Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD conversion - do I need new spindles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

32krazy I know I was commenting if you went all the way like I did with coilovers etc such that the RWD conversion gives the full weight reduction benefit
Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by IrocMan
And I would lose the signal for ABS too, as the tooth portion of the CV would be missing.

So basically I need to find "tension bolts" as described by powderhound that would fit my car, or build it from regular CV joints.

Now I'm confused - how did folks who converted their TT to RWD do?
They seem to say it's a one hour, piece of cake job?!
This is what you need. These "stub axles" (aka tension bolts) came from a disassembled CV joint of a 996TT front axle. As an optional step, all the material past the toothed speed sensor ring (where the bearings normally reside) was cut off and machined smooth for weight savings. And no, I don't have these anymore as I sold them few months back to someone doing a RWD conversion.

Honestly, the best way to do the RWD conversion properly and correct the goofy TT front end geometry is to swap to the GT2 uprights with the associated hardware. If you are also planning on a suspension upgrade, that would be a perfect time to do to minimize costs. A fully functioning TT front drive system is worth about $2K which largely covers the GT2 front end conversion.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/g5SLAd]
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

powdrhound articulates to perfection what I am currenty too drunk to write
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
32krazy I know I was commenting if you went all the way like I did with coilovers etc such that the RWD conversion gives the full weight reduction benefit
mine has the jrz coil overs and i didn't have to change any suspension settings when i removed them. brakes lines and steering linkage was all that was needed to get the coil over out.

pwderhound if you know someone who wants to spend 2000$ for the front drive setup let me know!! i haven't had a bite on any of the parts
Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
mine has the jrz coil overs and i didn't have to change any suspension settings when i removed them. brakes lines and steering linkage was all that was needed to get the coil over out.

pwderhound if you know someone who wants to spend 2000$ for the front drive setup let me know!! i haven't had a bite on any of the parts
It's been over a year ago, but I dug mine out of the basement and sold it to a guy who bought a Turbo and found out after the fact that the prior owner converted it to RWD. He wanted it back to stock. I managed to sell it within one week of posting. Patience my friend...
Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 AM
IrocMan
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks a bunch!
Powdrhound that's exactly what I had in mind, so thanks for the pic. I like to keep original parts avail for the car in case of sale. So I'll find a pair of worn CVs and will turn them if there's more than an ounce to save otherwise will keep them as they are once dismantled...
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you go to the new gt2 uprights will your current coilovers still fit if they are made for the turbo? Or would I have to get new coilovers
Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z06801
When you go to the new gt2 uprights will your current coilovers still fit if they are made for the turbo? Or would I have to get new coilovers
Depends on what coil overs you have. If you have a motorsport coil over like JRZ, Moton, MCS, etc., then the answer is yes because those coil overs are designed for GT2/3s and use an adapter sleeve and different upper mounts for the AWD application in the TT. I am not sure if you can adapt a budget street coilover like PSS10 or H&Rs, that are designed for a TT, to use with the GT2/3/Cup uprights. You would need to check with the respective manufacturer. You can also pick up a set of OEM GT2/3 coilovers for a few bucks on fleabay or the forums. There are lots of them in basements from people that have upgraded their suspension to more race oriented set ups. Coilover issues aside, you will need new upper mounts, GT2/3 offset 350mm front brake rotors, 996TT/GT2/3 6 piston front calipers (or space out your stock TT front caliper with 10mm spacer and GT2 OEM caliper bolts), and the following items pictured below. Everything you see there comes to about $1500 if I recall, give or take. BTW, you can see how much bigger the toothed ring is on the GT2 tension bolts compared to the TT bolts/spindles..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fzqFcw]
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’m considering doing the RWD conversion on my turbo as well and so I’ve started to do a bit of research.

A couple of questions (powdrhound or anybody else?)

Stub axle AKA “tension bolt”; you’ve said that the GT2 tension bolt will not work, however the Carrera, the Carrera 4 and the Turbo all use the same wheel hub, as well as the wheel bearing so I’d be surprised if the tension bolt from a Carrera cannot be used, comments? I saw one of your posts saying the GT2 tension bolt will NOT work, but I didn’t see an explanation or pictures nor any comments on the Carrera tension bolt.

