Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The oem KKK-16 possibilities with a 996T?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I could have gone with any turbos I pleased but ended up going with Kevin's K16/997GT2 zero clearance turbos. Kevin built a set of these for me specifically for track use and they are fantastic. They are used in concert with his injectors and I think he calls these the 2B set up. Kevin's ECU programming is 1.3 bar / 7200 rpm redline on his custom 91 tune but I always track it on a 91/100 mix for greater margins. My car has a RUF intake and turbo intake pipes and just plain flies. I have run with just about every car you can think of at our track (road course, not drag strip) including Aventadors, 458s, ZR1s, McLaren MP4c, GT2s, 700hp Evoms 997TTs, and none are a match. Kevin actually detuned the turbos slightly for my use to protect the stock rods. UMW service is second to none. For comparison purposes, a good friend of mine has a 997TT with stock VTG turbos, Evoms programming, and a Europipe exhaust. After riding in my car, he feels my set up spools faster and in a more linear fashion. Kevin did a fantastic job on the programming to create a very nice flat N/A type torque curve.
Thanks for your reply powdrhound

The K16/997GT2 zero clearance also seems to be on the short list.
And the programming by Kevin as well.

How soon is the spool up? How early do you get the peak boos level?

How does your RUF compare to the IPD Product line?

How does the rest of your overall external overall infrastructure look like?

Any thought on the weight of the replaced (or just removed) parts other than their performance?

/Slalom996T

Last edited by Slalom996T; 09-24-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 09-10-2014, 07:50 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom996T

The K16/997GT2 zero clearance also seems to be on the short list.
And the programming by Keivin as well.

How soon is the spool up? How early do you get the peak boos level?

How does your RUF compare to the IPD Product line?

How does the rest of your overall external overall infrastructure look like?

Any thought on the weight of the replaced (or just removed) parts other than their performance?

/Slalom996T
1. Spool up is smooth and progressive to make throttle modulation similar to a normally aspirated engine. This was one of my criteria and Kevin programmed it as such. I am seeing peak boost of 1.3bar by 3K rpm or so but it is programmed that way to protect the engine rods for my application. The turbos are effectively detuned down low to protect the engine. I may have my engine rebuilt this winter as I already have an RSR crankshaft and oil pump at home. We will most likely install Carillo rods and the Mahle 3.8 piston/liner kit while at it. This will allow Kevin to safely open up the programming a little more I believe.

2. I do not have any experience with the IPD throttle body. I considered it briefly since it was cheap and easy to put in when my engine was out earlier this year but both my mechanic and Kevin at UMW advised against it. I trust both of them immensely. I even spoke with RUF in Germany and they said they use the stock throttle body as there was no improvement in that area to be made. RUF told me they found quantifiable gains by enlarging the intake manifold post MAF and going to larger turbo intake piping. That is what they use on their cars and what is on my car. Others may have more to add regarding the idp products.

3. Externally, everything looks OEM. The only difference is that RUF relocates to fuel filter to make room for the enlarged intake manifold but it all looks OEM if that's what you're asking.

Here you can see the enlarged RUF intake manifold post MAF and the relocated fuel filter mounted at the top of the engine bay. In the second picture you can see the larger rear portion of the intake along with the enlarged turbo intake hoses. Both of these items allow the engine to breathe easier as that is the main restriction in the OEM set up from what I understand.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o5bb8p]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/og2f1z]

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-10-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for your reply "02996ttx50

I agree, the K16/24 hybrid might be one of the candidates for the short list. And the zero clearance in combination as well.

Going uphill is probably quite similar compared to slalom with a shortish distance between the cones?

I wonder if it is feasible to enable 1 Bar (peak boost) already around 2 rpm? With 93 gas, 10:1, good IC:s, etc?

PLease elaborate on your choice on the Y-pipe.

What format might be my best choice?

I believe the best for my application deals both with "no" lag as well as fast spool as well as the boost peak of 1 Bar at 2k rpm? On the ipd homesite there are a few choices.

And how about the rest of your overall external infrastructure?

Gearing?

