Sponsored by:

another newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
paoylin1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another newbie question

little info 2001 911 turbo awd, there is a radiator looking thing in front of the wheel on the passenger side. lately there is this clear oily substance leaking in that vicinity. anybody know what that is? thanks
Old 12-14-2014, 03:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

coolant is the only thing that should leak from the area you describe. is it greenish in color and slightly sweet smelling? if so, it's 50/50 coolant/water mix, and you have a leak.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Does your AC work. Could it possibly be oil from the AC system?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 PM
paoylin1
Advanced

i don't think it's coolant, there's no color and it feels oily.02996ttx50

the ac worked in the summer when i bought the car but now it's winter and can't really test it.

what is that radiator for? there's one on both sides of the car
Old 12-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by paoylin1
....what is that radiator for? there's one on both sides of the car
Are you joking?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by paoylin1
little info 2001 911 turbo awd, there is a radiator looking thing in front of the wheel on the passenger side. lately there is this clear oily substance leaking in that vicinity. anybody know what that is? thanks
If you are looking through the radiator duct from in front of the car the leak is probably with the A/C condenser. There is one in front of the radiator on the passenger side of the car and the driver side of the car.

These are at some risk of getting holed by something coming through the grill.

If you are looking at the radiator from inside the wheel well -- which I do not think you are doing as this would require the wheel/tire be removed and the wheel well liner removed -- then you are probably seeing a leaking radiator.

The Turbo has 3 radiators and two A/C condensers. The 3rd radiator is located in the center of the car.

The engine can generate a tremendous amount of heat and the radiators are there to transfer that heat from the coolant to the air flowing through the radiators. They do a heck of a job based on my experience with my Turbo.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:02 AM
paoylin1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Are you joking?
nope, i've heard that one could be trans cooler, ac and coolant and also something about the tiptronic. just trying to figure out which is which
Old 12-15-2014, 11:03 AM
paoylin1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
If you are looking through the radiator duct from in front of the car the leak is probably with the A/C condenser. There is one in front of the radiator on the passenger side of the car and the driver side of the car.

These are at some risk of getting holed by something coming through the grill.

If you are looking at the radiator from inside the wheel well -- which I do not think you are doing as this would require the wheel/tire be removed and the wheel well liner removed -- then you are probably seeing a leaking radiator.

The Turbo has 3 radiators and two A/C condensers. The 3rd radiator is located in the center of the car.

The engine can generate a tremendous amount of heat and the radiators are there to transfer that heat from the coolant to the air flowing through the radiators. They do a heck of a job based on my experience with my Turbo.
thank you for the explaination

Quick Reply: another newbie question