GT2 slave conversion, big difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 AM
rocketTT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 slave conversion, big difference

Hey all,

I am a fairly new owner of a 2001, for about 4 months. I loved everything about the car when I bought it, except for the clutch. When the car was in the shop to have the coolant pipes pinned, I decided to do the slave conversion at the save time.

What a big difference, night and day. I used to dread coming to a stop light, especially if it was on an incline. Now, it is no big deal. The engagement point is the same every time and I can build my muscle memory to the clutch's engagement point. I can totally finesse the clutch now instead of relying on a lot of throttle in order not to kill the engine.

The pedal pressure is heavier now, but it is not that bad at all. I had to drive it in one of the worst traffic in the country the other day (880 in the bay area) and it was no problem. This is how Porsche should have build it in factory instead of the assisted BS. If you are on the fence before and you like manual trans and don't have any sort of knee issue, get off the fence and do it. I was and still am amazed by how much better it is now. One of the best mods, period.

Now the car is truly enjoyable. It has got power (500 whp), handling (pss9) and sweet shifting (gt2 slave and GT3 shifter). Time to go on some drives!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you made the mod and enjoying it!

Though I'd like to offer a alternate success story. Not suggesting it's a better or worse choice. Just another option.

My slave failed leaving a nice puddle of pentosin on the ground. I gave the GT2 slave a lot of thought. In the end, I decided to keep the stock boosted setup and replaced the slave and accumulator. And upgraded to a '999 764' pressure plate because my stock clutch was slipping with my upgraded turbo's.

Couldn't be happier with my choice. The clutch weight is just great even with the motorsports heavy pressure plate. And clutch engagement/pickup is perfect as well. You wouldn't be able to tell it's boosted if you didn't know it. Not the sketchy engagement point issue I was experiencing near the time the slave was failing.

That said, if the assisted setup is not working for you, it may just be that the components are failing and need to be replaced.

Or you can opt for the GT2 setup which I'm sure is great as well.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketTT
Hey all,

I am a fairly new owner of a 2001, for about 4 months. I loved everything about the car when I bought it, except for the clutch. When the car was in the shop to have the coolant pipes pinned, I decided to do the slave conversion at the save time.

What a big difference, night and day. I used to dread coming to a stop light, especially if it was on an incline. Now, it is no big deal. The engagement point is the same every time and I can build my muscle memory to the clutch's engagement point. I can totally finesse the clutch now instead of relying on a lot of throttle in order not to kill the engine.

The pedal pressure is heavier now, but it is not that bad at all. I had to drive it in one of the worst traffic in the country the other day (880 in the bay area) and it was no problem. This is how Porsche should have build it in factory instead of the assisted BS. If you are on the fence before and you like manual trans and don't have any sort of knee issue, get off the fence and do it. I was and still am amazed by how much better it is now. One of the best mods, period.

Now the car is truly enjoyable. It has got power (500 whp), handling (pss9) and sweet shifting (gt2 slave and GT3 shifter). Time to go on some drives!
Gotta love a happy ending. You must have kept your original flywheel and plates, and just did the slave conversion, correct?

I'm still adjusting to my new setup but hope to have the same outcome once I get more accustomed to it.

-V
Old 08-21-2014, 05:23 PM
rocketTT
Track Day

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
Gotta love a happy ending. You must have kept your original flywheel and plates, and just did the slave conversion, correct?

I'm still adjusting to my new setup but hope to have the same outcome once I get more accustomed to it.

-V
The car came with LWFW and clutch upgrade that was done only 5k miles ago. I believe it was Sachs stage 2.5 disk.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My C4S has a different system than the turbo. Much harder to push in the clutch pedal. Wonder if that is a viable swap. Gotta believe the cost would be way less than GT2 parts.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How does the gt2 conversion compare to a bad accumulator in terms of how heavy the clutch is? I want to do this too as the clutch frustrates me, but I worry about resale value.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

always find it weird driving a 996TT with stock clutch hydraulics, GT2 clutch gives the driver wayyy more 'information' but is heavier(which I also like, some will/some won't)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:29 AM
rocketTT
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ck986
How does the gt2 conversion compare to a bad accumulator in terms of how heavy the clutch is? I want to do this too as the clutch frustrates me, but I worry about resale value.
I cannot tell you the difference because my accumulator was still good. However, I think having a "proper" clutch fitting for a sports car should not harm the resale. Anyone interested in the car should care about how the car drives.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

the gt2 clutch conv feels just like a 993 or a gt3 clutch.. or any "normal" clutch lol. it has a more precise engagement and i think eliminating the hyd assist will indeed affect the possible resale. i wouldn't do it unless the car had no chance of ever being really "stock" again. in which case it must be great mod. gee, why haven't i done it yet!? in the meantime i just have my accumulator as a normal maint item. i swear you can replace one and it can go bad within a cpl months! by "bad" i mean occasional hard pedal at startup. beyond that, i guess i'm just used to its inconsistency which is consistent lol

'm sure i'd like it the gt2 mod. i applaud those who have completed it.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have a problem with the hyd assisted. Never noticed any problems with engagement. It did have issues when the slave went out and the engagement would vary, ever since replacing the slave its been great and predictable.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I don't have a problem with the hyd assisted. Never noticed any problems with engagement. It did have issues when the slave went out and the engagement would vary, ever since replacing the slave its been great and predictable.
Same here. Always able to move the car away from a stop with minimal clutch slippage. That the clutch had zero wear at 110K miles -- was able to measure this when the tranny was out for an RMS job -- attests to the fact there is no excessive slipping being done.

When the accumulator went out the clutch was still easy to operate just the initial push when I went to start the engine required more effort. Once the engine was running though the clutch was boosted. I do not recall any untoward behavior from the clutch when slave cylinder when it went bad -- started leaking fluid -- but I didn't drive the car much when the slave was diagnosed.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:45 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Must agree...GT2 conversion transforms the cars PREDICTABILITY with clutch usage. Must have IMHO.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many of you have the GT2 slave with a heavy pressure plate like the 999 764 plate?

Quick Reply: GT2 slave conversion, big difference