Sponsored by:

996TT values

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
But it will not look good either way when the top is up/on.
Whatever. I like it.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked out the turbos in Atlanta, well actually saw the first one and was hooked. Got an 04 cab 6 speed and 57K miles in pristine condition for $40K. Here are a couple of pictures. Not sure where this puts values as it likely depends on which part of the country you're in.
Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great, good deal
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ck986
Looks great, good deal
Thanks. I hope the car lives up to its claims. I'm excited to start driving it. I left it in Atlanta since our vacation home is in NC we had snow last night so I didn't want to drive it up here in that kind of environment. I'll pick it up on our way down back to Florida. I hope everyone else gets their dream fulfilled too. I figure I'm very fortunate to have what I have. Great way to start the new year.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I think I may be the Market Maker in the last year or so. I paid 55 for a 17k mile X50 with a buncha leather, Artic over the premium Natural Grey (which is really just black.) Sunroof delete. This was exactly the car I wanted (except it had crappy 19" wheels that I replaced.) Had H&R coilovers, headers and exhaust, and SSK, but motor was unmolested. Runs strong, looks perfect in and out. Private party ask was 57, we haggled a week, and 55 was the best I could do. MSRP was 149k.

I don't regret it for one moment. It's exactly the car I wanted. If you want a no-sunroof X50 in a particular color in and out, with premium leather but no wood, and under 25,000 miles, and no NAV screen, when you find the car you don't worry too much over price.

I also second the opinion that prices have stabilised over the last 12 months. There will always be a delta between 996TT and 997.1TT. But Mezger M64 engine is desireable. The farther we get from that being available on any Porsche Turbos, the more interest there will be in it, just like happened with the aircooled cars.

I think the time will come fairly soon where 7.1TT prices eclipse 7.2TT prices, once both are just older used cars (7.2s are still new enough to be of interest as newish cars to the general population, who have no knowledge of the type motor each version has. But that will change rapidly as the 991s flood the streets and all 997s start to look dated. When the 7.1TT stops sliding the downward pressure on 6TT prices will go away completely. Currently, that delta is 20,000 dollars. That's too much for a set of headlights. I think it will stabilize at closer to a $10,000 delta between 6TT and 7.1TT.

So there is room for 7.1TTs to still slide another 10k before stabilizing and then starting to run up slowly, without 6TTs going down any further. Of course, any individual car that is being used up will go down, but I mean cars of a particular description, like 30,000 mile X50s today are as cheap as 30,000 mile X50s are going to get.

Look to the history of 964T vs 993TT pricing for a perfect analog of the future of 996TT vs 997TT prices.

Cheers!
Everything you said is right on the money.
Also...
You got a great car at a great price and sunroof delete, wow!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Edinsf
Everything you said is right on the money.
Also...
You got a great car at a great price and sunroof delete, wow!
Why thank you!

Sunroof delete was on my "ain't gonna happen but dream big" list. I would have gladly bought the same car with a SR, but when it turned out to not have one (you couldn't tell in any of the photos and no mention in the ad), I was hooked.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Car looks very nice congrats. As far as I can tell prices in Florida seem to be lower on sports cars and a larger inventory also. As with California I'm sure the nice weather is a big part of that.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Melb - you scored a great deal - congrats!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Thanks for the kind words. I can understand how a Cab can be valued differently in the northern climates, and also how possibly in big cities where crime is a bigger issue, the thought of having a canvas roof can be problematic. Four of my cars are convertibles and although I don't drop the top in the summer in Florida due to my bald head getting sunburned, Spring and Fall are good times to roll around with a little wind blowing in the cabin.

If I was up north and snow, ice and crime were an issue, I'd definitely go after a coupe. Also, keep in mind that the cars I own are weekend toys and are kept in an enclosed building with a monitored security alarm. When its nasty I'm in my F-150 or the Tahoe.

As part of the original thread, I still don't know for sure if the values of the 996TT is below or above the $50K. I thought year was important but apparently most of you say it's all about the miles on the car as well as condition. I really don't know since I'm so new to the Porsche scene. I found the thread interesting, as well as the posts explaining the various thoughts. You are all very knowledgeable on these cars so I'm learning a lot from this. Also thanks to all of you for being patient with my ignorance.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
If I was up north and snow, ice and crime were an issue, I'd definitely go after a coupe. Also, keep in mind that the cars I own are weekend toys and are kept in an enclosed building with a monitored security alarm. When its nasty I'm in my F-150 or the Tahoe.
Nice find on the cab. Good deal for $40K.

Living in NJ I did the opposite and went for the cab. Most people up here would go that way unless they are tracking it or running it year round as a daily. I love it from spring to fall and everything in between. I don't drive it Dec-Feb or if there is any salt on the road. With the windscreen its drivable in anything above 50 degrees and awesome in the Fall here. In NJ/NY/CT cab prices can fluctuate - high in spring and lower in winter. Both my p-car cabs were bought in December. I have 2 SUVs and convertible BMW (hardtop) for winter.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 AM
LLTurbo
Advanced

For reference, I paid $45,500, for my '03 TT with 36,500 miles on it. Bought it from second owner who had all of the records. It needed tires but otherwise was in great shape.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts
Default my new 2003

Just got mine in Oregon last week for $44.5. Two owner car 54K miles but on the PPI everything checked out no overrevs, no codes. Plus with the sport seats which I see go for a hefty price was well worth it. Plus had been all service records going back to 2008. Have to get new rear tires otherwise everything is up to date for service. Besides if one finds the car they want what's a few thousand if the car is well maintained. Life is short get what you want when you want it!
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Nimrodical
Advanced

I just bought one!!!! I'm so stoked. I got a 2002 Turbo Coupe with the X50, full leather interior and Tip for 41K. I got the tip cause I'm 49 years old and have an arthritic back, my clutch leg doesn't work so good anymore. She has 36,000 miles on her and she's gorgeous!

PPI came back clean except for the drivers window doesn't do the little dip thing when you shut the door. That's an easy fix.

Silver exterior with chrome twist and I guess it's some kinda blue/silver interior. I wished the interior was black but she's still a hottie!

Sticker price was 139K

I don't take delivery until Monday and it's killing me!!!!!!

Holy cow someone pinch me!!!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 PM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ pinch! Congrats!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

^^^^^another pinch! Congrats!

Quick Reply: 996TT values