Sponsored by:

Helmet Opinions DE/Autocross/Track days

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:54 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Opinions DE/Autocross/Track days

Looking for opinions on type of helmets for DE/Autocross/Track. I will be purchasing a SA2010 rated helmet, but would like opinions on which style. I have a 2003 996 Turbo Coupe Flash and pipe. Probably a PSS10 suspension in the next few months.

I understand the safety benefits of a Full Face, but an Open Face seems to give better visibility. Any other considerations. I belong to PCA and need to meet their requirements. What brands are good? Garbage?

Mods, please delete or move if inappropriate.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:07 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Depends on the shape of your egg. I love the Bell M1 full face. Pretty light, large eye port, fairly cheap.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerDick
Looking for opinions on type of helmets for DE/Autocross/Track. I will be purchasing a SA2010 rated helmet, but would like opinions on which style. I have a 2003 996 Turbo Coupe Flash and pipe. Probably a PSS10 suspension in the next few months.

I understand the safety benefits of a Full Face, but an Open Face seems to give better visibility. Any other considerations. I belong to PCA and need to meet their requirements. What brands are good? Garbage?

Mods, please delete or move if inappropriate.

Thanks in advance.
I will be replacing my current helmet with new SA2010 as well. I can tell you that I have used a closed face helmet since I began AutoX in 2003. The closed face helmet will be more welcome at DE and Advanced. For AutoX open face seems to me more common and accepted. I just tried on (Tuesday) 2 carbon fiber helmets, one from Simpson and the other from Bell (Carbon Devil Ray and GP.2 Carbon). Both were quite comfortable. I still love the fit of my old AGV ghost helmet but it is no longer made and doesnt carry SA rating (its a motorcycle helmet). I liked the fact that the Simpson Carbo Devil ray came with a nice case and two sets of lenses included (one clear and one smoked). The Bell helmet just felt a little better made and had more vents for airflow.

Hope this helps! (threw in a pic of the GP2 Carbon from Bell) I will be purchasing this helmet before next season).
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 02:43 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Depends on the shape of your egg.
This is what's controlling. You can't internet shop a helmet. Few local places, but Wine Country @ Sears always has a good selection at each price point. (Usually a club discount, but sometimes you have to ask.)

I like my Arai best. Also have a Pyrotect that works well. Still have a Bell open face, but it sits unused. Too many close calls with stuff getting in car near my face over the decades. I don't wear a large frame pair of glasses, so I just made the decision a couple of years ago to go full face with visor down 100% of the time.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Helmets, and seats for that matter, are something you have to try on. Some fit round heads better, and others egg shaped or elongated shapes. Wine Country does have a nice selection of helmets, suits, shoes, and gloves.
A helmet is one item I would not try to bargain hunt on. 10 cent helmets belong on 10 cent heads.
A light helmet is a plus, but strong and light is expensive.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:22 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

Wow Guys, Thank you! Great information. I think I need to go test out some helmets. Looks like a day trip to Wine County is in order. I got an Asian head. Really fat, big on the base and well, you know, flat in front. Haha. I'm leaning towards a full face, as it offers better protection. Will deal with the others issues. It will be a learning curve for me, but a nice challange. Again, thank you
Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

you will forget you have a full face on within 10 minutes
Old 10-24-2014, 01:41 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for full face. Just haven't got the patience for maxillo-facial surgery. I use my Bell Sport for Autocross, track days, sprint racing (the 996 Turbo), full field saloon racing (an old Integra), and wings and slicks single seaters - often with a Simpson Hybrid attached. No visibility problems (bar the Hybrid restricting turning of my head during and after a spin). Lighter is generally safer so would think go carbon if you have the money rattling around.

Quick Reply: Helmet Opinions DE/Autocross/Track days