Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTR Z III for my 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 AM
threesacharm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LexVan,
I checked out the other thread...looked at the tire chart...appreciate it!

993GT,
I agree, I might've considered 315's in the rear if sumi made them (then the f/r tire height ratio would even out from .97 to 1.0, at 25.0" even, just through normal wear.

Carlo_Carrera,
Thanks for weighing in. If I may ask, what brand/model tire did you pass over in favor of the sumi HTR Z III's?

Thanks guys!
threesacharm
Old 05-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind the Sumi HTRs do not have the same load raring for the rear tires as do the Michelin and the Hankook V12 , Both the Hankook and Ps2 have a 98Y idesignation and the HTR's are at 92Y. So the sidewall will probably not be as stiff. Probably a good ride, but also take away from the handling.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:44 AM
threesacharm
Intermediate

Kevinmacd,

Using TireRack's charts, the Sumi's 92Y load rating is 264 lbs less (per tire?) than a tire at 98Y. Wow....that's 528 lbs less max load capacity for the rear end...definitely something to keep in mind...thanks! Have a safe week.

threesacharm
Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thnx - load rating is a good indicator on how stiff the sidewall will be. Hope you had a good weekend!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

I have had these Sumi's on my 996 Turbo for 1 full year. Yes, the set last me an entire year for street use but I do drive them pretty hard. I actually like them better then the Pirelli P Zero's bc of the comfort. Traction is very good, sidewall not quite as stiff but I rather not be banging around the road and rather not pay an extra $700 a set for a wearable item (These are only $516 w rebate for a set at TireRack). These lasted 1 year which stands out the most. The money I save has gone towards other performance initiatives.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

We had a 7-10 inch down pour where I live a week ago and I was cruising 60 mph in some cases 65 and the sumi's did very very well in the standing H20. Better than PS2's and AD08's. They have a deap tread.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 AM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

I picked up a set of these for my new wheels.
My wheels are still in production so I haven't even installed the tires yet, but Ill update at some point.

Typically I run Hankook V12's or Conti DW/DWS but figured I would give these a try since so many people like them.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
threesacharm
Intermediate

sbefar01, tguaturbo,TheInfamousDrew,

Wow! I thought this thread was dead, then you three weighed in...thanks. Today's the day I decide whether or not to buy the sumis...
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Originally Posted by threesacharm

Wow! I thought this thread was dead, then you three weighed in...thanks. Today's the day I decide whether or not to buy the sumis...
They way I saw it was they are only $620 shipped and you get $50 visa back.
If I dont like them, Ill try something else next

Old 11-27-2014, 12:21 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sumitomo HTRZIIIs great for 8 tenths, premature death beyond.

Originally Posted by threesacharm

Did you get them? How are they going for you?

I was a big fan of the Sumitomo HTRZIII for the Turbo as they are cheap, good in the dry and very good in the wet, even on track - and posted as much here on Rennlist before. That said, I won't be buying them again for the Turbo as both my sets have died early, and with only a couple of track days (about 2-4 track hours) and maybe 5-7 thousand road miles each on them. Though I am careful about pressures (I drop about 5 PSI for the first track session, then again once warmed up rather than in one hit - and reinflate for the drive home), with the first lot both rears developed half to one foot long by several inches high bubbles inside the side walls with the tread only half used. I had had one dry spin on them though so gave the Sumis a second chance and bought another set. Again, confidence inspiring on road, good on a wet and a drying track (never ran the second set on a fully dry track) but despite being only two thirds worn, some sections of tread about an inch square have torn loose in chunks from the rears, revealing the cords. The tyre shop thought it might be a manufacturing defect but I'm inclined to think that they are just insufficiently durable when pushed hard on a Turbo (such as track laps about 2 to 4 seconds slower per minute than club racers on R-comps). I still consider them great tyres for normal road driving and those only doing 7 or 8 tenths at DEs but they're permanently off my Porsche radar now as I'd rather not push my luck to the point of a blow out. YMMV of course - plenty of people wear them right out without drama but are probably not working them as hard.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sumi were great on my C2.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:48 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I got Sumi's on an SUV, and although it is much different car, I did not like that the Sumis were much noisier than my Continentals, Michelins, or Hankooks. The worst aspect, is that on smooth asphault while turning despite going less than 10 mph, they would squeal like I just gunned it. Not cool when it makes people think you are mad or showing off. Dry traction felt worse on Sumis with a constant side to side shimmy
Old 12-13-2014, 03:42 PM
threesacharm
Intermediate

Nope I still haven't replaced my Pirelli p zero Asimmetrico's even after a year and a half after asking the original question about the Sumis. The HTR ZIIIs are still my first choice! I'm glad to be back on RL

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR Z III for my 996 Turbo?