Sponsored by:

2001 996 Turbo maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:18 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2001 996 Turbo maintenance question

I just purchased a very nice, well maintained 2001 turbo tiptronic with 17,500 miles (18,130 now, I drove it home!). My plan is to use it as a nice weather only daily driver. After looking at all the service records, it looks like all the fluids were replaced regularly except the front differential and the transmission fluid. I also don't know if there is a transfer case or not (or is that just on 4x4 trucks?).
My question is: Should I replace the transmission fluid and differential fluid? I know there are many different schools of thought on this. I am very proactive with maintenance and want to start with everything fresh. I told the mechanic at Porsche (whom I'm friends with) that I wanted to do that and he was adamantly against doing it. He said that I would be asking for trouble and it's best left alone unless there is a leak or other problem with the transmission.
I have an appointment on Wednesday for a safety inspection and wanted to know if I should listen to the mechanic, or my gut? How do the people on this board feel about it?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i would change 13 year old fluids without a second thought. but know nothing about the required service intervals of tips. congrats on the acquisition though.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 250 Posts

^^^^ this ^^^^ Why not establish a known baseline and erase any doubts? I can't imagine why changing fluids in a tip would cause any problems. Oh, no transfer case on these puppies so don't go doing any rock crawling!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

I agree with the others. Change the trans fluid now and then do not touch it again until there is an issue. I change my tranny fluid and filter at 40k miles while I had the engine out for the coolant pipes to be welded. I also had the front and rear diff fluid changed.

The proper replacement trans fluid is now called Shell ATF134. The ZF tranny in our TTs is almost exactly the same unit used in 2005-2009 Jeep Grand Cherokees, 1999-2007 Mercedes MLs, early 2000s Sprinter vans and AMG McLaren SLRs.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer Barrier Porsche keeps telling me that the fluid is good for 100k and even then it is usually clean when they drain it so I wouldn't worry it. I'm going to have mine done at 50k next year just for the hell of it. I think brake fluid and anti-freeze are more likely to be needed by years instead of miles.

Dan
Old 08-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have 2 Mercedes with the same tranny and they claim it's lifetime fluid

Dan
Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans996tt
My dealer Barrier Porsche keeps telling me that the fluid is good for 100k and even then it is usually clean when they drain it so I wouldn't worry it. I'm going to have mine done at 50k next year just for the hell of it. I think brake fluid and anti-freeze are more likely to be needed by years instead of miles.

Dan
The fluid is good for a "lifetime" but the wear items in the tranny can sometimes shorten that lifetime. Most people who know auto trannies say if you are going to change the fluid do it early (under 50-60k) and never touch it again.

You are correct about the brake fluid and anti-freeze. Those both should be change by time interval not miles. I had my anti-freeze replaced when the engine was out for the coolant pipes. I will probably never change it again. Brake fluid I change every year because of track driving.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i know it isn't "true" but i often wonder if porsche advises me to only change my transmission oil every 90k miles(!?) in the hope i'll let them open it up once it needs to be repaired lol
Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

got my '07 997.1TT Tip 18 months ago- now has 24.5k miles- Just had dealer install EP1 exhaust, also new plugs/coil packs, trans fluid/filter, front/rear diff fluids & belt replaced. Plan on keeping car long while.-
Few months back wife's 07 Boxster S with 58k miles- had water pump, tstat, antifreeze, tip filter/fluid, plugs/coil packs replaced. old water pump bearing/impeller looked fine- PM is important IMHO.

Many yrs ago wife's lexus developed trans issues- no reverse- was like neutral- i'd not ever changed trans filter or fluid- after trans repair- changed filter every few yrs-
Old 08-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche also says oil changes every 9k miles. I cut that in half or once a year whatever comes first!
Lot of manufacturers claim 100K rans fluid changes. To many friends who adhered to that rule had trans work done. Let me qualify, no one I know on the Porsche trip. My opinion would do trip trans fluid every 30K
Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 45 Posts

I just dropped my car off with Mike Callas at Rennsport Works for some work (brake fluid flush, diverter valve replacement, boost leak test, air filter replacement). I asked Mike if I should change out my differential and transmission fluid (I'm at 64K miles) and he said "no, no need at this point...change at 90K miles." Given that he's the man when it comes to Porsches, as far as I'm concerned, I'm sticking with his advice.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by up4speed
I just purchased a very nice, well maintained 2001 turbo tiptronic with 17,500 miles (18,130 now, I drove it home!). My plan is to use it as a nice weather only daily driver. After looking at all the service records, it looks like all the fluids were replaced regularly except the front differential and the transmission fluid. I also don't know if there is a transfer case or not (or is that just on 4x4 trucks?).
My question is: Should I replace the transmission fluid and differential fluid? I know there are many different schools of thought on this. I am very proactive with maintenance and want to start with everything fresh. I told the mechanic at Porsche (whom I'm friends with) that I wanted to do that and he was adamantly against doing it. He said that I would be asking for trouble and it's best left alone unless there is a leak or other problem with the transmission.
I have an appointment on Wednesday for a safety inspection and wanted to know if I should listen to the mechanic, or my gut? How do the people on this board feel about it?
Used to be an early change was advised. I do not know about older Porsches but when I bought a new 2001 Camaro Z28 I had its tranny/diff (with LSD) fluid changed at around 15K miles. Why? Because not too many years earlier Chevy specified a fluid change at that mileage.

You stated you are proactive with maintenance so go ahead and have the fluids changed. The service is not that expensive and it gives you some peace of mind you are helping perhaps to extend the life of the hardware.

Do the front diff and tranny/diff too. It doesn't experience nearly the load/forces the rear diff does but what the heck.

Had the tranny/diff fluid changed in my 02 Boxster -- at 60K miles -- and every 60K miles thereafter. The odo just rolled over 285K miles and the tranny shows no signs the miles have had any effect.

While you are in the mood have the coolant drained and replaced with fresh coolant.

Quick Reply: 2001 996 Turbo maintenance question