piece to replace pulling the sub woofer out

Using some ratchet straps to pull the legs into place

The mirror has to be twisted upright to slide it in. Using flexible cutting boards protect the headliner while putting the roll bar into position.

All bolted in

New belts
Old 09-05-2016, 09:53 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
Made some progress this weekend with getting the 996 GT3 calipers and 997 turbo rotors. Had a friend stop by to lend a hand to get the RSS roll bar in, without the extra help it would have been a royal PITA! Out with the old In with the new After getting the brakes done, went out to grab a bite and saw this thing Talk about an interesting day! Air cooled powered trike. Such a nice day for a roll bar install Thanks to 993GT for the rear carpet piece to replace pulling the sub woofer out Using some ratchet straps to pull the legs into place The mirror has to be twisted upright to slide it in. Using flexible cutting boards protect the headliner while putting the roll bar into position. All bolted in New belts
sweet Noah!
Old 09-06-2016, 03:00 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Nice!
My attempt at doing one on my own a while back was frustrating enough to have it still sitting in my garage!
Came to find out the slippery boards on headliner and removing the under carpet plastic pieces by the lower sides is key. Will do it next spring, meanwhile the daughter can still ride in the back.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:20 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
sweet Noah!
Thanks Dave

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Nice!
My attempt at doing one on my own a while back was frustrating enough to have it still sitting in my garage!
Came to find out the slippery boards on headliner and removing the under carpet plastic pieces by the lower sides is key. Will do it next spring, meanwhile the daughter can still ride in the back.
Yeah it is a two person job without a doubt, if I did it again I would use 4 straps to pull the legs rather than just the 2 that I had. The carpet/plastic can be left in if you use a small 1/4" 4x4 piece of steel and a 1ft pry bar to position the holes to get the bolt in. The mirror tends to be the tricky part to not break it. Removing it would be the best bet as that was a stressful part to work around.

The roll bar in my Audi TT I had made to fit the car which made things a piece of cake to install in like 10 minutes, but that is also because there were no bolt in ones available like the Porsche.

Next up is the IC's and Toth ducts
Old 09-23-2016, 05:43 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Made some more progress on the turbo. Pulled the stock IC's out and modified the shrouds for the 997.2 ones.

Out with the old

Noticed the tail lights having some slight cracks. Figured this is a good time to epoxy and put some light savers in.

Used tape on the rear fenders so to not mar up anything working alone pulling and putting the bumper back on.

Found this sucker in one of the IC's yuck

Found using a c-clamp makes it easy to drill through both to be able to rivet in one shot.

Used these rivets from Home Depot

Used some big 250lb HD tie wraps that I normally use for holding bundles of stock together for the cnc machines. 14" ones are perfect.

As expected from reading others installs, the e-clips fought me hard, using some Kroil made things fit together in the rubber sleeves much easier.

Checked over all the suspension links as I am headed to MD next week with the car so a good once over is always good. Everything checked out.

New IC's in

Tail light savers

Got the Joe Toth ducts back from paint, so got those on and taped to let the VHB 3m tap to get a good bite.

Anyone ever see a marking like this?

Last thing to get done this weekend is a quick shake down run and transmission fluid flush.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:20 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Nice progress on the car!
Glad to hear your suspension pieces are holding up as good as they look.

You'll dig the mod, I noticed an immediate difference with those IC's running them back to back in warm weather. Consider putting zip ties over the boost hose retaining clips if you don't have the bumper on yet, no one will even see.

I ended up swapping out one of my hoses that had worn retaining ear and popped a couple times right after the IC swap. Zip ties won't fix that, but figured if it saves me from having to pull the bumper at the track, it's worthwhile.

Those e-clips are a joy, I was ready to put washer on a screw and drive it into the pilot hole on the IC mount. After reading someone's post about how easy the job was, I started at 6 one evening thinking I'd be done by 10ish...not
Old 09-25-2016, 02:01 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark! Did a shake down drive yesterday after doing a trans flush. Ran into a small other snag today doing the once over prior to washing and putting it in the garage. Will post up later.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:16 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Some pictures from this past weekends trip to Ocean City for H2Oi. Did a little over 1000 miles and she did not miss a beat.

Quick Reply: New Member Intro