/Slalom996T
my gearing is stock. but i have a wavetrac tbd/lsd. another "must have" to mitigate the "open diff freewheeling" of my rwd car. before i added the wavetrac, that wheelspin was embarrassing, to say nothing of time consuming.

my set is the basic ( old terminology ) "stage 2" setup with the 16/24's w x50/gt2 ic's, 5 bar fpr, 1.0 wg's and evoms dv's and of course exhaust/1.2 tune etc etc.. nothing fancy, and it is old, but very hardy.

there isn't a better hill climbing setup around for this platform of which i am aware. i just added the 68mm ipd plenum and that has increased the low end torque and throttle response in instantly yet subtly defined ways. i feel it is a another "must have" in the evolution of the car to be comfortably sitting in its sweet spot of 475/500+ rwhp. i have not yet dealt with y-pipe but may also ipd it down the road. i think the gains @ intake though would be the plenum moreso although they are certainly interconnected.

you want/need full boost @ 1.0? @ 2k? no prob ( i'm hitting 1.2-1.3.. ) on an 8% grade uphill around a corner btw 2-3k? no problem. this will get it done. for the purposes of discussion, i would venture the needs and demands off an up/downhill climber, and a car set for slaloming are one and the same.

give the 16 billets or old school 16/24's some serious consideration. they also get it done up top. but it's low and middle where they shine. i think.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

1. Spool up is smooth and progressive to make throttle modulation similar to a normally aspirated engine. This was one of my criteria and Kevin programmed it as such. I am seeing peak boost of 1.3bar by 3K rpm or so but it is programmed that way to protect the engine rods for my application. The turbos are effectively detuned down low to protect the engine. I may have my engine rebuilt this winter as I already have an RSR crankshaft and oil pump at home. We will most likely install Carillo rods and the Mahle 3.8 piston/liner kit while at it. This will allow Kevin to safely open up the programming a little more I believe.

2. I do not have any experience with the IPD throttle body. I considered it briefly since it was cheap and easy to put in when my engine was out earlier this year but both my mechanic and Kevin at UMW advised against it. I trust both of them immensely. I even spoke with RUF in Germany and they said they use the stock throttle body as there was no improvement in that area to be made. RUF told me they found quantifiable gains by enlarging the intake manifold post MAF and going to larger turbo intake piping. That is what they use on their cars and what is on my car. Others may have more to add regarding the idp products.

3. Externally, everything looks OEM. The only difference is that RUF relocates to fuel filter to make room for the enlarged intake manifold but it all looks OEM if that's what you're asking.

Here you can see the enlarged RUF intake manifold post MAF and the relocated fuel filter mounted at the top of the engine bay. In the second picture you can see the larger rear portion of the intake along with the enlarged turbo intake hoses. Both of these items allow the engine to breathe easier as that is the main restriction in the OEM set up from what I understand.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o5bb8p]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/og2f1z]

The "linear" spool up sounds like it aids the driver in the torque progression vs available grip.

Any idea how the torque curve might look if it is "let free"?

Is the RSR crankshaft stronger (or lighter) than the oem 996T?

Is the RSR oil pump better?

What c/c of the Carillos? Same as oem 996T?

Does the oem Mahle 3.8 piston/liner have the same or longer deck height? (I'm not aware of the deckheights of the 996T and the 997 3.8 and the compressed gasket height for each.)

Does the 996T head vs 3.8L piston/liner vs 3.8L kit head gasket need any modifying?

What was the main reason for keeping the oem TB? No possible improvement at all?

Have I understood it correctly that Ruf suggests keeping the oem TB but enlarging the areas before and after the TB?

Is the rest of your setup today oem 996T?

Looks like the Ruf induction has less pressure drops as well as quite improved capacity?
I've tried to locate a pcture of the Ruf Components but can't find any?

/Slalom996T
Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
my gearing is stock. but i have a wavetrac tbd/lsd. another "must have" to mitigate the "open diff freewheeling" of my rwd car. before i added the wavetrac, that wheelspin was embarrassing, to say nothing of time consuming.

my set is the basic ( old terminology ) "stage 2" setup with the 16/24's w x50/gt2 ic's, 5 bar fpr, 1.0 wg's and evoms dv's and of course exhaust/1.2 tune etc etc.. nothing fancy, and it is old, but very hardy.

