Porsche Code Card for PCM/NAV

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Code Card for PCM/NAV

Good Afternoon Folks,

I just picked up the “Porsche 996: The Essential Companion” and I am learning all kinds of new and interesting things.

My 2003 has the CD/Radio/GPS head unit with the CD changer in the bonnet. What I did not know until after the fact was that the Porsche Code Card that contains the PCM Serial Number and Code Number is nowhere to be found. What I hear is that if the battery is disconnected then the radio unit is dead unless the code from the card is entered or “flashed” by the dealership. Is this correct? Before I fiddle with the battery I want to know for sure. Do I have to call my local Porsche dealership and request a new one? On that topic I am also pondering swapping out the OEM radio/GPS unit from Porsche because it is mediocre at best. The CD-ROM driven GPS is terrible. What I would like to do is to replace the existing unit with a new MP3/GPS/XM unit that doesn’t require taking the whole interior apart to install. Any suggestions?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Benracinglately
Track Day

I don't see any responses to this thread, but have you received any help from other members via PM? The reason I ask is that I just acquired a 2003 996tt last week and I have exactly the same concern! The Porsche PCM system installed in the car does not appear to be the original - i.e. it must have been installed by one of the previous owners.

I looked through all of the booklets that came with the car, and while I have the instruction manual, there is no serial number or activation code of any sort. I am concerned that if I bring it in for service and they disconnect the battery, that it may never work again. Is this fear unfounded, or is this a real concern and if so, how do I find out what codes are needed? Do I remove the unit to find the serial number or what?

Also, I find it odd that when I check the PCM software version, the device type is all zeros and there is no serial number listed. The radio and CD based navigation work now, but I'd hate to have them never come back to life after the battery is disconnected.

Any help you can offer me as a new (older 996tt) owner is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCM/nav unit in the 996.2 does not need a code.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 269 Posts

There's a few threads on Renntech. Porsche should be able to provide code, or Becker (radio manuf).
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Benracinglately
Track Day

Thanks for the positive responses everyone. I was afraid something was amiss since the device type and serial number did not show up on the display. Sounds like things will work again after the battery is disconnected/reconnected, so thanks for giving me some hope.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine disconnected a couple of times and never had a problem. I think the Becker radio's and the early Nav units do need a code.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Ben,

I replaced the OEM unit several months ago. But yes, any Porsche dealership can provide you with a code if needed. I got rid of the OEM unit and replaced it with a Pioneer.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
gnoub51
Intermediate

John, what Pioneer unit did you get?

Gary
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by gnoub51
John, what Pioneer unit did you get?

Gary
Gary...Pioneer AVIC-X940BT
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

[QUOTE=Silberwolfen;10107240]Good Afternoon Folks,

I just picked up the “Porsche 996: The Essential Companion” and I am learning all kinds of new and interesting things.

Isn't that a great book! On my night stand and the one book that doesn't put me to sleep when I read in bed. But really heavy! Ummph. Must be like 10 lbs.

That plus the online manual are two of the best references I have. For any of my cars.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Yes, I own that one too. Good book.

Quick Reply: Porsche Code Card for PCM/NAV