Sponsored by:

18" or 19" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
They are for 19's and I meant GT2 width sizes. The 18" GT2 size are no better then running the same spec width on 19's.
Only thing better about 18's are that there are more tire choices including R compounds.

got it, thanks. my thoughts on them were that they were a harsher ride, unfavorably so. often rubbed at hard lock, and far more easily than any 18 setup not that 18's ever do if rolled fenders, and i didn't like the way they filled the wheel liner. to borrow an archaic/oft overused term? i found them to be "blingy" lol but it's so long ago, i can't even recall the sizes i ran.

i suppose all in all, my most favorable driving as well as flat handling/stance/looks have all been achieved with 18's in a cpl different sizes, both with spacers and without. lastly, i'm confident the optimal geometry of the car as built and intended favors the use of 18" wheels. but folks gotta do what makes them and their car happy.

cheers.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Drmiller
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
the OP mentioned he got a set of HRE's with the car which are really fine wheels. My feeling is that he might really enjoy those on the street. Tire size, tire condition, age and alignment are the likely cause of the tire noise issue, and the feeling that he has that there is not enough rubber under the car.
OP, refer to this. What tires are you running, and what is the age and condition of those tires?

You can't go wrong with OEM twists or HRE's, both are quality wheels. It comes down to which you prefer the style of, properly dialing in your car to suit that set, as well as ensuring you're on proper rubber. The rest of the nonsense you can ignore.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The biggest issue I run into with 19" sizing on the 996 is the near impossible availability of good tires. 235/315 is the best combo, and aside from the Toyo T1R, the Michelins are the only other tire out there. The ride quality and noise vs. the price of keeping good rubber on the car nixes 19's for many.

..but BOY do they look better!

Quick Reply: 18" or 19" wheels?