Sponsored by:

Suspension novice question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:08 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Suspension novice question

My 2003 TT has stock shocks--from what I can tell, and h&r springs all corners. The ride height is approx:
LF: 25.5"
RF: 25.5"
LR: 24.75"
RR: 24.9"

Tyres are 235.35.19 front and 315.25.19 rear.

Measured from the ground to the fender middle of the axle. I can get my finger between the tire and fender at 12 o'clock on the right rear, but not the rear left.

I don't mind how it rides although it is a bit cushiony for a sports car; an unloading when passing a bridge caused tire rub on the back left tire twice. Was doing 59mph so although it's a relative bit of a drop form the bridge to the road it wasn't my driving. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I never plan on tracking it, but just spirited road driving.

The springs are about 5 years old, 10k miles, probably just road driven only.

So, is it my shock(s)? Car is stiff so can't just push down on it to check. But it is a bit cushiony on bumps. Other bumps haven't made tyre rub.

There are no leaks from the shocks, but I wonder if it worn shock from the aftermarket spring and more compression on the shock. I prefer a more level ride with 25.5" all the way around.

Unless others have some thoughts, can I just change the rear shocks? If so, for any in particular? I would keep the springs. Fronts seem fine except bushings looking tired.

Thanks for any help. I've searched a lot of posts here, and I don't want to go to the advanced shock setups since I don't need or really want adjustables.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:56 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

My advice FWIW is to get rid of the stock shocks (and H&R springs) and go with some nice PSS9-10s...not over the top and the ride is simply much better than the stock setup. It is well worth the upgrade even if you do no tracking.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:13 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
My 2003 TT has stock shocks--from what I can tell, and h&r springs all corners. The ride height is approx:
LF: 25.5"
RF: 25.5"
LR: 24.75"
RR: 24.9"

Tyres are 235.35.19 front and 315.25.19 rear.

Measured from the ground to the fender middle of the axle. I can get my finger between the tire and fender at 12 o'clock on the right rear, but not the rear left.

I don't mind how it rides although it is a bit cushiony for a sports car; an unloading when passing a bridge caused tire rub on the back left tire twice. Was doing 59mph so although it's a relative bit of a drop form the bridge to the road it wasn't my driving. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I never plan on tracking it, but just spirited road driving.

The springs are about 5 years old, 10k miles, probably just road driven only.

So, is it my shock(s)? Car is stiff so can't just push down on it to check. But it is a bit cushiony on bumps. Other bumps haven't made tyre rub.

There are no leaks from the shocks, but I wonder if it worn shock from the aftermarket spring and more compression on the shock. I prefer a more level ride with 25.5" all the way around.

Unless others have some thoughts, can I just change the rear shocks? If so, for any in particular? I would keep the springs. Fronts seem fine except bushings looking tired.

Thanks for any help. I've searched a lot of posts here, and I don't want to go to the advanced shock setups since I don't need or really want adjustables.
If you want adjustable coilovers, then there are plenty to choose from. That said, there are varying opinions on whether to go that route, and I think you have already made your decision.

If you decide to keep the H&R Springs, then do them some justice and replace the shocks with some Bilstein Sports. The stock shocks were not valved for an aftermarket sport spring that has an inch less of travel. You cannot expect the car to perform well with shocks that are beyond there EUL matched with a more aggressive spring. The mating of the Bilstein Sports with the H&R's will be quite different than what you are used to, in a good way. The stock shocks are not operating within their normal range since the rod is one inch longer. So, the dampening is not being executed just right and the spring is having to do more of the work. The Bilstein HD's are designed for the stock springs, so make sure to avoid those.

Also, I would highly recommend replacing the shock mounts up front. The rears might be fine, but my fronts were gone after 65K miles.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Ride height is not measured that way.

It is measured from the ground to some point underneath the car. I do not recall the points but can look them up if you ask.

You are seeing just normal variation in the body, perhaps, unless the car was in an accident of some kind.

However, I do not like the fact the body is making contact with tires. This suggests the body is out of position, or the wrong wheels (offsets?) or even the wrong sized wheels are being used. I know 19" wheels are ok for these cars but I'm not sure about the 315.25.19 rear tire size.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i also recommend you look at some of bilsteins offerings if you don't want to go full coilover route. they are made for the car with lowering springs. they are essentially what i run ( MO 30's ) but MO30's are no longer available as i understand. the bilstein ( OEM ) options are quite suitable for a lowered tt and less expensive that pss9/10 etc. all depends on your wants/needs.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P96...r-P96C4-C4S-TT
Old 12-15-2014, 10:08 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Thanks for that info. I would be interested in knowing where to measure the ride height. I figured that it was a weak spring, shock, or something in need of adjustment. No accidents or repair were noted on the body, frame, or car fax fwiw.

I was thinking the bilstein sport shocks. I would do the pss10s one day, but have a cost:use ratio that doesn't warrant the investment of pss10s for the amount I would drive ATM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Saw this on renntech, credit to Loren. So I'll check it this week...if I can fit under the car:/

Quick Reply: Suspension novice question