there isn't a better hill climbing setup around for this platform of which i am aware. i just added the 68mm ipd plenum and that has increased the low end torque and throttle response in instantly yet subtly defined ways. i feel it is a another "must have" in the evolution of the car to be comfortably sitting in its sweet spot of 475/500+ rwhp. i have not yet dealt with y-pipe but may also ipd it down the road. i think the gains @ intake though would be the plenum moreso although they are certainly interconnected.

you want/need full boost @ 1.0? @ 2k? no prob ( i'm hitting 1.2-1.3.. ) on an 8% grade uphill around a corner btw 2-3k? no problem. this will get it done. for the purposes of discussion, i would venture the needs and demands off an up/downhill climber, and a car set for slaloming are one and the same.

give the 16 billets or old school 16/24's some serious consideration. they also get it done up top. but it's low and middle where they shine. i think.

Why removing the awd tranny (assuming it is not a GT2)? Regulations?

Although a nice setup compared to a oem 996T! What exhaust? Weight and/or performance considerations? There seems to be more than a lot to choose from.

The 68mm ipd plenum in your case seems to enable the preferred improvement of the slalom tool "increased the low end torque and throttle response in instantly yet subtly defined ways"!

Yes, I also believe that "uphill" and a slalom track with a shortish distance between the cones share close to the same torque curves.
But the more area under the torque curve between the low rpm point and the shift point the better, assuming "reasonable" grip and handling.

I also believe that a WIDE torque curve (vs a peaky curve) is a lot more forgiving since the driver also will be on the way uphill on the learning curve...

Low/ered roll center?

Since the outset for the slalom tool is oem 996T spec anything with a nice cost vs performance yield must be considered.

/Slalom996T
Old 09-11-2014, 09:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i removed the front diff to go rwd and then added the lsd as the need for it became immediately apparent on my choice of canyon roads. the power delivery is vastly improved, no more wheelspin ( well, ..lol heh ) with the combination of zero wheelspin coupled with the genuine two wheel drive afforded my by the lsd. it's instant on power down.

the previous "open differential" issues are really counter-productive at speed in corners.

the exhaust i chose is a 200 cel kline from romania and it is a work of art, both aesthetically and performance wise. i don't know the weight but it's less than stock for sure. sounds amazing no drone at all.

my car is lowered approx 1.5" on h&r sport springs and i run 9x12x18 and the ride/stance is low/flat and wide. i hope this helps you. but it's a very solid setup as i mentioned for twisting and turning. what i do daily
Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The "linear" spool up sounds like it aids the driver in the torque progression vs available grip.

Any idea how the torque curve might look if it is "let free"?

Is the RSR crankshaft stronger (or lighter) than the oem 996T?

Is the RSR oil pump better?

What c/c of the Carillos? Same as oem 996T?

Does the oem Mahle 3.8 piston/liner have the same or longer deck height? (I'm not aware of the deckheights of the 996T and the 997 3.8 and the compressed gasket height for each.)

Does the 996T head vs 3.8L piston/liner vs 3.8L kit head gasket need any modifying?

What was the main reason for keeping the oem TB? No possible improvement at all?

Have I understood it correctly that Ruf suggests keeping the oem TB but enlarging the areas before and after the TB?

Is the rest of your setup today oem 996T?

Looks like the Ruf induction has less pressure drops as well as quite improved capacity?
I've tried to locate a pcture of the Ruf Components but can't find any?

/Slalom996T
I would call Kevin at UMW and he can tell you all about the Turbos, he is the one that builds them and does the programming for them.

The RSR crankshaft has improved oiling compared to the TT crank. There is an oiling port at the 180º and 360º point of the crank as opposed to just one on the TT crank. The RSR pump is a dual pick up pump vs. single pick up on the TT.

Don't know what you mean by "c/c of the carillos".

The Mahle 3.8 kit is a direct drop in as far as I know. Mahle is an oem supplier to Porsche. I don't believe there is any modifying of the head or gasket.

I kept the OEM throttle body because I was advised there was no benefit to changing it out. Correct, RUF does not change it out and neither does Kevin at UMW.

Engine wise, my motor had the RUF Rturbo set up as done by RUF. This consisted of a RUF ECU, RUF K24hybrid turbos, RUF intake, RUF turbo intake hoses, RUF exhaust. I ended up changing to Kevin's custom set up consisting of UMW custom ECU programming, UMW K16/997GT2 Zero clearance turbos, and UMW injectors. The rest of the RUF items remained. Additionally, a 997GT2 vacuum pump was installed on the left bank exhaust cam. Other than that, engine is stock.

