Hi Rennlist!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:57 PM
WeirdEd
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hi Rennlist!

Hi,

I've been reading the TT forum for a while as my next car will be a 996tt. I am originally from Germany and wanted a 911 since I was 16, unfortunately I was "budget constrained" back then. I currently live in Australia and 996TTs sell for 100-120K and in addition they have the steering wheel on the wrong side, so that's a no-no.
The good news is I will be moving to Houston, TX in Q1 2015, buy a durametric and start the hunt. Btw, is there anyone here from Houston and surrounds? I'd like to get in touch with the local 996TT crew. I'm an engineer and I have always worked on my cars and motorbikes, done advanced stuff like engine conversions, so if there are people around who don't mind to get their hands dirty, I am interested.

I was going to do that introductory spiel after arriving in the US but a recurring theme in the forum forces me to ask now.

It seems to be acceptable to have type 2 overrevs if the rev limiter has been raised for a tune. I have a hard time understanding why this should not be an issue as the rev limit was fixed by Porsche for mechanical reasons (prevent valve float, overstressing the internal components of the engine).

Mechanically there should not be a difference between a missed shift and revving the engine over the (old) limiter or am I missing something?

Cheers, Eric
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to the list. There are lots of H-tiown folks around....I'm sure they'll chime in.

The "traditional" thinking regarding type 2 over revs was the driver went from 5th to 2nd...or something like that. That would cause significantly more damage than just revs over the limit for reasons like the limiter was changed or wheel slip due to modified cars.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem with 996TT rev reports is that there are only two bands, Type 1 and type 2. I don't remember the exact limits but Type 1 is ~500 over and Type 2 is everything above that. If you have a tuned ECU and a DM flywheel, getting a T2 is easy. From the readout, you can't tell if it is a smidge into T2 country or 3K into T2 country.
997TTs have six over rev ranges

My personal belief is that if the readout shows the events occurred awhile ago, and the car runs well, I wouldn't worry about it. If the events are fresh, I wouldn't worry about that either, as I would keep shopping.

Quick Reply: Hi Rennlist!