Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Sneak Peek*** Function-First CONSOLE RISER KIT (GT3 console delete on steroids!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default ***Sneak Peek*** Function-First CONSOLE RISER KIT (GT3 console delete on steroids!!!)

After much planning and development, I'm excited to finally share my upcoming upgrade with the Rennlist community!

Here's a glimpse of the Function-First Performance CONSOLE RISER KIT

This comprehensive kit will raise the shifter and entire center console assembly an optimal 2 inches. Just like in racecars, bringing the shifter up closer to the steering wheel improves ergonomics and comfort, and allows the driver to more effectively maintain vehicle control - you want BOTH hands on the steering wheel! And when you just want to cruise and relax, the elevated elbow rest now resides at the proper height, inline with the door panel elbow rest!

It was of paramount importance that this upgrade blend seamlessly with the factory interior, so OEM carpet is used throughout. The kit will replace the stock forward center console (below the dashboard), and will come in 3 configurations:
- Plain Carpeted (no slot)
- Storage bin (shown in pics, bin not included)
- A/C control unit (control unit not included)

Current fitment is for 996 coupes. (Convertible fitment is under development)

The kit will be available for purchase within a few weeks! I'll be posting updates, so please check back here often. As always, feel free to contact me personally via PM or via email: luka(at)function-first.com

Thanks!

***Introductory Pricing***
Blank carpeted center stack model: $480
Storage Bin center stack model: $495
Climate Control Unit center stack model: $495

Attached Images      

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 10-28-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Added introductory pricing.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:15 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Too bad it won't work with a car with Nav. Not that the Nav is worth a hill of beans.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

where in NJ are you I'd like to come and see it in person.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by C5Driver951
Nice. Too bad it won't work with a car with Nav. Not that the Nav is worth a hill of beans.

I designed the option to mount the A/C unit in the center stack specifically for vehicles that have a double DIN Nav screen up top. The Console Riser Kit is easier to implement with an aftermarket Nav system, as those generally do not require using a DIN slot for the DVD drive, but you may be able to relocate the OEM DVD drive to the frunk, which then allows installation of the CRK.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Neat product! I like the idea of bringing up the elbow rest. And your announcement only days after I get the last piece of the GT3 console delete kit I ordered from Suncoast. Couple questions:

It looks like your kit doesn't afford the same amount of leg/knee room the GT3 kit gives. Can you comment on how much useable knee room is still there, or taken away?

Does your kit play well with short-shifters?

One more, sorry... You mention a dvd slot for nav... In my '05, the factory nav with dvd takes both high DIN slots, with Ac controls and cd storage in the middle slot. To install the GT3 kit, I was going to replace nav with a cdr23, and move the AC controls up. Will your kit allow me to keep my factory nav. Was there a separate dvd slot on earlier nav units?

Thanks for the help, and again, nice idea/product
Jeff
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what you mean, but the Porsche PCM for my 2005 996tt has a double DIN CD based nav system. Not sure how you'd get rid of the MOST type system without totally changing the interface to an aftermarket head unit.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:53 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by blockhed
where in NJ are you I'd like to come and see it in person.
Ditto - looks interesting!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:49 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

like it too. looks expensive lol
Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Pre-MOST Nav systems required an extra slot for the DVD drive. So for you guys with later Nav systems, installation of the Console Riser Kit is simplified, because your A/C unit can mount in the center stack (in place of where the storage bin resides in the pictures from the original post).

I'm using a short shifter, so there are no compatability issues with that.

Compared to the stock front center console, the CRK center stack is narrower by over an inch (CRK width is 8.75" while OEM width is 10") and is recessed further back under the dash, by 2.5", to maximize knee room. The GT3 console delete kit offers the most knee/leg room but provides no support for your right leg under cornering, whereas the CRK center stack remains unobtrusive while providing lateral support.

Introductory pricing will be released later this week, along with more in depth pictures of what comes with the kit.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:08 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks promising.

I can't wait to see one in person.

Curious about pricing for sure.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:11 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey guys, here's an update with some pictures of what will be included in the Console Riser Kit and introductory pricing for the different models I'll be offering. Once the product page is up on my website, I'll start an official product announcement thread with full description and product info, along with thorough installation instructions.

Again, current fitment is only for 996 Coupe models. Cabriolet fitment is under development.

***Introductory Pricing***
Blank carpeted center stack model: $480
Storage Bin center stack model: $495
Climate Control Unit center stack model: $495

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

ebrake has gap?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In OEM form, the E-brake is mounted disproportionately high in relation to the shifter. By raising the center console, it required the E-brake to be mounted 1/2-inch lower than the shifter to provide for an unobstructed path for your arm when shifting. As such, there resides a minor gap between the rear of the E-brake and the center console, which is nearly imperceivable when sitting in the car.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Installation Instructions are now posted!

See link for pdf:
FFP - Install Instructions (CONSOLE RISER KIT)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

that sure would freshen up my ratty alcantara console lol.

is there some reason a price can't be simply posted in an open forum? not even directing this at F1st per se. it just seems odd and SOP not to post a price on an item being offered. just seems counter productive, is all.

i'd sure like one of these though

Quick Reply: ***Sneak Peek*** Function-First CONSOLE RISER KIT (GT3 console delete on steroids!!!)