Sponsored by:

Strange noise in my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Porsche996tt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise in my 996 Turbo

Porsche 996 Turbo year 2002, about 7000km.
I have taken out the engine for a strange noise. I found that one hydraulic Intake valve on the right side was bad; it had a clicking sound when I pushed the valve together. I have taken of the cylinder head on the right side to see if anything was broken. Everything looks good.
I bought too new hydraulic Intakes valves and a head gasket. I installed gasket, cylinder head, valves and cams. After that I went to an authorized Porsche workshop and paid them for timing the cams right. Then we mounted the engine in the car and now I have a New noise in the car. It’s a metallic heavy sound. I can gas up the engine wary slow to 3500-4000rpm, if I gas up fast the new sound appears. I can’t drive the car. No power.
Either wrong mounting cams by Porsche work shop, or can this sound appear if I mount this gasket the wrong way?
Then the Solenoid for Variable Cam Adjuster Camshaft can’t open so the oil doesn’t get through.

Variable Cam Adjuster Camshaft Part# 996-105-303-06-M100

Link to the sound&video on my car.

What is wrong?
=(
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Something's obviously wrong and if there is a right way and a wrong way to install the head gasket and you wonder if you have done this you need to remove the head and check. 'course, that probably means you'll have to replace the gasket with another new one, but that is a small price to pay for a lesson on how important it is to do it right the first time. (Now I'm not coming at you all high and mighty. I've had my share of do overs…)

You can also double check your installation of all the intake hoses but the noise does sound like something related to a lack of oil.

On that note you should not run the engine any more either until you get this sorted.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow oil starved or *something*. I wish I had something positive to say or advice but that is the worst sounding TT motor I've ever heard. It can't be better in.person.
I wouldn't drive it, let alone start it in the shape its in.
Good.luck.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

STOP IT!! if your starving the car of oil your killing the motor 1 minute of oil starvation is enough to destroy the motor. it has to come out and inspected. the problem will show itself easily
Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

The cam housing gasket cannot be flipped "or" switched from bank to bank.

Looking from the valve cover you should see the embossed writing Bank 1-3 or Bank 4-6. If you don't see it, then you flipped it 180 degrees.

The issue is ZERO oil is flowing to your hydraulic lifters AND no lubrication is going to your valve guides/valve stems..

You will have to pull the engine and remove the gasket. I'd also take a peak at your oil filter for metal..
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Porsche996tt
AutoX

First when I started the car and heard this I turned it off immediately, I had to make this video just for to hear and see what Porsche or you have any Idea.

The hole to the left on the gasket is for the high lift on the valves I think?

If I turned the gasket the wrong way (like in the new picture) the high lift valve won’t get oil?

If I put the gasket the right way, then it has to be the authorized Porsche work shop that made the timing of cams wrong.

I’m going to take of the Variable Cam Adjuster Camshaft Part# 996-105-303-06-M100. And see if I can see a gasket in the hole, or oil. Hoping I can see a gasket then I know what’s wrong.

Thanks for all suggestions.
=)
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 AM
5ive0
Instructor

my god, that was painful to listen to... worse than nails on a chalk board...

I agree with the suggestions below, definitely sounds like lack of lubrication...but i don't know much
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Porsche996tt
AutoX

Hi, I have now looked at the gasket and I have not turned it the wrong way, but I was hoping for that. Now the only thing to do is take down the engine and then buy a Porsche 996 turbo timing tool kit, anybody know a good one?????

I'm more and more sure that the Porsche workshop made a mistake when they adjusted the cams last time. Now I have to do there job even after I payed them a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Strange noise in my 996 Turbo