Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell with a full tank of fuel (not the 3 way valve)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Why would the new gasket not work? One just like it worked for a while and I assume a number of others just like it work in every other Turbo that doesn't have a fuel leak in this area.

If the SA believes the gasket is the wrong thing to do did he discuss this with the tech?

I would think they would both want to be on the same page. It does not appear to be very good customer relations to raise doubt about what I assume the tech has decided is the right way to proceed to address your complaint to you the customer. It suggests the SA doesn't trust the tech to make the correct call.

OTOH, I have to add what the SA says doesn't count for much. Now I have to say that I know a number of SAs -- well I know them as an owner of a Porsche and interacting with them at that level -- and to a person they are all nice people and most are very knowledgable considering their lack of direct technical experience working on these cars. But the SA didn't make the call to replace the gasket, the tech did and the tech must have felt this was the fix. The tech was at the car, not the SA.

Now the this doesn't mean there can't be a leak where the SA says. Sometimes all one can do is address what is the suspected cause of what one observes and see what happens. If in this case the leak goes away, well, there you are.

But if the leak remains and can't be attributed to a bad new gasket or a botched install then perhaps what the SA says is correct.

But you should have asked him how the smoke test missed this? However, you missed your chance.

What to do about this? Right now, nothing.

In the meantime, relax.

Let the new gasket arrive and be installed and see what happens.

When the car is ready to pick up, make arrangements in case you have to leave the car, then when you arrive at the dealer be sure to give the car a good test drive, stop and fill up the gas tank, and check throughly for any signs of a gasoline leak.

If you find signs of one head right back to the dealer and drop the car off. This is the time then to ask about the smoke test and how it apparently failed to turn up a leak and how the dealer is going to go about id'ing the leak and how it intends to fix it. Once and for all.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM
omegarex
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is 3 years old, but how was this resolved? Did the new gasket fix the issue? I'm experiencing the same symptoms. Gas smell in the garage only after fill up. Once I use up about a gallon or 2 the smell is gone.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:27 PM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was just the gasket. The Service Adviser was incorrect in his analysis.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 PM
omegarex
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Do you happen to have the part number of the gasket they replaced? I'm hoping I have the same issue you have and its nothing more serious.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omegarex
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Do you happen to have the part number of the gasket they replaced? I'm hoping I have the same issue you have and its nothing more serious.
I'm sorry. I don't have the part # :-(.

Quick Reply: Gas smell with a full tank of fuel (not the 3 way valve)?