Suspension uprights:
I’m curious how different the turbo upright is from the 2wd Carrera upright to “fix” front geometry. I know the GT2/GT3 use different front uprights but my curiosity is to what degree. I do know that the Carrera uprights WILL accept GT2/GT3 coil overs, found that out when I was converting a 996 Carrera into a track car some years ago...
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I’m considering doing the RWD conversion on my turbo as well and so I’ve started to do a bit of research.

A couple of questions (powdrhound or anybody else?)

Stub axle AKA “tension bolt”; you’ve said that the GT2 tension bolt will not work, however the Carrera, the Carrera 4 and the Turbo all use the same wheel hub, as well as the wheel bearing so I’d be surprised if the tension bolt from a Carrera cannot be used, comments? I saw one of your posts saying the GT2 tension bolt will NOT work, but I didn’t see an explanation or pictures nor any comments on the Carrera tension bolt.

Suspension uprights:
I’m curious how different the turbo upright is from the 2wd Carrera upright to “fix” front geometry. I know the GT2/GT3 use different front uprights but my curiosity is to what degree. I do know that the Carrera uprights WILL accept GT2/GT3 coil overs, found that out when I was converting a 996 Carrera into a track car some years ago...
Take a look at the pictures above that show the diffence in the GT2 and TT tension bolt and stub axle. Read the last sentence of post #23. The C4 and TT have the same upright, the C2 does not. The bearing has nothing to do with the tension bolt, the upright does. Read my posts above. The C2 upright would most likely work on the TT but you are much better off using the GT2/GT3/Cup upright since they are designed for a much lower right height compared to the C2. Similar to the TT, the C2 uprights will give you pretty bad bump steer if lowered since it's designed for a much higher stock ride height.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. I see indeed that the tension bolt is different between the GT2 and the turbo. That is expected though, considering that the turbo part is integral to the front axle/CV joint. Are you saying the tooted side (for ABS sensor pick up) of the tension bolt on the GT2 would be too big to fit in the space provided on a turbo upright? Perhaps I’m missing something but I don’t see a side by side comparison.

Also, part #s indicate that the 996 GT2 tension bolt can be used on the Carrera (and a Boxster, GT3, Cayman, 991, etc.), and since all these cars use the same wheel bearing AND wheel hub.

Let me ask it this way (and pardon me if I’m making you repeat yourself)- Have you tried the GT2 tension bolt in the turbo carrier or had them side by side to see an obvious incompatibility? I don’t have a sense of scale when I see different pictures showing the parts.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. I see indeed that the tension bolt is different between the GT2 and the turbo. That is expected though, considering that the turbo part is integral to the front axle/CV joint. Are you saying the tooted side (for ABS sensor pick up) of the tension bolt on the GT2 would be too big to fit in the space provided on a turbo upright? Perhaps I’m missing something but I don’t see a side by side comparison.

Also, part #s indicate that the 996 GT2 tension bolt can be used on the Carrera (and a Boxster, GT3, Cayman, 991, etc.), and since all these cars use the same wheel bearing AND wheel hub.

Let me ask it this way (and pardon me if I’m making you repeat yourself)- Have you tried the GT2 tension bolt in the turbo carrier or had them side by side to see an obvious incompatibility? I don’t have a sense of scale when I see different pictures showing the parts.
Yes, that is what I'm saying. The toothed part of the GT2 tension bolt is much larger in diameter than the TT part and thus would not fit in the TT upright which has a much smaller opening for the spindle to fit in.

The GT2 tension bolt will fit in all the RWD cars because they have different uprights that the TT or C4. It's the size of the opening in the upright that drives the fit of the tension bolt, not the bearing or wheel hub.

The GT2 tension bolt will not fit in the TT upright. Trust me on this....
Old 07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the response, saves me from locating tension bolts just to end up having to take apart the CV joint. BTW, I’ve followed a lot of what you’ve done to your 996, looks like a rather enjoyable car thanks for the pics and documenting it also.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the response, saves me from locating tension bolts just to end up having to take apart the CV joint. BTW, I’ve followed a lot of what you’ve done to your 996, looks like a rather enjoyable car thanks for the pics and documenting it also.
No worries. Good luck with your project...

Quick Reply: RWD conversion - do I need new spindles?