Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to jack up the car

Old 08-25-2014, 05:20 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need to jack up the car

Hey Rennlisters - Ok I know this topic has been discussed but I still not sure how to properly jack up a 996tt. I have the jackpoint jackstands but need to get the car higher to replace a bad clutch accumulator so will need to use regular jackstands. I know how to get the front up but what about the back?

What are you guys doing to get the rear up? Do you use the engine?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Never jack any car by the engine.

Use the middle of the crossbar. You can't miss it. Although,you'll need a low profile jack because it is far towards the middle of the car.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you'll get to the accumulator.. floor jack/stands but if you ever go for the slave? you;'ll need a lift to fully remove it. tight fit
Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I've never been too comfortable with that, but I read somewhere ( I think here) that is was okay. Anyone else??
Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drh
I've never been too comfortable with that, but I read somewhere ( I think here) that is was okay. Anyone else??
NEVER!!!

Imagine the engine is suspended on the frame,holding to " dear life " by the mounts,transmission bell housing etc.
Also imagine the stresses you are putting on the points that are holding the engine to lift up the car(or at least the rear of the car). You'll be stressing them to the maximum movement,at which point they'll start engaging the chassis to go up.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 45 Posts

The only time I've heard that it's okay to put a jack under the engine is when dropping it a few inches to replace diverter valves, etc. In this case, you're only supporting part of the engine's weight (vs. a significant portion of the car's weight).
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Reno 911
The only time I've heard that it's okay to put a jack under the engine is when dropping it a few inches to replace diverter valves, etc. In this case, you're only supporting part of the engine's weight (vs. a significant portion of the car's weight).
Correct!

That's a totally different ball game : supporting vs jacking up.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
While not preferred, the first 911 I ever saw jacked up was right on the bottom of the crankcase--by someone who'd just come back from a Le Mans effort with a 935.......

Can't say I've had any problems over the past ~35 years when I've had to. Both on my own cars, and several hundred customers. Nor have I heard of any problems from either the street or race sides of the business. (I'll submit that the transaxle mounting on 964- chassis changed things a bit.)
Old 08-26-2014, 12:30 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enough people have practiced jacking from the crankcase enough that it's not likely a non-issue. Though my preferred method is definitely jacking from the cross braced ahead of the crankcase.

If you don't have a long or low enough floor jack, you can always roll onto some 2x6's or ramps for that much more room.

Don't forget to chock the front wheels when lifting at the rear.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never jack the vehicle from the engine. With that said - some do it and do not experience problems. Personally, I would not take the chance (stress on motor mounts).
Jack from the proper lifting points, throw a jackstand on the rear crossbeam. Do the other side.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:23 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911
While not preferred, the first 911 I ever saw jacked up was right on the bottom of the crankcase--by someone who'd just come back from a Le Mans effort with a 935....... Can't say I've had any problems over the past ~35 years when I've had to. Both on my own cars, and several hundred customers. Nor have I heard of any problems from either the street or race sides of the business. (I'll submit that the transaxle mounting on 964- chassis changed things a bit.)
Please don't take this the wrong way,but personally I'm a little disappointed that a man with your experience would even mention it can be done,considering there are a lot of inexperienced DIY-ers out there that just need to change their brakes or what have you and are looking for advice on how to properly do the job.
These are not Cup cars.
Show me a workshop manual of any make and model where it says that it can be jacked by engine and I'll eat it-literally!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:41 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't know how much higher you need to go but there are Jackpoint pads available to get as much as 15" at the lift point. I'll share an image I received from a customer showing how he got more height for supporting a Cayenne or Tourareg. I would guess that using a solid platform to raise the level of the jack stands similar to this picture would work. However, since I can't control what you use for the platform, I can't officially endorse this practice.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Like those stands!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The only factory sanctioned lift points are clearly given in the owners manual. Either the car should be lifted by these or by the tires/wheels.

Here is a drawing showing the lift points from the factory manual:

Really for these cars if one is going to work on his car he needs to invest in a proper lift. Not the dealer service bay lift but a small portable one that one can drive over and then use to lift the car up high enough to work under the car comfortably. This lift will let the car be raised by its lift points shown above or by the tires/wheels.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I've lifted the rear of every Porsche I've owned using a jack under the engine; never had a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to jack up the car