Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI additional checks

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bonnet sticker missing? That build sticker is not something that just peels off. The bonnet may have been replaced, which would suggest some front end damage and repair. Center rad issues could be evidence, along with the wheel arch and other stuff. Paint blemishes might support that theory also - unless they're talking about nicks and dings to the original paint.

Is it a tiptronic? I don't believe that the manual transmission vehicles tip the passenger mirror when in reverse. (Someone spot or correct me on this one?)

Engine bay light is missing - have it replaced and make sure it works so you're sure the owner is not masking other gremlins by taking it out.

-V
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
So it has done it it's lifetime what I do in an average day near redline !
I know, right? For reference, my car had 29,639 (4min 20sec or so) at redline, and 323 (2.8 sec) above when I bought it. And my PPI tech said yeah, no issues here.

-V
Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Something odd here . I just checked the M numbers and they seem to be for a different car
When i convert the total kileometres covered to miles it is 51,751
Current recorded mileage is 52,268
The shop has a good reputation but has done the last service
And there is no vehicle id shown . The shop is shut now ..
It is very important to when you get the over rev report that is fresh -- ideally taken after you have taken the car for a test ride/drive.

Also, that is clearly tied to the car you are considering.

Last once you have the report you should not delay too long if you want the car and if you deem the car worthy. Some other buyer can test drive the car and possibly over rev the heck out of the engine and then you come back after a leisurely week or two of "thinking about it" and buy a car with over revs.

I can't help regarding the mileage differences except to offer this:

Generally there are two types of tampering. One is if the car was at some point a lease vehicle to turn the odometer back so there is no extra charge or there is a substantially reduced charge for going over the allotted miles. Say the lease had a 10K mile per year for 3 years mileage restriction and the car covered instead of 30K or less miles covered 40K miles. The odometer would get turned back to if not under 30K maybe just a skosh over 30K. The driver pays $0.30/mile for say around 1K miles over or $300 instead of $3000 for 10K miles over.

Two is someone seeks to turn a high mileage car into a low mileage car. For instance turning say a car with over 100K miles maybe back to 90K miles or even 80K miles. Cars take a bit depreciation hit with 100K or more miles so there is a financial reward to be had for this deception.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

A friend offered the following comments due to the readouts
Being photographed from a PIWIS tester

" I wouldn't pay too much attention to the M numbers stored in the DME. It is common for them to differ wildly to the parts system. They often use different codes, and if you could see the Country Code in the report, it will most probably show it as C10. All UK 996's and 986's show it as C10, whereas the VIL shows C16, as you know.

The difference in mileage readings is normal, as the instrument cluster and DME take their speed inputs from different sources - and the cluster is always set uo to over-read the speed, due to legislation. Speedos can over-read up to a set percentage, but must never under-read. "
Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

A new chapter in my 911 turbo story has begun . I will make an
Introductory post next week . Thanks for help .
Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Congrats! Looking forward...
-V

Quick Reply: PPI additional checks