Aos
Plugs
Coils
Belt
Fluids
I don't think there are enough of them sold to trust nada or kbb
So I may be offered this car for
a fab price
Can't agree the car needs all of the above.

Tires sure, if older than 6 years or otherwise in sad shape.

Hoses last and last. A tech can check the hoses -- give them a squeeze and advise you if any need changing. The hoses on my 02 Boxster are original as are the hoses on my 03 Turbo.

Coolant tank? Not unless it is leaking.

AOS? I'd wait until it acts up. Wait we're talking about a Turbo here. Not the same AOS as the 996 NA engine.

Plugs? Due on time.

Coils? Not unless the tech finds signs of coil cracking.

Belt? Yes.

Fluids? Oil/filter. You bet. Drain and refill coolant. I do not know about any change in anti-freeze but your tech should know and if there has been a full flush can be required.

Brake fluid flush and bleed? Definitely.

Transmission/diff fluids can wait. You can do them earlier than the miles call out if you want. After I bought my 03 Turbo in 09 with 10K miles I drove the car around 20K miles than had it in for a tranny/diff fluid service. (Tech spotted a selector shaft leak and a new replacement tranny installed under CPO warranty.)

Be sure to change the cabin air filter and the fuel filter and I'd do the engine air filter too, just to get these out of the way.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like those older low mileage cars - I've bought a number of them over the years. Did the basic oil changes/fluid flushes and good inspection on hoses, belts,tires, etc. and then drove the crap out of them. I've never had any of the horror stories people predict - these cars are pretty well built - they don't dissolve from sitting!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Last930
I like those older low mileage cars - I've bought a number of them over the years. Did the basic oil changes/fluid flushes and good inspection on hoses, belts,tires, etc. and then drove the crap out of them. I've never had any of the horror stories people predict - these cars are pretty well built - they don't dissolve from sitting!
I agree....just changing things without any data based reason is unwise.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:39 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My experiences have been the same as Last930 with low mileage examples.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the same, and bought a low mileage 996 TT from an octogenarian. Mine is a 03 with just over 11,000 miles.

Had my local independent look it over, and they determined that it needed plugs, coil packs, and they replaced the fuel filter. Otherwise they said it was in great shape. So I wouldn't worry, looks like what most people are saying is that the cars are reliable and as long as stored in decent condition, last a long time.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Last930
Luck, I'm sure, plays a role.

The low miles (~10K) pristine '03 Turbo I bought in 2009 lacked for nothing. Even had rather good servicing based on what I learned calling dealers around here.

But things went wrong as I drove the car.

Some things I can just blame on new car problems: shifter linkage broke, noisy idler roller bearing, clutch accumulator and slave cylinder, snapped radiator fan motor shaft on passenger side (tech never encountered this failure before). These all happened/appeared before 50K miles and were covered by the CPO warranty. The CPO warranty expired 2 years after I bought the car and after the odometer had accumulated around 60K miles.

But the leaking transmission selector shaft seal? Noisy power steering pressure relief valve? Leaking water pump? Leaking front diff axle flange seals? Leaking RMS? Leaking spoiler cylinders? Another noisy idler roller bearing? Except for the leaking transmission selector shaft seal which was discovered at around 30K miles and covered by warranty all the rest happened after the warranty expired and at around (or after) 100K miles.

While some of the above has to be due to bad luck some I believe (like to believe at any rate) some are because of lack of regular use for the 1st 6 years of the car's life with its original owner. The car covered on average 1667 miles/year the 6 years the original owner has the car.

Even after my experience with a low miles car, I might not shy away from buying another low miles car again. As long as the low miles car is basically sound, and in very good condition as it should be with low miles, and the car has received some servicing, and doesn't exhibit any scary fluid leaks or other symptoms during or after a nice long test ride and test drive, and if (big if) I could get the car at a price that helps mitigate the risk of issues arising later on I could buy another low miles car.

And probably will. When the time is right I think I'll move to a 997 Turbo.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

At 100k the fact that you bought the car low mileage is not the reason for your problems= just normal wear . And yes I know about your Boxsters low maintenance history but that is exceptional and not the norm. You will pay a premium for a well kept low mileage car and know one in their right mind is going to discount for possible future issues.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a PPI done on mine, BY a Porsche dealer prior to purchase, car comes off the truck and guess what? It wont boost over .4 bar, bad MAF unit. Again my car had 9k miles. I dont thinkyou need to go overboard, i'd drive it and then evaluate the items that need to be addressed.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Luck, I'm sure, plays a role.

