Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help on pre-purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM
turbo4 me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the shop comment about how hard the car pulled (or didn't pull)?

Did they run a DME report for Type I and Type II overrevs? Theoretically it shouldn't have any Type II's but I have heard of Tips having them. This report gives you some vague idea of how hard the car has been driven.

The cracked motor mounts and the transmission leak would really concern me.

You really should drive another one just to get an idea of how quick these cars are. When you nail the throttle there should be no wheelspin and the feeling that somebody shoved you hard in the back.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 PM
dragon919
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did forget to ask about the computer scan. Maybe I distracted him with all of my questions. I'll ask tomorrow. I'm going to find out about the leak and ask for costs of the mounts as well.

I have driven a 2002 TT stick and also a 2007 TT (I know it's a 997) stick so I have a better understanding of the turbo kick. I think I just never floored the pedal in this car.

Sounds like I have to wait for further investigation of the above before making a decision...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

a 124k mile tip w/ a leaking transmission? my advice? unless it's under 30k and you like to fix a lot of stuff. walk away.

there are lots of cars esp in SoCal and most should have *most* everything working. GL! they are great cars.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
dragon919
Track Day

It's way under $30k and that's the only reason I'm considering another $2k would still be a good value here.

Anyone have experience with Fidelity for warranty on this car? Thanks for all the advice. Exciting and nerve racking as well...
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

124k miles Ouch
Second on Callas Rennsport. They do all my work. Tony and Tom are the best.
Sounds like you need to be patience in your shopping process.
Take your time.
Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a huge headache/money pit to me= your better off to pay more up front its cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon919
It's way under $30k and that's the only reason I'm considering another $2k would still be a good value here.

then you're possibly ok? the list of items read to me as if the ( at least ) last owner was somewhat neglectful of the car. presumably a daily driver. for reference, my current tt is at 106k miles.. and EVERYthing works as it should, and its faster than a stung mule. nothing is leaking is my point, and shouldn't. ( scratch that.. rms has a seep ugh ) but thats next lol

i have always been a bit dubious about tips, but less so about making the wife happy, so i'll understand if you more forward on this particular car. under 30k? a strong possible then. GL!

i have heard fidelity is the best aftermarket warranty, but that is hearsay.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon919
I wasn't looking at the console while driving -- just trying to make sure everything was safe on the road. I also didn't ask the seller to drive me since it seemed like he was busy. I was able to ask the shop to look into this specifically. I got the preliminary results from the PPI and listed them below. I've asked for further inspection of the oil leak and for costs of the items that I've "*"/starred below. Any of the below seem like a red flag to anyone, or just normal wear & tear items for a 124k miles car?

- sunroof sticking
* front tires were made in 2008 so should be changed; good tread
* rear tires are worn out
- front brake pads 7mm left = good
- rear brake pads 4 mm left = 2-6 months left
* 1 transmission mount is cracked
* 2 engine mounts are cracked
*** oil leak from transmission getting on water hoses & could eat away at the water hoses (needs to inspect further)
- light oil on front differential
* left tie rod boot is broken so should replace both rear sides & then do alignment (will get quote on this)
- plastic undercar panel is cracked
Best get a quote for the sunroof sticking problem.

Four new tires. Alignment. Get ready to pay. Roughly you are looking at $2K. (N-rated tires. I never use anything else.)

I can't help you with brakes. My Turbo is on its original brakes and I've never had to do them.

Any fluid leak with a Tip is bad news. (My 6-speed leaked from a selector shaft. Under CPO warranty the transmission was replaced. The tech told me it could have been fixed for around $5K.) My advice is get a quote on a full Tip rebuild from a reputable transmission shop. Ask the dealer for a recommendation. Also, while you are there get a quote for a replacement Tip in case the existing Tip can't be rebuilt. There is at least one failure that renders the Tip non-rebuildable. Something to do with a leak coupled with a seized oil pump on a shaft or something like that. Ask the techs. They'll know.

I've never had to deal with engine or tranny mounts in my Turbo. Get a quote. Always, get a quote to use to factor into your offer for the car.

Undercar panels get busted. I just replaced the driver's side rocker panel cover for I forget how much now. But look at the underside of the car without the panels and note all the tubes/lines and then be grateful the plastic is there to take the blows instead.

If (big if) the car is in otherwise good shape it could be the car for you. But do not discount what those issues will cost, could cost, to put right.

Remember: There is always another car.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Walk away.

The "right" one is out there with less issues and concerns.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, for one, if you didn't feel the turbos kick in, there's something wrong. I never drove an automatic, but the first time I had a ride in a turbo, it was quite a revelation! At the time I had a 300hp Lotus elise and boy did that car felt slow compared to the 996tt!

If I were you, I'd try to get a ride in another car. These cars should feel fast unless you drive a high end italian car or Koenigsegg...

Plus that list is quite disturbing. Oil leaks on transmission and diff... could be nothing but could be quite expensive too.

I'd wait for a car that's in better shape.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With that much mileage, it might take an additonal 2K to fix what you posted, but this may just be the start of things to come. The other thing see if it is boosting to .7 - .8 bar on the boost guage. You use the computer selector shaft to get the display.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 AM
dragon919
Track Day

Thanks for the help everyone. The woman is quitting her job so it looks like any purchase will be put on hold. Sucks, but maybe it's a good thing. Who knows, but can't do much but wait and keep reading about all these great cars.
I really hope to be in the market again soon. I'm learning though...

Quick Reply: Need some help on pre-purchase