You can't find pictures of the RUF intake anywhere because it is not sold separately ala carte by RUF. It comes as part of the Rturbo package.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

i removed the front diff to go rwd and then added the lsd as the need for it became immediately apparent on my choice of canyon roads. the power delivery is vastly improved, no more wheelspin ( well, ..lol heh ) with the combination of zero wheelspin coupled with the genuine two wheel drive afforded my by the lsd. it's instant on power down.

the previous "open differential" issues are really counter-productive at speed in corners.

the exhaust i chose is a 200 cel kline from romania and it is a work of art, both aesthetically and performance wise. i don't know the weight but it's less than stock for sure. sounds amazing no drone at all.

my car is lowered approx 1.5" on h&r sport springs and i run 9x12x18 and the ride/stance is low/flat and wide. i hope this helps you. but it's a very solid setup as i mentioned for twisting and turning. what i do daily

Canyon roads sounds very nice! Many choices and/or formats of the LSD?

Since there are quite a lot of exhaust systems to choose from: How many candiates had you? Please elaborate. Living in a perfect World I'd like to choose from weight vs performance delivery...?

Since the Slalom tool also is to be subjected to "real life" normal streets: What's might be the practical (vs oem) ride height in your opinion?

/Slalom996T
Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

I would call Kevin at UMW and he can tell you all about the Turbos, he is the one that builds them and does the programming for them.

The RSR crankshaft has improved oiling compared to the TT crank. There is an oiling port at the 180º and 360º point of the crank as opposed to just one on the TT crank. The RSR pump is a dual pick up pump vs. single pick up on the TT.

Don't know what you mean by "c/c of the carillos".

The Mahle 3.8 kit is a direct drop in as far as I know. Mahle is an oem supplier to Porsche. I don't believe there is any modifying of the head or gasket.

I kept the OEM throttle body because I was advised there was no benefit to changing it out. Correct, RUF does not change it out and neither does Kevin at UMW.

Engine wise, my motor had the RUF Rturbo set up as done by RUF. This consisted of a RUF ECU, RUF K24hybrid turbos, RUF intake, RUF turbo intake hoses, RUF exhaust. I ended up changing to Kevin's custom set up consisting of UMW custom ECU programming, UMW K16/997GT2 Zero clearance turbos, and UMW injectors. The rest of the RUF items remained. Additionally, a 997GT2 vacuum pump was installed on the left bank exhaust cam. Other than that, engine is stock.

You can't find pictures of the RUF intake anywhere because it is not sold separately ala carte by RUF. It comes as part of the Rturbo package.

The RSR crank seems to be favourable. Is the oem 996T of the same strength? May it be modified in the same manner?

With the "c/c of the carillos" I simply meant the c/c length of the chosen rod.

The Mahle kit sounds appropriate for a longmiler 996T? And the increased volume might also suggest a slightly earlier boost pressure point?

I guess that a increased exhust gas volume will result in earlier boost pressure?

/Slalom996T
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Canyon roads sounds very nice! Many choices and/or formats of the LSD?

Since there are quite a lot of exhaust systems to choose from: How many candiates had you? Please elaborate. Living in a perfect World I'd like to choose from weight vs performance delivery...?

Since the Slalom tool also is to be subjected to "real life" normal streets: What's might be the practical (vs oem) ride height in your opinion?

/Slalom996T
there are only really a few choices for lad's with a custom guard being top of the list for oft tracked cars. there are also giken etc but again, i saw no need for a plate type clucth type lsd that i would EVER have to mess with.

so i chose the wavetrac torque biasing differential which achieves much the same purpose as a plate type. the only potential for inefficiency *might* be when entering into corners hot and trail braking, *some* tailsnap is possible, though the design and function of the wavetrac differs from many TBD type lsd's and has addressed that shortcoming with their design. though i have to say in my style driving conditions i have never felt anything to be lacking, with the wavetrac while hard braking. under full accel it is all it needs to be. so for hard driven and sometimes tracked street cars? you'd be hard pressed to find fault with the wavetrac. at $1295 it's huge bang for the buck. i'm pretty sure a guard lsd will set you back a few grand, but you could also do custom gearsets if wanted at the same time? so it depends on your needs i suppose. my stock gearing and trans seem perfectly suited to the rwd w wavetrac.

the perfect ride height as a *starting* point is either x73 ( 20mm drop approx ) or factory gt2 i would think.

then lower from there ( or not ) to your liking lol. i'm a smidgen lower than gt2.

