2001 Porsche 911 Turbo PDR question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 AM
tank146
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo PDR question

Guys I need some advice.

My 2001 996 Turbo got hailed out. The insurance company looked at it today and came up with a figure of 10,000 to fix. It included PDR on the hood and roof. I talked with one of my friends and he is telling me that it may cause structural instability to do PDR on the roof and hood.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would doubt that but have no real facts to back it up. I'm sorry to hear about the damage but the best thing to do is talk to more than one pdr person and try to gather info.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by tank146
Guys I need some advice.

My 2001 996 Turbo got hailed out. The insurance company looked at it today and came up with a figure of 10,000 to fix. It included PDR on the hood and roof. I talked with one of my friends and he is telling me that it may cause structural instability to do PDR on the roof and hood.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
Tim
Ask your friend what is his source of info.

I've never heard anything about PDR causing structural instability with the roof or hood.

The hood (front trunk) is not a structural member.

The roof is not a major structural member, at least not all of it. A large portion of the roof of my Turbo is sunroof and that portion serves no real structural function.

The portion of the roof -- top -- of the car that plays a major role in the structure of the car is by the body component -- I'm not sure of its name -- that includes the portion that connects to the front tub then flows into the a-pillar and continues up along the top of the car then runs down and forms the c-pillar and flares out to become the rear fender and extends down and connects to the rear tub.

To save a bunch more words, here's about all I could find in the way of a picture (drawing):

For a more authoritative source of info find a Porsche Approved Collision Center in your area and ask about any concern about structural integrity regarding PDR to address hail damage just to be sure. If there is -- and I doubt there is -- but if there is then this could render the car totaled. Porsche would not consider the car road worthy if any repair left the car's structural integrity compromised.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I call BS re:structural damage. Had a fair amount of hail damage on another car years ago. Insurance had a PDR company fix it - came out superb! Very happy with the results. I do believe that it is not such an issue if you have small dents - the bigger ones may cause problems down the road (paint spidering, cracks). I think her car was about $4k of work for a Mazda SUV - so $10k for a 911 sounds about right (haha)

Assuming nominal damage - don't worry. However, you'll always have the cloud over your head when you go to sell it or if aesthetic issues occur later.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo PDR question