Sponsored by:

Thinking now may be the time to sell my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thinking now may be the time to sell my car

Today was the first day I drove both kids to daycare in the Turbo. It will not soon be forgot. My nearly 3 year old son was crying with tears running down his face because he could not extend his feet the whole way now that his sister was in the front seat. I have my son in a britax forward facing carseat in the rear seat and I have the Porsche airbag deactivation kit and my 2 month old daughter rear facing in the passenger seat.

In my sons crying fit he spills his container of cheerios on the floor. All before I even get the door shut.

I spend the next 20 miles driving 55 mph at low RPM's and taking every corner slowly so as not to disturb my sleeping daughter. upon arriving at daycare I notice I forgot my laptop at home.

I have been debating selling the Porsche to buy more rental property and I think today just made up my mind. The weekends are spent doing family activities or working on investment property. (where I have to drive the pickup)

Heck, the only time I had to drive the car was during the week and if I have to drive it like a 1990 dodge caravan I might as well not have it at all.

I am going to get a video of my son telling me he want to drive the truck instead of the Porsche and show it to him when he is 15

in the next few weeks I will put a FS ad up. I will be Porscheless for the first time in 13+ years.....
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot, sorry to hear it, when I had my kids I had boring Subaru and Holden (GM) family cars.

and as I say, business is business, that takes priority over cars always... sell the Porker, buy another house and in 10 yrs you'll be able to buy a McLaren or whatever tickles your fancy

Last edited by Tuxiemama; 07-21-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Drinking Amarone, cannot type or spell
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 PM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bummer! All good reasons to potentially move on. Though I suspect you might have known and been looking for this day to transition anyways?

Get that house and perhaps lease a Panamera?

My daughter who just turned 4 personally loves to ride in the Porsche and will complain if I take any other car to drop her off in the morning. Even if that other car is a posh LX470 that gives her a commanding 180 degree view over everything.

I never had to deal with an infant carrier in the 911, but I personally can't wait for my son to start pre-school. I look forward to the day they will be both gleefully enjoying the 911 with dad front the back seat. That's how I imagine it at least.

If it helps any, you could transition your son to a less bulky belt positioner with back type seat. And remove the porsche pseudo seat back/self. This will give him a bit more room fore and aft.

Good luck and let us know where you land with this move.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

I will apologize in advance, sounds to me like the tail is wagging the dog. My children survived rolling in Porsches. I am certain I won't die alone.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Holy **** Judd, I just realized I was responding to you. Do I have to come up to Kentucky and..... Whip out a can of 944Fest on your ***?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
Holy **** Judd, I just realized I was responding to you. Do I have to come up to Kentucky and..... Whip out a can of 944Fest on your ***?
Ha! Yeah I am looking at a three townhome deal now that I figure will make me 25k in 6 months by flipping one of the three and renting the other two will net me 16k a year after expenses as a long term hold. All for 30k down.

I really love the car. The three of us used to go to a lot of Porsche events in the car together but now that there is 4 of us we will not fit in the car for the next 1.5 years minimum.

I will be back in something......maybe an AM DB9 in 4-5 years if things keep going well
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
Bummer! All good reasons to potentially move on. Though I suspect you might have known and been looking for this day to transition anyways?

Get that house and perhaps lease a Panamera?

My daughter who just turned 4 personally loves to ride in the Porsche and will complain if I take any other car to drop her off in the morning. Even if that other car is a posh LX470 that gives her a commanding 180 degree view over everything.

I never had to deal with an infant carrier in the 911, but I personally can't wait for my son to start pre-school. I look forward to the day they will be both gleefully enjoying the 911 with dad front the back seat. That's how I imagine it at least.

If it helps any, you could transition your son to a less bulky belt positioner with back type seat. And remove the porsche pseudo seat back/self. This will give him a bit more room fore and aft.

Good luck and let us know where you land with this move.
Not going to lease a Panamera. The turbo has not had a loan on it for years and I like having it free and clear. (besides daycare at 1700/ month kills that fun!)

I do have a smaller seat I could try. I have removed the lower part of the seat that is attached by Velcro. if you take out the top half would the car seat not rock forward and back?

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
Ha! Yeah I am looking at a three townhome deal now that I figure will make me 25k in 6 months by flipping one of the three and renting the other two will net me 16k a year after expenses as a long term hold. All for 30k down.
Kind of hard to pass up that opportunity. In the long run I'm sure it will pay off. GLWS......Now if I can only find a deal like that here in Ontario.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM
irie1029
Advanced

LOL jsut traded mine in for an E63 S AMG just too hard to get grandkids around. BTW the E63 is sweet!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Revn29k00
Kind of hard to pass up that opportunity. In the long run I'm sure it will pay off. GLWS......Now if I can only find a deal like that here in Ontario.
tell me about it. I am going to look at a foreclosure today. 107k duplex. rents for 800 per side.

needs about 6k in work then it should CF more than 900 per month. crazy deals here in the midwest.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can fully understand wanting to use the money for investments but in all honesty its not the car to haul kids around= that's what family cars are for. I would keep it and use another car when needed.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I can fully understand wanting to use the money for investments but in all honesty its not the car to haul kids around= that's what family cars are for. I would keep it and use another car when needed.
I have driven a Porsche since my wife met me in College (my 944 back in 2001) She said jokingly that she is not sure she could be with me if I did not have one!

I recently got a Ram 1500 quad cab for hauling the kids and working on the rental properties. I can drive that every day if I want to and leave the car sit but then why have the car? Over the last 13 years I have been doing 8-10k miles on the Porsche I was driving and it was great. Keeping this one to do 1,500 or 2,500 miles seems like an asset that is not bringing me money or joy.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can understand I'm 55 retired since I was 48 and everyday I'm busy with my house/life wife you name it but when I find time to take my 996tt out all is good. I would think if you can invest the money and get another toy later that would make sense at your the point in life .
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Markintexas45
7th Gear

please let me know if you decide to sell as I am currently looking for an 02-04 to buy. I would like to know more about your car and how much u want. I have owned 2 911's in the past and now the kids r out of the house I am looking very hard.

Thanks
Mark
Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Ditto

Quick Reply: Thinking now may be the time to sell my car