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 09-12-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

there are only really a few choices for lad's with a custom guard being top of the list for oft tracked cars. there are also giken etc but again, i saw no need for a plate type clucth type lsd that i would EVER have to mess with.

so i chose the wavetrac torque biasing differential which achieves much the same purpose as a plate type. the only potential for inefficiency *might* be when entering into corners hot and trail braking, *some* tailsnap is possible, though the design and function of the wavetrac differs from many TBD type lsd's and has addressed that shortcoming with their design. though i have to see in my style driving conditions i have never felt anything to be lacking, with the wavetrac while hard braking. under full accel it is all it needs to be. so far had driven and sometimes tracked street cars? you'd be hard pressed to find fault with the wavetrac. at $1295 it's huge bang for the buck. i'm pretty sure a guard lsd will set you back a few grand, but you could also do custom gearsets if wanted at the same time? so it depends on your needs i suppose. my stock gearing and trans seem perfectly suited to the rwd w wavetrac.

the perfect ride height as a *starting* point is either x73 ( 20mm drop approx ) or factory gt2 i would think.

then lower from there ( or not ) to your liking lol. i'm a smidgen lower than gt2.

Please adwise where the best source of this LSD may be found?

Since the Slalom tool will also be used in the "jungle" of the normal streets ...: The -20mm is a reasonable overall compromise i your opinion?

/Slalom996T
Old 09-12-2014, 02:38 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Please adwise where the best source of this LSD may be found?

Since the Slalom tool will also be used in the "jungle" of the normal streets ...: The -20mm is a reasonable overall compromise i your opinion?

/Slalom996T
just read up on the many threads of avaialble/workable lsd setup for 996 turbo here and on 6spd. plenty of info on them.

the -20mm was the compromise porsche made from the factory for US cars with the x73 "sport suspension". i believe the ROW height for turbo was a bit ( 20mm? ) lower already.

any lower and driveways become things to *navigate", i would guess i'm roughly 50mm dropped from US oem height and am consequently mindful of any/all driveways, speeds bumps etc.

the lower stance and handling are well worth it. you must lower your car for slaloming or else use oars or paddles as it will be boatlike lol
Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

just read up on the many threads of avaialble/workable lsd setup for 996 turbo here and on 6spd. plenty of info on them.

the -20mm was the compromise porsche made from the factory for US cars with the x73 "sport suspension". i believe the ROW height for turbo was a bit ( 20mm? ) lower already.

any lower and driveways become things to *navigate", i would guess i'm roughly 50mm dropped from US oem height and am consequently mindful of any/all driveways, speeds bumps etc.

the lower stance and handling are well worth it. you must lower your car for slaloming or else use oars or paddles as it will be boatlike lol

The issues with the ideal chassis height compromises may maybe be solved with these gadgets?:

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...ts/poz-mn02-2/

already -20mm lower than oem and with 10 click settings

-50mm sounds like a nice challenge!

/Slalom996T
Old 09-13-2014, 07:42 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i have no familiarity with those but they approximate the ride height ( -20mm) of the bilstein factory x73 "sport suspension" which also lowered the car 20mm from stock ride height. keep in mind the gt2 is about - 10mm lower than the US turbo and folks go lower than that for sure. think of a 40mm drop being roughly equivalent to a 1.5 inch reduction and you're about where you'd want to be. however you decide to get there lol
Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 AM
Slalom996T
Advanced

i have no familiarity with those but they approximate the ride height ( -20mm) of the bilstein factory x73 "sport suspension" which also lowered the car 20mm from stock ride height. keep in mind the gt2 is about - 10mm lower than the US turbo and folks go lower than that for sure. think of a 40mm drop being roughly equivalent to a 1.5 inch reduction and you're about where you'd want to be. however you decide to get there lol

Chassis height compromise need to be investigated.

/Slalom996T

Quick Reply: The oem KKK-16 possibilities with a 996T?