The low miles (~10K) pristine '03 Turbo I bought in 2009 lacked for nothing. Even had rather good servicing based on what I learned calling dealers around here.

But things went wrong as I drove the car.

Some things I can just blame on new car problems: shifter linkage broke, noisy idler roller bearing, clutch accumulator and slave cylinder, snapped radiator fan motor shaft on passenger side (tech never encountered this failure before). These all happened/appeared before 50K miles and were covered by the CPO warranty. The CPO warranty expired 2 years after I bought the car and after the odometer had accumulated around 60K miles.

But the leaking transmission selector shaft seal? Noisy power steering pressure relief valve? Leaking water pump? Leaking front diff axle flange seals? Leaking RMS? Leaking spoiler cylinders? Another noisy idler roller bearing? Except for the leaking transmission selector shaft seal which was discovered at around 30K miles and covered by warranty all the rest happened after the warranty expired and at around (or after) 100K miles.

While some of the above has to be due to bad luck some I believe (like to believe at any rate) some are because of lack of regular use for the 1st 6 years of the car's life with its original owner. The car covered on average 1667 miles/year the 6 years the original owner has the car.

Even after my experience with a low miles car, I might not shy away from buying another low miles car again. As long as the low miles car is basically sound, and in very good condition as it should be with low miles, and the car has received some servicing, and doesn't exhibit any scary fluid leaks or other symptoms during or after a nice long test ride and test drive, and if (big if) I could get the car at a price that helps mitigate the risk of issues arising later on I could buy another low miles car.

And probably will. When the time is right I think I'll move to a 997 Turbo.
. Thank you Macster...Exactly why I bought a higher mile car at a steep discount rather than pay a steep premium for a low miler, then put a bunch of maintenance money into it plus take the depreciation hit... Financially way ahead.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Sometimes money is not the issue some people like having a low mileage car with a little nicer ( on average) interior etc. I as others have noted have been very lucky with low mileage cars and have had none of the problems Macster mentions. I would buy a higher mileage car if I planed on modding or driving it everyday. In the past I have bought cars with over 100k and did the maintenance which was much more expensive and involved then on my lower mileage cars. I never came out ahead but enjoyed the challenge of keeping the car running and in good condition. My 1999.5 Audi A4 has progressively needed more money spent on it as miles have went up as the first 75k I didn't spend a dime other then preventative maintenance. As I said before no one wants a high mileage sports car, and yes I have bought many but never kidded myself into believing it was anything but a high mileage car that will be hard to sell and worth way less then I have in it. All that said I would never buy a 996tt as an investment and bought it with money I had no other plans with other than to waste lol. Bottom line cars are one of the biggest waste of ones resources there is ( unless you buy rare cars and speculate or get lucky) its a luxury and why not buy the best car you can. I would rather have a low mileage clean 996 then an higher mileage iffy 996tt.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:09 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad luck can many times be turned around with alot of money.

Sounds like a case of over analysis. If you love it, buy it. Have a suitcase full of cash in case stuff goes wrong. Stop worrying.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Couldn't be better said you buy a sports car buy the best you can afford and have money to do repairs in reserve. My point is yes a Porsche is not a Ferrari but you never see someone saying they got this sweet Ferrari for sale with 100k miles lol.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all due respect to all who have answered

My post
There are really no nada or Kelly prices for this
One year model car. Those services depend upon auction results and reported sales to
Forecast a value and there just aren't many
Sold each quarter
Anyone see a sale ?
How much ?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

the price is exactly what someone is willing to pay for said car. the last ferrari 250 that sold was "supposed" to sell for 50 million. market said 38 million.

whats YOUR price? thats what the car is worth. to you. 05 cabs have sold for 60k$ in great shape. so if your into wrenching and want a low mileage cab buy it. if you send it to porsche for all these parts you say need replacing your deal may not look so great at the time of the final bill
Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $60k for an immaculate COUPE 2005 Turbo S 6MT with 27k miles back in April

with a few add ons. I still had to do coils, plugs, oil, a new radiator, coolant etc and because of the tuning a new clutch.

I saw cabs at that price and higher with similar miles and autos about $5k cheaper FWIW

Quick Reply: 2005 turbo Cab S questions