Sponsored by:

Entry Level Coilover Options and Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Really? I've had PSS9s on my 964 for 10 years. They have a little surface rust at the tops only. The PSS10 show no signs of rust. Maybe at coastal salt environments?. Billstein makes the factory coilovers for Porsche...they can't be that bad.

I live in Tahoe, so both my Turbo and the 964 have gone through several winters with a ton of snow. My GT3 will stay inside though.
ya here are mine. The bracket is not really well constructed and their are tons are people in other usages that complain that billies' rust.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:23 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
ya here are mine. The bracket is not really well constructed and their are tons are people in other usages that complain that billies' rust.
Those don't look too bad. If you want to see a coilovers that rusts, check out Tein! Are yours 9s or 10s?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:30 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by p556guy
powdrhound, do you have a recommendation on parts for a street driven car that won't see any track duty? I might move to the PSS10 at some point, but I don't want to use "motorsport" tops to keep them quiet.

thanks!
H&R street coil overs are a good choice for the street. They are non adjustable but work well out of the box so there is no need to mess with any adjustments anyway. H&Rs will lower your car more than the PSS10s and will work better at the lower ride heights. When set up per the instructions, your car will be right at GT2 height. I wouldn't mess with anything else. German product, cheap, and durable.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Those don't look too bad. If you want to see a coilovers that rusts, check out Tein! Are yours 9s or 10s?
Their 9's but 10's have the same exact bracket welded on to them. Compare the brackets to the H&R and the H&R look a lot more durable.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:26 AM
p556guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
H&R street coil overs are a good choice for the street. They are non adjustable but work well out of the box so there is no need to mess with any adjustments anyway. H&Rs will lower your car more than the PSS10s and will work better at the lower ride heights. When set up per the instructions, your car will be right at GT2 height. I wouldn't mess with anything else. German product, cheap, and durable.
Thanks -- that's at least $1000 cheaper than the PSS options.

You don't recommend bushings, drop links, sways, etc for street use? OEM stuff is up to snuff?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 351 Posts

Bilstein coilovers use H&R springs, H&R coilovers use Bilstein dampers...or at least it used to be that way
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by p556guy
Thanks -- that's at least $1000 cheaper than the PSS options.

You don't recommend bushings, drop links, sways, etc for street use? OEM stuff is up to snuff?
For just street use the OEM stuff is fine. If anything I'd put a rear GT3 adjustable sway (or the Tarett replica) on the car so you have something to dial in the car and call it a day. Once your car is lowered on the new coil overs you MIGHT find out that the stock rear toe arm eccentric adjustment doesn't have enough adjustment to get your toe in spec. If that's the case, you'll need rear adjustable toe arms. I like the PMNA Cup ones which are big money ($1000+) or the Champion ones which are essentially a copy of the PMNA ones ($600)(http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...cms-tstr-1.htm). The pinch style adjuster makes set up much much easier than the traditional jam nut everyone else uses.

Depending on how hard you drive the car, another item I reeeeely like are the rear solid thrust arm bushings and monoball inserts to be installed in the rear LCAs (pictured below). The benefit of these is the fact that they will eliminate any toe change in the rear suspension under load (especially when combined with the toe arms). By eliminating rear suspension movement, you will largely eliminate the exaggerated tire wear people experience in the very inside of the rear tires (assuming you have a good alignment). The harder you drive the car, the more apparent the benefit is on these parts. There is no downside, maybe a tiny bit of extra harshness. If you drive your car in the winter a lot with rain and snow, I'd skip the monoball inserts for corrosion reasons. Just do the solid T/A bushings. Get the non adjustable ones instead of the adjustable ones as pictured below. You will have to remove your rear LCAs, press out the old rubber bushings, and press in the new ones. Tarett sells these. Again, for just a street car, these are probably not necessary. Porsche did a good job with these cars out of the box. Hope that helps..

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-20-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Ohlins street DFV.... very bloody nice for $2500
Old 11-20-2014, 08:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i must be the only guy still uses bilstein MO 30's ( oem set ) lowered on h&r springs forever.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 AM
mdurbahn
Racer

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
I have the Ohlins street DFV.... very bloody nice for $2500
Where did you get those?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Their 9's but 10's have the same exact bracket welded on to them. Compare the brackets to the H&R and the H&R look a lot more durable.
Now I've got to go get the car up on the lift again. My PSS10s still look new! The PSS9s not so much, but they are pretty old now. They still feel great though.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:14 PM
SEAFORE
Intermediate

I installed RSS clubsports on my 03 TT this spring.

The car is transformed from a trackable street car to a streetable track car. Think Go-Kart type handling!

I couldn't be happier with the result. The downside, it is imperative to not hit road irregularities, it will scare the hell out of you. The upside, you can feel the car, smooth roads are much better, and track times are significantly reduced.

H&R customer service out west is very helpful.

If you are installing yourself, I would be glad to provide lessons learned.

The only must that I recall is adjustable toe links. The kit came with drop links which I used and work fine, but adjustable are preferred as they can be used to improve corner balancing.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Since you can't use a factory GT3 front bar due to the AWD, I'd go with the Eibachs just to have the adjustability on both ends.
Good advice on the sways for the AWD cars. I just bought the Eibachs and will be selling my H&R rear sway. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:22 AM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

What about the stock X73 suspension? Gert at Carnewal sells the whole kit and the folks who have it rave. It's a nice entry level step up towards track performance that is still Porsche quality.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 11-23-2014, 11:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by quick968
What about the stock X73 suspension? Gert at Carnewal sells the whole kit and the folks who have it rave. It's a nice entry level step up towards track performance that is still Porsche quality.

Cheers
Mikey

almost impossible to find any new from a vendor ( even gert ) x73 any longer. this is what i use, and it suits the bill perfectly as what was asked for. an entry level setup. there aren't 10 guys here this wouldn't work for. it's bilstein by the way. not for nothin"

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...IL-HDMO30.html

you will NOT be sorry. OEM baby.. oh yeah... did i mention? only 1300 bucks but you need some h&r springs

Quick Reply: Entry Level Coilover Options and Opinions