Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been thinking about this one and need some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 AM
texredr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been thinking about this one and need some opinions...

I have been looking for a while, actually a long while, read this forum regularly and post occasionally. Believe it, or not, I have been looking for a Speed Yellow or Guards Red one (yes, "look at me colors"). I know this place is not short on opinions and I would appreciate yours on this one. Fire away, you won't hurt my feelings

http://www.elitemotorsports.com/2001...-78726/4610981
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I wonder what they put on the leather dash and leather door panels to make them so glossy (I'm personally not a fan of the glossy look)?

I'm also not a fan of the shiny wheels.

All just personal opinion stuff.

My opinion about the rest of the car would depend on the outcome of a test drive and Porsche inspection.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a good lookin' car. Can't speak to the price though.

Looks like it's been lowered already, so investigate what other mods have been done also. Get a PPI either at a dealership, or from someone with tools to read the car's DME and get the engine's range 1 (bouncing off rev limiter/redline) and range 2 (over-rev by forcing downshift) rev history.

Fresh on my mind, 'cause it just happened to me, look into whether the car's coolant lines have been welded or otherwise better fixed to the manifold. If not, there is the real risk of having them detach and drain your coolant, risking massive damage and cost.

What else what else... just do your homework. Tons of knowledge in here and other forums.

I'm partial to yellow, myself. And red too.

-V
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks very nice other then chrome wheels and as macster pointed out a little heavy on the armor all. Price seems average/low for miles options etc wheels/ painted sport seats . Get a ppi and if it looks good go for it.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Pics look good. Nothing scary. Well save for those wheels. J/K. While I am also not a big fan of shiny wheels those are not show stoppers on an otherwise good car (if the car with further investigation proves to be a good car).

I like the color. I like the PCCBs. And best of all of course it is a Turbo.

A google search using the VIN turned up only two hits and one is at the selling dealer. The other at vincarhistory.com in a list of about a zillion other VINs.

I think it is time you went and looked at the car. You know what I advise. Go kick the tires and light the fires. Get a thorough test ride and then a test drive. Follow this up with a used car check out and then a PPI.

Can't help you with the price other than obviously if the car is offered for sale almost invariably the asking price is well, optimistic. But by how much? I can't say.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about about the PCCB's, Macster. I see yellow calipers, but it looks like steel rotors, no?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM
texredr
Advanced

Agreed on the wheels. That's the one piece of bling that I might have to change. Although I haven reading for a while, not sure what PCCB is. Can you please enlighten me?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM
petonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Th Dude
Not sure about about the PCCB's, Macster. I see yellow calipers, but it looks like steel rotors, no?
My PCCB rotors look like steel as well. I'm not sure how they look with 0 miles on them, but it's tough for this rookie to tell the difference just by looking at them with the wheels on.

I'm sure I'll be able to feel the difference if/when it becomes time to replace them :-).

BTW, for the other poster, PCCB stands for Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes, or something like that. Insanely expensive rotors and pads that are a) lighter, b) longer lasting, c) will get fried in a day during a track session.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The price is a little low, u need to do a deep dive to find out why. It could be a salvaged tittle, accident etc!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:53 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by petonic
My PCCB rotors look like steel as well. I'm not sure how they look with 0 miles on them, but it's tough for this rookie to tell the difference just by looking at them with the wheels on.

I'm sure I'll be able to feel the difference if/when it becomes time to replace them :-).

BTW, for the other poster, PCCB stands for Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes, or something like that. Insanely expensive rotors and pads that are a) lighter, b) longer lasting, c) will get fried in a day during a track session.
Did you mean won't get fried?

tino
Old 08-02-2013, 06:17 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
The price is a little low, u need to do a deep dive to find out why. It could be a salvaged tittle, accident etc!
This one makes me very cautious...lack of VIN history in google is a red flag. Have you run carfax AND autocheck?

Absolute MUST ppi...
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Saw the yellow calipers but didn't look at the rotors all that closely. The OP will have to check the brakes to verify PCCB or iron.

To me PCCB would be a plus provided they are in very good shape.

Added: I looked again this time "closer" and the rotors look like PCCB but as I mentioned above the OP will have to verify the rotor material type to be sure.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM
texredr
Advanced

The guy is sending me the carfax and says it has a clean 3 owner history. I understand that the ppi is a must and he had no trouble with that. Said car did have paint work on one rear quarter panel, but it was surface stuff and good work was done. He is getting service records from prior owner who is a client of his and traded it in on a Lexus (wanted something more practical).
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aftermarket side skirts and exhaust tips
Smoked front side markers
BMC or K&N air filter
Not sure on the front calipers are the standard 4 pot painted yellow or 6 pot for PCCBs
Rotors look OEM iron
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 PM
texredr
Advanced

OK. Another question. After looking at it more carefully, not sure how much I like the lowered suspension. Does anyone know if the H&R suspensions are adjustable? I can live with it (and the wheels I suppose), but just want to know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Been thinking about this one and need some opinions...