Sponsored by:

Random Coolant Smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 PM
okiedude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Coolant Smell

I've owned my 2003 T for about 45 days now. I've probably driven it 15 out of those 45 days (was out of country for two of those weeks and have other cars). On 6-7 occasions when I stop the car and open the door to get out I smell coolant (distinct sickleny sweet odor). I only seem to smell it right around the cockpit, I don't smell anything up around the radiators or in the engine compartment. It only lasts for a few seconds, then it is gone. I do not see any signs of a leak, no puddles or obvious wet spots under car. The PO discovered a cracked radiator while I was waiting to pick up the car and had the dealer install a new radiator.
I don't know if I wish this was more consistent, but i do find it disconcerting. Any suggestions for where to look over or under the car for a leak. Car has 28K miles and no mods.
Thanks from a noob!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by okiedude
I've owned my 2003 T for about 45 days now. I've probably driven it 15 out of those 45 days (was out of country for two of those weeks and have other cars). On 6-7 occasions when I stop the car and open the door to get out I smell coolant (distinct sickleny sweet odor). I only seem to smell it right around the cockpit, I don't smell anything up around the radiators or in the engine compartment. It only lasts for a few seconds, then it is gone. I do not see any signs of a leak, no puddles or obvious wet spots under car. The PO discovered a cracked radiator while I was waiting to pick up the car and had the dealer install a new radiator.
I don't know if I wish this was more consistent, but i do find it disconcerting. Any suggestions for where to look over or under the car for a leak. Car has 28K miles and no mods.
Thanks from a noob!
Get the car in the air and look everywhere there is a coolant hose/fitting/connection.

The water pump is suspect of course.

In some areas trash in the radiator ducts combined with climatic conditions can have the radiator corroded through. If one was replaced because of this the other side has to be suspect. That you do not smell any thing at near these can just from the fluid having been carried back by air flow or if the radiator fans are on which they are if the A/C is on even if the engine is not hot enough blowing the smell towards the back of the car.

Let's see... coolant cap can leak. Most of the time this just has the coolant tank fluid level low but if the cap leaks bad enough you could smell anti-freeze.

The coolant tank can leak.

Oh, with the car in the air check those coolant pipes that are glued into the engine block. Owners who track or DE their cars have these fail but they can fail for the rest of us too, just not as often.

One test you can do to try to force the issue is to drive the car until it is fully warmed up. Leave the A/C off. In neutral raise the rpms to 1000 to 1200 and hold until you or a helper note the radiator fans come on. As soon as they come on turn off the engine. This will cause the coolant to get real hot and pressure will build and if there is a weakness in the cooling system you'll know it. This test finally sent a cracked/and slightly leaking coolant tank in my Boxster over the edge.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:40 PM
okiedude
Intermediate

Thanks, I'll give all that a check!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smelled it about a month ago. 2 days later my lower coolant hose above alternator split while driving.

Worth a look!

Henry
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM
okiedude
Intermediate

Well, it would appear the RF radiator is weeping-ugh! Pulled the inner fender liner to take a look and it is definitely wet down the side of the radiator. Do I have to pull the bumper cover to remove the radiator, or can I do it from the wheel well? Any threads on radiator removal?
Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

Here's a link to Loren's site with a DIY for the front bumper removal. It's really easy and then getting to the radiator will be a snap!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...-front-bumper/

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:34 AM
okiedude
Intermediate

Thanks. Radiator just ordered from Pelican. Should have this fixed next week.
Just read the write up and watched the video. I think it's easier to remove the bumper cover than that inner fender liner-LOL!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by okiedude
Thanks. Radiator just ordered from Pelican. Should have this fixed next week.
Just read the write up and watched the video. I think it's easier to remove the bumper cover than that inner fender liner-LOL!
Both my Boxster and my Turbo have had radiators replaced. The driver side on the Boxster after hitting road debris and the passenger side on the Turbo after hitting a mule deer and in both cases the bumper cover came off.

Based on the above 2nd hand experience and my direct experience in removing the bumper cover to clean the radiator ducts out, I can't imagine trying to replace a radiator by going in through the wheel well. In fact I suspect it can't be done.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
okiedude
Intermediate

In looking at trying to remove it from the back side that would not be practical. I was changing to some new wheels/tires last night when I noticed a damp spot at the base of the fender liner. I knew there was an issue somewhere, so I figured I would remove the liner and look around while I had the tire off the car. That liner was a bit of a pain, really just the bottom plastic plug.It did give me a chance to use my new Torx bit set which arrived yesterday. 6 different screws and two plugs to hold the liner on, they don't want that bad boy to fall off0-LOL.
As many Torx as there are on the Porsche, I highly recommend this Torx kit, very comprehensive and seems to be better quality and on sale!
http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-5900a.aspx

Quick Reply: Random Coolant Smell