Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been thinking about this one and need some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure as low as it is they are coil overs so they can be adjusted.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Wheels have to go. Those brakes don't look PCCB. I have them on mine. The rotors look steel. Probably just wanted yellow painted calipers to match the exterior would be my guess. For age and mileage price seems reasonable. Doesn't seem like a flag. Clearly the owner likes mods so that can drag price down.

As for the suspension looks good. If you go to 18 inch wheels would look different. I think those rims give it a little bit of slammed look..

Agree with Doc on not using armor all look on leather. That can be fixed. Just a bad detail.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That car is to cheap! Red flag You need to run the carfax, they can give you anything! BTW Carfax has been known at times not to catch things! It all depends on if the insurance company has handled the claims correctly!
Hope its not a NJ or NY car, cars are coming out of the states hit by Sandy and have clean carfaxs and titles, yet they are fllood cars!
They are finding these cars from west coast to east coast.
Another question is how long has it been on the market!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 AM
texredr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
That car is to cheap! Red flag You need to run the carfax, they can give you anything! BTW Carfax has been known at times not to catch things! It all depends on if the insurance company has handled the claims correctly!
Hope its not a NJ or NY car, cars are coming out of the states hit by Sandy and have clean carfaxs and titles, yet they are fllood cars!
They are finding these cars from west coast to east coast.
Another question is how long has it been on the market!
Nope, car has been in Austin for several years and was in Oregon and Florida for a while. Not really too worried about Carfax because if I pursue it, I will make sure to have a solid PPI done.

Regarding the wheels, yes, they are a bit much for me, but I might be able to handle them for awhile. Might even consider having them plastidipped. Also like the idea going with the 18s. Maybe just go back to the traditional turbo twists.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 AM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Wheels have to go. Those brakes don't look PCCB. I have them on mine. The rotors look steel. Probably just wanted yellow painted calipers to match the exterior would be my guess. For age and mileage price seems reasonable. Doesn't seem like a flag. Clearly the owner likes mods so that can drag price down.

As for the suspension looks good. If you go to 18 inch wheels would look different. I think those rims give it a little bit of slammed look..

Agree with Doc on not using armor all look on leather. That can be fixed. Just a bad detail.
Genuine PCCB calipers are NOT speed yellow, but lighter. The ones on this car ARE speed yellow so I think he's right. Normal brakes with calipers painted to match. If the car DID have PCCB, I highly doubt an owner would want to molest those calipers and change the color no matter how slightly.

Originally Posted by texredr
Nope, car has been in Austin for several years and was in Oregon and Florida for a while. Not really too worried about Carfax because if I pursue it, I will make sure to have a solid PPI done.

Regarding the wheels, yes, they are a bit much for me, but I might be able to handle them for awhile. Might even consider having them plastidipped. Also like the idea going with the 18s. Maybe just go back to the traditional turbo twists.
It's a gorgeous car and all, but don't be so quick to dismiss the carfax or other detailed history report. A PPI will tell you about what the car is as it sits in the shop, but the history could tell you something a PPI won't. Service records are also worth their weight in gold. Please trust me on that. I purchased a 996 Turbo Cab (Speed Yellow also!) in Feb and just this past weekend my coolant lines blew. Thank God I caught it within 500 ft. That's a multi-thousand dollar repair my friend. Coulda needed a new engine if I didn't spot it. Hopefully the NHTSA compels the recall and I'll get reimbursed, but having full service records would have clued me in to the fact this wasn't done previously.

Also, I would absolutely meter the paint and check for body work and repainting on every panel. Mine checked out perfect.

Good luck,
-V
Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why are you so against doing your own carfax?? If there is a red flag it will keep you from doing a PPI. BTW just a short time ago someone on here talked about having a PPI done, it did not catch the accident damge . He found out later on it had major accident work done.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Are there upgraded coolant lines available now? What is the cost to repair the blown lines assuming no damage?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

After a 3rd look agree the calipers look like they are speed yellow painted to match the car's color. I note some interior pieces are speed yellow too.

So the brakes are iron, not PCCB.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Get a CarFax. Small price to pay for learning more about the car. While not infallible it does give you a bit more info about the car.

Call dealers in the areas where the car was and with the car's VIN ask about what servicing the car had. Avoid asking about previous owners but instead focus on the car.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
I purchased a 996 Turbo Cab (Speed Yellow also!) in Feb and just this past weekend my coolant lines blew. Thank God I caught it within 500 ft. That's a multi-thousand dollar repair my friend. Coulda needed a new engine if I didn't spot it.
What are you suggesting he do, either not buy the car if the coolant lines are OEM, or demand they drop the price of the car the amount it will cost to pin/weld the coolant lines?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:47 PM
texredr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not against doing the Carfax, but I believe the dealer has already done one and he will be sending it to me. All I'm saying that it seems to me that a ppi will probably give me a better idea of whether I want to buy this one or not. I actually have a buddy in that area who is going to go by and look at it for me. He's a car guy and owns a bunch of different ones, including a mid eighties turbo. Don't worry, I will proceed slowly and deliberately. If it sells, prior to completion of my due diligence, it just wasn't the one for me.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Are there upgraded coolant lines available now? What is the cost to repair the blown lines assuming no damage?
Assuming no damage, the costs are a few thousand dollars minimum from what I've read - having not yet gotten to the part where I pay the bill, myself.

Originally Posted by Dock
What are you suggesting he do, either not buy the car if the coolant lines are OEM, or demand they drop the price of the car the amount it will cost to pin/weld the coolant lines?
Fair question, thanks. I suggest that the OP research the issue on the forums and the NHTSA website using PE13009 as the search term. Print out the findings and present them to the seller. This failure is a matter of WHEN, not if. All adhesive will eventually fail. OP must then decide if the price to get into the car is worth the risk of waiting for a POSSIBLE Porsche recall, or potentially having to shell out the money himself. Otherwise, he should ask the seller to lower the price by a few grand. Seller may decline and opt await a less-educated consumer.

Originally Posted by texredr
...Don't worry, I will proceed slowly and deliberately. If it sells, prior to completion of my due diligence, it just wasn't the one for me.
Stick with that, it's the right attitude. The right car for the right money is out there for you. Maybe this is it, maybe not.

-V
Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This failure is a matter of WHEN, not if.
Source?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by Dock
Source?
The ravages of time?

It's adheeeeeesive, man. It's gonna eventually wear out.
-V
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The ravages of time?

It's adheeeeeesive, man. It's gonna eventually wear out.
-V
Really?

"...cure to form permanent (irreversible) chemical bonds."

See here ---> http://www.rsindustrial.com/epoxies.html

Quick Reply: Been thinking about this one and need some opinions...