Driven monthly to golf corse
Needs everything serviced and I mean everything
Anyone want to give me prices or links to
This one year model ?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:04 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Curious why the owner didn't do regular maintenance? Do a search on here, autotrader etc and that will give you an idea of asking prices then add /subtract low miles and needed maintenance. Color, options and if its a manual/auto will help determine value.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2005 models usually sell for a premium as it's the last year these cars were produced with a very small number sold. When you say it needs everything serviced, was the previous owner neglecting oil changes? I have seen pictures of how stale oil eats away at the motors components so would probably pass.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The current owner is 84 years old

He bought car new, ordered it with every
Option offered
Many retired gentleman buy too many
Toys and just leave them in the Florida
Golf house
I know the owner by way of being a contractor
At his home.
He says the car is difficult to get into and
His shoulder hurts, he prefers his Mercedes
He didn't care about having car serviced
He let battery die and had dealer replace with new each season
Then drove a few miles to dine or golf
I don't think he ever left the island
Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Blue interior is a pain to find parts for, but given the mileage it should be perfect!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:31 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

grab it. it's the more modern version of the little old lady from pasadena with the pristine super stock dodge in her garage.

if you like cabs that is.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanzibar Red 996
Some cars find you, that's the desk here

I have been offered a silver with blue top
And blue interior 05 turbo s cab
It has 6,000 miles
Stored in a/c
Driven monthly to golf corse
Needs everything serviced and I mean everything
Anyone want to give me prices or links to
This one year model ?
For prices check www.nada.com or www.kbb.com and there are other similar sites that offer wholesale/trade in, private and retail sale prices for used cars.

Feed in the numbers, details about the car and get the numbers.

However, I have to caution you the numbers won't reflect the risk the total lack of servicing can have on the car.

New engines are notorious for blow by which loads the oil up with contaminates. These turn into acids which attack everything the oil is in contact with, seals, gaskets, o-rings in tensioners, and of course all metals.

The concern is not that the "acid" will eat a hole through the block but that it will compromise a seal or a gasket or an o-ring and the engine will develop a leak at say the RMS, or a head gasket leak, or a chain tensioner will not fully tension the chain because the o-ring is not sealing properly.

I do not want to think about 9 years of the same brake fluid in the braking system.

My point is that with the lack of servicing the car is worth less than its low miles and probably (on the surface at least) pristine condition indicates.

The trouble is the seller probably won't see it that way and demand a premium for the car.

While no one can say for sure, my money is that the car will develop issues from the lack of use and servicing. Engine oil leaks, leaks from other places, like the water pump, possibly the A/C seals, transmission seals (and if a manual clutch accumulator and slave cylinder) and even the spoiler cylinders.

While these are not car killers they sure can put a dent in one's wallet to address. One could be looking at spending $10K (or possibly more) to address these as they come up.

BTW, with just 6K miles on the car it is still a new car in that it hasn't covered the 50K miles the original factory warranty covers. Thus the car is still at risk of developing new car problems. These can range from rattles to a bad electrical wiring harness, from a failed clutch accumulator to malfunctioning headlight washer. So the buyer also assumes this risk.

I'm not saying the car is not worth owning, I'm saying one needs to be aware of what lack of servicing can mean especially for a 9 year old car and the risk a 9 year old car with just 6K miles presents to its next owner.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Id plan on a MAF, plugs and coils without a doubt. I bought my 02 with 9k two years ago and due to sitting thats what mine needed.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you need less service than you think. Oil and oil filter, air and cabin filter (maybe), brake flush, check for leaks/seeps, make sure the tires haven't timed out, and that's where I'd stop. $2500 even with tires at an expensive dealer.

I assume its a tip=> little chance of RMS happening. Transmission and diff fluids haven't been exposed to much heat cycling.

Spark plugs? If you really have a yearning. I changed mine with less mileage and they were perfect. Plus you expose yourself to the "glass jaw" OEM coil packs which you risk damaging.

Coolant? Suppose to be lifetime. Many disagree about that timing. If you get into it, make sure you flush throughly as I believe the Porsche coolant has changed chemistry since '05.

Other than above, I think your biggest risk is that some garage goober banged a wheel on a ceramic disk. Both inner and outer faces should be checked with the wheels off, using a magnifying glass and a good light. Big money to replace even one.

Enjoy the fact that it is a lightly used "machine" that has far, far less wear and tear than one with 'normal' use.

Good luck
BD
Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Zanzibar, good to see you over here ;-)
Check for local P dealer records, maybe the old coot did have some maintenance done, if he had the battery replaced. Drop a bit of oil and have it checked by blackstone.

My research on over 80 recent selling prices indicates an average selling price just over $48,000. Deduct for automatic 4%, add for '05 about 10%. PM me if you want selling price data.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plugs, coils, coolant, check radiators, oil change, maybe more !
Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

I agree with BostonDuce about needed maintenance. I have bought quite a few low mileage cars over the years and have never had the horror stories mentioned happen to me. Take care of it and do good maintenance = it will treat you well.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As my original post states I know the car need everything
Tires
Every hose
Coolant tank
Aos
Plugs
Coils
Belt
Fluids
I don't think there are enough of them sold to trust nada or kbb
So I may be offered this car for
a fab price
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

If I was owner I would get the car serviced and then sell but may work well for you. Must be the climate if all hoses are shot and why does it need aos? Sounds like you have a plan to pick it up cheap and do the work.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

yer not gonna need plugs OR coils or belts or cabin filters any of that stuff after 5k of sitting lol

just flush ALL fluids, even coolant. then just break the damn thing in. 5k miles sheesh lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 turbo Cab S questions