Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awesome Cup Car Style Air Dam Group Buy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Awesome Cup Car Style Air Dam Group Buy.

Hey Rennlisters,
I spoke to Joe whom did "splitters" for the 996 GT3 crowd, which can be found here ( https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...er-design.html ) and here ( https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ve-planes.html ). Long story short, i want a proper air dam made for my car to work in conjunction with my carbon fiber splitter. As you can see i made a junkie one here ( http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps73a747b7.jpg ) that is used for the track. I want something very nice so it is presentable and not only used at the track. Joe said he can make it look beautiful sub $500. It all depends on how many people we get signed up. Higher quantity of people, price goes down. Here is an example of what he would be making for our cars. This is for a Cayman. Once we get more then 10 people he will start the process.

GB List, please add yourself to the list if you are interested.
1) F1crazydriver x 2
2) HeavyChevy ? ( still interested ? )
Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

i want a proper air dam made for my car to work in conjunction with my carbon fiber splitter
Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "proper"?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I am in

I am in, and excited for it. This would be such a good step forward for 996TT owners!

I have been looking for exactly this kind of thing and have found zero good options. I saw enrique's (F1crazydriver) on Larry's (landjet) car and thought it was functional, but not appealing.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The picture in F1crazydriver's post is the new 2014 Cayman piece I just developed and finished.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe731
I am in, and excited for it. This would be such a good step forward for 996TT owners!

I have been looking for exactly this kind of thing and have found zero good options. I saw enrique's (F1crazydriver) on Larry's (landjet) car and thought it was functional, but not appealing.
It will bolt onto the splitter i have already design.. or at least that is the plan. That they work together. a 2 pc splitter. A nice air dam, then connects to my splitter, if your heart desires. If it dosent, no need. That said, i suspect, most of the people that have bought my splitter would really like this... it will work great im sure.

Here's an idea of what the profile with the air dam/ splitter i think will look like but we will see what Joe does!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s6407389e.jpeg
Old 08-09-2013, 02:02 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i going to guess the answer is no but would the cayman style splitter pictured be designed for tt front bumper only or would it fit a gt2 style bumper as well?

if it looks like the cayman pictured splitter and fits as well count me in
Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Not sure what the end product would look like other than GOOD to match the car. No I wouldn't take the Cayman and redesign, this would be entirely new. Yes the fit would be as good as the Cayman piece. I take great care in having all my parts fit the vehicle well.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:01 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd want to see the design first, but am interested in livening up the nose of the car.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Forgive my ignorance. Without wind tunnel (or extensive road) testing, how can you be certain that the design will be a benefit (and not a detriment) to the aerodynamics?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

that seems an entirely fair question.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Based on my other products I have yet to build a piece which has not improved front downforce. Check out the GT 3 forum on my splitter and also a write HP on a test in Texas by a. cup car (separate thread). It will help front downforce.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Joe731
Racer

Default Enrique

OK, so now I am a little confused. Enrique, you put the call out for someone to do a better looking splitter than your track functional/not pretty splitter, and I thought Joe was answering that call with a better looking functional splitter.

Why would we need to use both? Isn't Joe's stand alone GT3 splitter what the GT3 guys are raving about for good looking track use? Do they use your splitter or someone elses in conjunction with Joe's? Honestly, I thought Joe's was a replacement for yours not an add-on.

Help me understand why we would need both? And if we use yours in addition to Joe's will we see yours like I have on Land Jet's car?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe731
OK, so now I am a little confused. Enrique, you put the call out for someone to do a better looking splitter than your track functional/not pretty splitter, and I thought Joe was answering that call with a better looking functional splitter.

Why would we need to use both? Isn't Joe's stand alone GT3 splitter what the GT3 guys are raving about for good looking track use? Do they use your splitter or someone elses in conjunction with Joe's? Honestly, I thought Joe's was a replacement for yours not an add-on.

Help me understand why we would need both? And if we use yours in addition to Joe's will we see yours like I have on Land Jet's car?
Joe let me clarify. I approached Joe to make me a front spoiler i.e. air dam. He said he would love to make me one but needs at least 10pp commited unless i want to fork out close to 8k for a mold myself. I want an air dam, that will work in conjunction with my splitter.

Theirs two different components. An Air dam and a splitter. You can buy Joe's air dam, and your fine. No need to purchase my splitter ( I actually only have 1 left and its already reserved) ..the splitter just ad's more downforce. You will net a higher gain with a splitter and a air dam like the RSR race cars's. The point of this thread is the air dam not a splitter.

All I'm saying is people whom have bought my splitter, i'm working with Joe that my splitter, and my customers whom purchased my splitter, that they will work like a RSR front air dam ( that Joe is making and im sure it will be sexy) + splitter. No need for a splitter if you dont want it.

Here is a clear picture of a GT racing car.

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-conte...Desktop-08.jpg
Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Joe731
Racer

Default Got it

Ok, thanks enrique. I am still in. Aero is the next frontier for my car.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Th Dude
Without wind tunnel (or extensive road) testing, how can you be certain that the design will be a benefit (and not a detriment) to the aerodynamics?
Great question.

Quick Reply: Awesome Cup Car Style Air Dam Group Buy.