996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins road and track coilovers?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Sourcerock
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

996twins, what's thre street ride like with the 800/1000 springs ?

I have the V3's, excellent but still a little soft.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM
mldgman
Intermediate

I ended up pulling the trigger on this setup. I will be pairing the stock ohlins springs and the tarrett front and rear camber plates. I get the car back from the mechanic on Tuesday then head to Laguna seca on Thursday! I will let you guys know what's up!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:30 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

mldgman,

Looking forward to your impressions with this Ohlins! I still haven't yet pulled the trigger.

Mike
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

You guys are all jerks.

I couldn't wait for your replies so I went to the Ohlins dealer here and put a deposit on a set.

Grrr!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set for sale. Valved for heavier springs by ohlins usa. Actually the gt3 set which allows lower ride height as well and comes with a new set of spindle drop link adapters for the rear.

$2400
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

^
That's a pretty decent deal for anyone looking for this setup! Too bad (or maybe I'm glad?) that I don't have a TT.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

I will give a review next week as I am getting my car back with the full RWD conversion and Ohlins DFV GT3 set up and full GT3 alignment done by Tim941NYC here on Long Island NY.

BTW if anyone wants the best work at the best value in tristate see Tim... he has built several 1000+ whp cars including his own below. He does not waste time finding problems because he knows what they are when you tell him the symptoms

Tim Siatchitano
Callahan Motor Works
24 Werman Court, Plainview NY 11803
T 516 586 5550

Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Tim knows his sh*t
Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 AM
mldgman
Intermediate

OK! In short, I agree with the above posts that if you are running this setup on the track, you will need stiffer springs... however, this out of the box setup provides me with exactly what I am looking for, a good "road and track" suspension system for my car. I use the car for not only DE, but weekend fun around town as well.
I had these coilovers installed with the tarrett camber plates (just wanted more rubber out of the equation) front and rear as well as solid rear subframe mounts, and already had front and rear sways, adj drop links, etc... on the car.
Let me first start with the drive to the track: The mechanic had the damping setup exactly in the middle, 13 of 26 I believe. (props to Joe at TCDesign who did a great job with the install and the pre and proceeding customer service, norcal guys...look no further!) Drive was great and we took a rather windy highway to the track (hwy 17) and I was getting super pumped about the upcoming weekend.
At the track: After my first session and learning a new track which I hadn't previously had experience with, I determined that I had a bit too much body roll and wanted to stiffen up the dampening a bit. The front adjustment mechanism is under the shock and can be adjusted at will which I did and tightened to 5 clicks under full stiff. The rear are on top of the shock which I did not have the tools to get into the rear subwoofer to remove, so I just left it at mid range. This setup tended to induce a bit of oversteer, but was essentially a bandaid to the weak spring rate given to the stock setup. In the future I will stiffen up the rear and fronts before going to the track.
All said, I believe that this setup is superior to the pss10 that I think Ohlins is going after with this kit, although I do not have experience with the bilstein setup. So take my opinion as just that, an opinion that I bet on with my $$$. The reason I went with this kit is all the others on this forum stating that Bilstein is too soft for the track and upon a rookie exam, I went with these because they did not have the 2 stage soft springs like the bilsteins as well as the reputation of Ohlins as a high end suspension manufacturer.
I believe this system is adequate for my driving level as well as having the adjustability to be softer for taking my wife out for a date, but the ability to stiffen things up for the DE day of chasing the stereotypical silicon valley ferrari around the track!
In conclusion: Get this setup, but pay a bit more for the stiffer springs and valving!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

mldgman,

Thanks for the review. Much appreciated!

Mike
Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 AM
mldgman
Intermediate

I think you should buy a stiffer set of springs before you install, perhaps the max stiffness before revalving is required.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Picked up the car with the Ohlins DFV suspension and full RWD conversion

The word I used before for AWD TTS was planted, fat and steady

The word I use for RWD (GT2) is flighty, fast and oversteering... I love it

I took the TTS for a quick 80 mile jaunt around some windy roads and a few unmonitored fast straights... the new clutch is GREAT, I put the car in 3rd at 30 mph and floored it and it zoomed to 95 mph way under the redline... I held it there for a few seconds and jammed it into 4th and zoomed to 130 and quickly braked.

I will do a vbox test when I am 100% certain there are no cops.

The car is certainly more involving now especially around bends....

I did some nice oversteer drifts in 2nd and 3rd around some unoccupied roads and got a nice slide going

The Ohlins DFV seems to be quite good on 1st impressions especially on the terrible Long Island Expressway + bumpy Hwy 27.... its a much nicer ride then before. On the stock suspension the bumps were hard and noticeable, now they are softer and more absorbed into the chassis.

I will post more when I get a chance

Giggity

Tim even washed my car as I came to pick her up.

Last edited by Tuxiemama; 06-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:20 AM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
Picked up the car with the Ohlins DFV suspension and full RWD conversion

The word I used before for AWD TTS was planted, fat and steady

The word I use for RWD (GT2) is flighty, fast and oversteering... I love it

I took the TTS for a quick 80 mile jaunt around some windy roads and a few unmonitored fast straights... the new clutch is GREAT, I put the car in 3rd at 30 mph and floored it and it zoomed to 95 mph way under the redline... I held it there for a few seconds and jammed it into 4th and zoomed to 130 and quickly braked.

I will do a vbox test when I am 100% certain there are no cops.

The car is certainly more involving now especially around bends....

I did some nice oversteer drifts in 2nd and 3rd around some unoccupied roads and got a nice slide going

The Ohlins DFV seems to be quite good on 1st impressions especially on the terrible Long Island Expressway + bumpy Hwy 27.... its a much nicer ride then before. On the stock suspension the bumps were hard and noticeable, now they are softer and more absorbed into the chassis.

I will post more when I get a chance

Giggity

Tim even washed my car as I came to pick her up.

Nice! Looking forward to hearing more about the Ohlins, I'm on the fence re: which brand to go with. How's it in the corners compared to before?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSCOFF
Nice! Looking forward to hearing more about the Ohlins, I'm on the fence re: which brand to go with. How's it in the corners compared to before?
I really love the RWD.... have never been a fan of AWD... yeah I know I am stupid for buying an AWD but I like the car and wanted a boosted car from stock.

Ohlins DFV is really surprisingly good. The car corners very quickly with great confidence and holds the disgusting bumps on the NY highways like the LIE and Highway 27 which are both worthy of 3rd world status, bumpy, dredged, lined pieces of crud they are.

I do have the Potenza tires which are about 5 yrs old (no tread wear as the last owner drove only 4k miles in 5 yrs) but I got skiddy at 130 mph yesterday and pooped myself almost. I will add the Mich PSS Cup at some stage I think.

The Ohlins lets me corner very hard.... I am aggressive and like to see what limits my cars can reach... I can easily do some nice oversteer drifts gently at speed on the unoccupied housing estate road near my house.

I need to add 7/15mm spacers but even without them the car is a pleasure to drive.... much better than the Porker stock suspension.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
mldgman
Intermediate

Tuxie,
What stiffness settings are you running front and rear? And for what type of driving? DE, canyon carve, cruising, etc...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohlins road and track coilovers?