Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into it or talk me out of it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:31 AM
pantzjantz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me into it or talk me out of it...

I've wanted a Porsche for years but my 911 of choice has been a moving target and budget has always been a sliding scale. Because of this air-cooled bubble we're going through, a lot of the cars I used to be interested in just aren't worth it to me any more. So I've been looking at 996 and 997 variants. I only really like face lifted and wide bodied 996s (C4S/turbo) and prefer the 997.1 C2s to the 997.2 C2s (ps - can't get a non-S.. not sure why but I just cant). My problem with 997.1s is that I don't really want to pay the extra $$ in purchase price and still feel like I have to remedy the IMS bearing. I know it's been revised and over-hyped but it will always be on the front of my mind until I fix it. 996 C4S's are cheaper and older and so I'd be fine with buying it and tearing it apart to put in an upgraded bearing and proactively doing things like a new clutch/flywheel etc. I don't know why. I just have a hard time with immediately ripping into a $40k+, less than 10 year old 997.1 to do the same thing. So with that said I think I would be perfectly happy with a 996 C4S but then there is the age old conundrum of what about the turbo.. its not THAT much more money AND you get the power, reliability, Mezger awesomeness etc you know the drill.

So that's why I'm posting in the 996 turbo section.. To figure out if I'm crazy or not.

I would like my 911 to be as much of a DD as possible. I would probably sell my current DD but would still have a backup which is an rx8 which has been my weekend/track toy for the last seven years. I've literally turned every nut and bolt on that thing myself including removing and re-installing the entire drive train, suspension work, endless brake jobs, supercharger install.. the lot. So I'm fairly mechanically inclined and try to keep my cars in as best mechanical shape as possible without handing them over to any ham-fisted dealership mechanics.

I live in the PNW, commute ~40 miles round trip (50% twisty back roads, 50% major highway, minimal traffic), can work from home whenever if needed, have a lot of track experience including instructing.. I just want a Porsche 911 and a good one. One I'm going to be happy with for a long time, suits my needs, allows me to go to a few long distance track days (rx8 is a little loud, uncomfortable and stiff to go to tracks too far out of the area) and just basically fulfills my desire of dailying a 911. I like the awd because the roads here are always damp and it just seems like it would be fun clawing your way around regardless of the road conditions.

The 996 turbo seems great on paper(value/$/performance/function), a lot of people seem to have great experiences with them and it seems to suit my needs pretty well. I just have a hard time imagining this is a good idea. But at the same time I really don't want to go down the C4S route only to end up kicking myself and wondering if I should have got a turbo.

I know you've all read posts like this a thousand times but like the title says. Talk me into it or talk me out of it. I'm all ears.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:55 AM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

996 IMS issues are more common than the 997 issues. No issues with the Turbo. Only a slight price premium for the Turbo. These cars are great daily drivers, I have put 10K daily miles on my car since March, and just returned from a 2900 mile road trip. I have a track car as well, and instruct with PCA so I do have lots of track time. I have done a few DE's in the Turbo, but it is set up for street. Aside from oil changes and tires haven't spent a dime on the car. You've read the advice time and again before, buy a good car, do a PPI, and pull the trigger. And you will go to bed every night looking forward to your daily commute....
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

+1
Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a GT3.....it's the only REAL Porsche!!!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No IMS issues on the turbo totally different engines. The turbo engine is designed off of the GT1 race engine that won at LeMans
Old 10-15-2014, 01:50 PM
pantzjantz
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dhc3
996 IMS issues are more common than the 997 issues. No issues with the Turbo. Only a slight price premium for the Turbo. These cars are great daily drivers, I have put 10K daily miles on my car since March, and just returned from a 2900 mile road trip. I have a track car as well, and instruct with PCA so I do have lots of track time. I have done a few DE's in the Turbo, but it is set up for street. Aside from oil changes and tires haven't spent a dime on the car. You've read the advice time and again before, buy a good car, do a PPI, and pull the trigger. And you will go to bed every night looking forward to your daily commute....
Well that's encouraging

Originally Posted by blackbull
Get a GT3.....it's the only REAL Porsche!!!!!
LOL! yeah yeah. I would get a 997.1 gt3 in a heartbeat but they're a pretty penny and I would need to retrofit back seats for inevitable future children. One of my favorite Porsches for sure.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

996 Turbos are getting on in years. The newest one is nearly 10 years old.

They are good cars, in some ways great cars, but they are just cars and age will start to affect them. They are in many ways more complex than the N/A cars and I'm not just talking about the engine and its twin turbos. The fuel system, drivetrain, spoiler, clutch (boosted) and so on. The Turbo has a more frequent servicing schedule for some items. Plugs for one thing.

While it would not be a Turbo you might want to consider a newer N/A car -- at least see what is out there -- unless you have your heart set on owning a Turbo.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a Targa 46 997.1 and they are amazing. The one I owned is for sale and I can tell you I had the clutch redone and everything maintained on the car. PM if you want me to put you in touch with the current owner.

For a first 911, I think a 996TT would be an awesome choice. However, you might find yourself second guessing yourself, for illogical reasons. Those reasons are silly: headlights and a few interior design issues.

If you do buy a 996 TT you will be getting the best reliability and performance for the dollar, but the cars possibly still have more depreciation in them. If you start out with an air cooled, you will have less price exposure if you decide to move into a different 911. Just make sure you buy it "right" because it is always easier to buy a sports car than sell it. It is fairly common for sports car buyers to hold for a car for a short period of time as they try different models and find the one to their liking.

The 996 doesn't have the "cool" factor that the market currently puts on the air cooled 911s. I believe both the 996 and the 997s still have more depreciation in them than the air cooled. With a few exceptions, the air cooled are less performance than the 996 and 997s.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:55 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not believe the good 996tts with decent mileage will depreciate much if any further but the higher mileage and overly modded cars will always be had for less. I also would guess the air cooled will at some point come down in price point once the feeding frenzy is over= and it will. The air cooled will remain collectable and low mileage/stock 996tts will be also in 10-20 years. Just my opinions not facts.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

When will the 996TTs start going up?

tino
Old 10-15-2014, 05:12 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My guess, 10 years.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:17 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe you will see the prices hold steady for lower mile/stock cars but it could be 10 years before they go up but who knows= I think sooner.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

I'm betting that they have hit bottom this year.

tino
Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 PM
5ive0
Instructor

I think the TT is a great commuter...I would say go for it.. you may spend a bit more on maintenance... but at least you wont be worried about IMS (whether its justified or not) and you get phenomenal performance.

and as you can see from the comments, it might even be an investment in the long term.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM
gregp714
Advanced

I commute 40 miles round trip daily and I love mine. I handle my own maintenance so it hasn't/won't cost too much to keep maintained. My vote: do it.

Quick Reply: Talk me into it or talk me out of it...