Sponsored by:

Engine Installation Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Installation Tips?

Hey guys...my replacement engine came in today. I ended up going with an '03 x50 engine with 45K miles. It has all the accessories and turbos still attached. Does anyone have any tips for removal and replacement? Also, this engine was from a tiptronic. Someone mentioned that I may need to use the wiring harness from my 6 speed manual. Can anyone confirm this for me? Here are some photos of the engine after I got it uncrated.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** me, you are my fave person here, you do not mess around.. I would PM Kevin UMW or my man TIM941NYC

Good luck, love your gusto
Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

The harness should work, you just will need to add the crankshaft DME position sensor. The connector is located on the cam housing, cylinder 3..

A nice thing about this engine is, it's ready for a GT2/GT3 slave conversion. You don't have the hydraulic slave assist.

FYI, the engine looks nice and clean. I'd spend the time and weld or pin the coolant fittings. Now is the perfect time.

Try and find the engine service manual on PDF.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Thanks Kevin and Tuxiemama....I had the coolant fittings welded on the old engine so will use those. I have the service manual on PDF. Is there a separate one for just engine? I already ordered a new coolant tank as mine was very yellow and brittle. What is the advantage of the GT2 slave? Doing a search now on that.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Ok...the engine is out. It was not hard, just tedious. Here are some observations. The fabspeed exhaust was full of oil coming from the left side turbo. There was a quart or more on the trailer and another quart or more gushed out when I removed it. The Oil tank had oil in it, but the crankcase was full of an oil/antifreeze mix! I removed chunks of what appear to be piston from the crankcase through the drain plug hole. The exhaust has a hole where it rusted through. You can see it on the front of the engine.

The intake was full of metal shavings.

Separating the transmission took entirely too long!!! It was not obvious to me that there was a plastic cover over the threads in the pivot rod. I spent 2-3 hours trying to figure it out. Apparently, the cover is supposed to be loose once the plate that holds it in place is removed. This was not the case for mine. It was stuck firm and no amount of tugging, pulling or prying would budge it! I finally ended up drilling a sheet metal screw into it and popping it out, but that was in final desperation. This is something worth knowing for the next guy!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Man you are deep into it. So how much total time did you have into it from start to roll out from underneath? Did you have to get anybody to help you at any point? Thanks for the pics.

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red
Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am impressed
dropping an engine with the car on jack stands adds a significant "difficult" factor - think gymnastics where the final score is a product of execution x difficulty
Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 AM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to swap out your power steering pump? I think the tip and the manual are different, since the manual has the "power assisted" clutch system. Good for you for doing the work yourself. Thank you for posting pics. This thread is a keeper. Ahh! I see, you have the pump separated before you removed the engine. Again, thanks for posting
Old 07-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Byron in MS
Instructor

It took about 10 hours to get the engine out with assistance from my buddy, who is pretty skilled. He let me do all the dirty stuff! We went pretty slow and read and re-read the instructions on each step. I was considering the GT2 clutch upgrade, but frankly, I am broke!!! Going to try to get it running with minimum $$$.

Quick Reply: Engine Installation Tips?