Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo engine access denied! Can't ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Turbo engine access denied! Can't ...

open my car's engine lid. The switch by the driver's door doesn't work and there's no "click" from the engine compartment lid and of course the lid is locked down tight. The switch for the front trunk lid works just fine as does the button on the key fob.

Called the SM at the dealer and he said bring the car by Monday. Since I'll be in the area Monday that works for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

when you get it fixed remove the drivers tailight. theres a remote cable under it . route it below the bumper so you wont have to travel to the dealer for this agaiin
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Got an update...

The Tech opened rear lid with plastic wedge and and a long pick with a hook on the end. The cable was a bit further to the left than he was used to but other than that the process took just seconds.

When the switch is operated there is no noise coming from the latch area and the wiring looks good, no loose parts, so the latch motor is on order.

Should be here Tuesday hopefully before 10am. My schedule is such that I can't get the car in before Thursday though.

However, with the lid opened I added oil to bring the oil level from midway to the max line and that's all I was really worried about in the short term.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you have a lot of miles on it now dont you?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Worth a shot. Take a strong vacuum cleaner and clean the switch. Just a little pebble could be lodged in the switch preventing it from getting triggered.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Just rolled over 104K miles the other day. Not alot of miles compared to the Boxster with over 263K miles.

And the Turbo still feels solid and runs as good as it ever did.

This lid latch thing is not an end of the world problem but it did end up having me stumble upon what appears to be a very nice late model used Cayenne for sale.

My prelim investigation of the Cayenne didn't find anything scary and it comes with a CPO that appears to have 3 years to run.

While I love my Turbo to death my transportation needs have changed rather drastically now that my parents live near me and I am their transportation to the doctor and the stores. Ferrying just one or the other in the Turbo is a pain and believe it or not but my 93 year old dad manages to get in the back seat when he wants to accompany my mom and I on her visits to the doctor.

I get lots of dirty looks though at the clinic when he struggles to climb out of the car. He refuses to lease even a small 4-door econo-box and I am just a stubborn...

But I may be weakening. But not to the point I start driving a Focus for crying out loud. A Cayenne keeps me driving a Porsche.

Too early to say for sure, but my time with my Turbo may be winding down.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
when you get it fixed remove the drivers tailight. theres a remote cable under it . route it below the bumper so you wont have to travel to the dealer for this agaiin
Thanks for the tip. I will re-route the cable when I install my aftermarket LED tail lights.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Thanks for the tip. I will re-route the cable when I install my aftermarket LED tail lights.
theres another cable under the front headlight for the front lid also. helps if the battery ever dies
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the Turbo and swap the Boxter for the Ceyenne.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by SSST
Keep the Turbo and swap the Boxter for the Ceyenne.
Thinking about tossing in both cars for the Cayenne.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Thinking about tossing in both cars for the Cayenne.
I picked up a 05 Turbo. There going for almost 20k here now. I had a 04 S before and I was prepared for the coolant pipes and cardian shaft to go on it. Also just recently needed a new battery. It's a pig on gas but so is my 996 Turbo.
I took the pig out to the track even. It is fast on the straights and handles great but it wasn't quick in corners. The brakes faded, the gearbox over heated and got stuck in gear until it cooled.
It is no replacement for any boxster or 911.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Quote de Macster :
' My prelim investigation of the Cayenne didn't find anything scary and it comes with a CPO that appears to have 3 years to run.'

Porsche CPO is 2 yrs/100K,whichever comes first AFAIK.
Unless that Cayenne still has 1 yr extra of Factory Warranty...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

It is not my intent to find a direct replacement for either the Boxster or the Turbo. As far as I'm concerned if I wanted a Turbo or Boxster replacement I'd just buy a newer example of one or both cars.

I need transportation for 2 very old and frail and extremely mobility challenged people, my parents.

The Boxster? Forget it. Neither parent can get into that thing without great difficulty and would not be able to get out without me having to call upon Fire and Rescue.

Even getting into and out of the Turbo is a real painful process. These are very hard cars to get into and out of. They ride too rough too. The ride is jarring and to especially my mom with her painful arthritis most unpleasant to sit in even for short trips.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
Quote de Macster :
' My prelim investigation of the Cayenne didn't find anything scary and it comes with a CPO that appears to have 3 years to run.'

Porsche CPO is 2 yrs/100K,whichever comes first AFAIK.
Unless that Cayenne still has 1 yr extra of Factory Warranty...
The vehicle does I believe still have some remaining factory warranty.

The vehicle sticker says it is covered until sometime in 2016. I believe the CPO warranty extends the 4 year factory warranty by 2 years and up to 100K miles.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Engine compartment lid latch is in...

Cost is approx. $85. Will make an appointment to get car in Thursday: the earliest I can get the car in.

Quick Reply: Turbo engine access denied! Can't ...