Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do it

Old 10-23-2014, 11:51 PM
pantzjantz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies (I've been on vacation).

IMO 10 years old isn't that old for a car that is well maintained. It amazes me how aged a car can get in 10 years if it's owner neglects things like general cleanliness inside and out, wax/compound paint, leather conditioning, doesn't fix small things as they come up and just isn't mindful of how they treat the car. I would like to think as long as I was patient, selective and got a good PPI the 10 year mark wouldn't scare me off.

I don't have my heart set on a turbo. I'm just trying to figure out if i should cross it off my list or not. As for the air-cooled options I'm of the opinion the bubble won't necessarily burst but maybe drop off a bit after the frenzy and level off for a while. I'm just a little turned off by buying something that is expensive (for what it is) to begin with, may need a lot of work/$$, might dip in price right after i buy it...and all for a car i plan to put a fair number of miles on.

I'm also of the opinion the 996tt is approaching the bottom of it's depreciation. I'm a big fan of the bang for the buck it appears to offer but i guess my main worry is that the initial price doesn't lure me into a life of endless high dollar repairs by using it as a DD. Suspension/bushing wear, turbo rebuilds, 2nd gear issues, coolant hoses etc...If and when they come up I'd like to think they can be done economically and over time not catastrophically and only with diamond encrusted tools unavailable to the general public. I just don't know...

I shared a few of your comments with my wife and her response was "These guys are exactly like you. Get some critics to weigh in!". She's in full support of a 911 btw, and much like myself, she just wants it to be the right one. So there you go critics. Have at it.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 996 Turbo ownership experience - 4.5 years and 30,000 miles

Originally Posted by pantzjantz
IMO 10 years old isn't that old for a car that is well maintained. It amazes me how aged a car can get in 10 years if it's owner neglects things like general cleanliness inside and out, wax/compound paint, leather conditioning, doesn't fix small things as they come up and just isn't mindful of how they treat the car. I would like to think as long as I was patient, selective and got a good PPI the 10 year mark wouldn't scare me off.
My 40,000 mile 2002 looked brand new when I got it as my 'affordable dream car" 4.5 years ago and still does (bar the splitter/chin spoiler being a wear item and a fair barrage of stone chips from high speed runs on closed roads, autocrosses and track sprints - so worth it). Now at about 70,000 kms and the only 'biggies' have been getting the tip transmission mounts replaced, the tip upgraded, the engine block's silly glued in water fittings pinned, and a UMW based performance upgrade to stay ahead of some of the newest four doors.

I bought during the GFC and it took about 3 years for its value to fall to what I paid for it, so still very cheap supercar motoring.

Opinions vary and most Porsches look good but I love the clean styling of the 996T (as I did with the early '78-'79 928), and the oblique aggression of the Q lights that give a nod to Le Mans.

I'm a big fan of the bang for the buck it appears to offer but i guess my main worry is that the initial price doesn't lure me into a life of endless high dollar repairs by using it as a DD. Suspension/bushing wear, turbo rebuilds, 2nd gear issues, coolant hoses etc...If and when they come up I'd like to think they can be done economically and over time not catastrophically and only with diamond encrusted tools unavailable to the general public. I just don't know...
I always allow 30% of the purchase price on top of any used car's cost to sort out any issues and I'm nowhere near that yet even after many great miles, even including upgrades. There are 996 Turbos out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on them including a dozen track days a year and little more than the usual maintenance attended to. No issues with my turbos but I replace engine oil more frequently when tracking the car and allow her to idle down properly, all the more after working her hard. Shutting the engine off suddenly after a prolonged hard workout is the quickest way to kill these oil-cooled turbos.

I wouldn't swap my 996T for anything else and if you love performance driving you'll probably wind up the same.

If I was doing it again, I'd be quicker to replace the tranny mounts when shifts get jerky and I'd drop the engine to get the coolant fittings pinned and their collars liguid metalled straight after purchase, but that's all.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:09 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 04 turbo cab that I am considering selling. This one has a tip which I really debated over and am glad I did it. It is good to have both hands on the wheel on this car.

I am selling mine due to lack of use. It is bone stock bar a couple cosmetic upgrades(marker lights, painted rockers and bumperettes). Check it out in the classifieds if you have an interest.

They are great reliable cars at a great pricepoint.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by pantzjantz
I shared a few of your comments with my wife and her response was "These guys are exactly like you. Get some critics to weigh in!". She's in full support of a 911 btw, and much like myself, she just wants it to be the right one. So there you go critics. Have at it.
My comments were hardly a resounding recommendation to get the Turbo.

I advised you to look around at NA cars and see what you can get for what you would pay for a good Turbo example.

You can probably get a newer car, with plenty of get up and go, without the complexity of twin turbos, AWD, and with lower running costs and lower servicing costs.

With the place and tools and motivation you can do some servicing yourself. Whether you buy a Turbo or NA car I would recommend you get a portable lift so you can raise the car up in the air quickly and easily and safely. Ideally the lift should have the option of picking the car up by its factory sanctioned lift points and by its tires/wheels. But if all it can do is pick up the car by its sanctioned lift points that is far better than doing the old jack and jack stand shuffle.

Quick Reply: Talk me into it or talk me out of it...