Sponsored by:

Xado additive Yes or NO

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xado additive Yes or NO

Hi, keep hearing about this product Xado engine additive, I have never used anything except 0-40w in my 2004 996TT x50, and keep seeing reviews and ads for this product. Any thoughts on this. Even the FTC says it works, and it is TUV approved.
Would you put this in your Porsche? Anyone ever use it?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

I am a firm believer in just using synthetic oil and changing it, would this actually make the Turbo engine run better cooler, is there any thing in our engines that could be adversely affected?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by timmhaines
Hi, keep hearing about this product Xado engine additive, I have never used anything except 0-40w in my 2004 996TT x50, and keep seeing reviews and ads for this product. Any thoughts on this. Even the FTC says it works, and it is TUV approved.
Would you put this in your Porsche? Anyone ever use it?
No I would not use this in my Porsches' engines and no I have never used it.

Read the "info" at this link:

http://xado.us/index.php?route=produ...product_id=192

Metals (iron, alum. steel, chrome, nickel, etc.) and other mineral atoms (carbon, silicon, etc.) are combined under high heat, controlled atmospheres, with catalysts to encourage proper mixing/blending/combining of these materials and with other metals or mineral additives to remove impurities and encourage proper metal grain formation, grain bonding with no inclusions, and grain shape and orientation.

Ceramic coatings are applied under clean and special atmospheric conditions to ensure proper bonding of the ceramic material with the base metal/material. Generally finish machining (usually grinding) is necessary to obtain a suitable final part shape and acceptable surface finish and part dimension.

To expect some oil additive to do this in the filthy, contaminated, low temperature (way below the melting point of alum. let alone iron or ceramic) environment with the violence of the high pressure/high temperature oil keeping things stirred up is well, to put it kindly, is some expecting.

I might point out that ceramics can consist of oxides of carbides of silicon carbide, alum. oxide, silicon nitride to list a few. These oxides are used as industrial abrasives. (Years ago I used ceramic wheels consisting of silicon or alum. oxides for the finishing of eye glass lenses. More recently where I worked as a machinist I had a fine selection of silicon carbide and aluminum oxide grinding wheels (from 8/12 inches in diameter to around 3 feet in diameter) to grind/finish materials ranging from rolls covered in rubber and paper to tubes coated in copper, plated with hard chrome, or metal sprayed with various wear resistant metals, 52100 bearing sleeves, to your plain old steel, cast iron shafts, bars, tubes, plates, discs, sheet metal cutting blades, machine tables, guides and ways, and so on.)

Thus using this additive, if it contains one of the above oxides, one could possibly be adding an abrasive to his engine's oil. Admittedly in probably too fine a particle size to matter much thanks to the oil filter which should trap this stuff in its fibers.

Really use a proper oil change it at reasonable intervals and leave the additives on the shelf where they belong and the money you would have spent on them for use on other more cost effective purchases that have a better chance of having a positive affect on your financial situation, like lottery tickets, for instance.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

So your in the same position I am, not sure if this is good or not.
I would like to see and measure actually engine internals to be confident it isn't polishing out the tolerances too. This is used in so many countries wish I could find some real unbiased technical info on long term use.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:09 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Ok, found some more info, and Yes it still sounds like too good to be true, it does appear to work
http://uscleantek.com/Home_Page.html

thoughts?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My thoughts are that its your car. If you want to put additives like that in it its your call. Whether its proven by a bench test or some pictures its all you. the way I feel is if porsche recommended it, especially how vigorous and thorough they test their engines, they would have recommended it from the factory.

If you feel Xado improves drivability, fuel mileage, or less smoke, etc... so be it. You wont find it in my TT, Only M1 5w-40 TDT. I dont know anyone who owns a p-car who runs additives like this. Techron maybe, but thats it. IMHO, your car, your money
Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP-

'You keep hearing about this'??? Thats is becuase the salesmen are tryiong to pump it up...this is snake oil.

Every few years there is a new spin with a new 'story' and a new 'name'...same old crap.

Do you really actually believe that the uscleantek is an unrelated entity to Xado????????????????????

scam, scam, scam.

IMO

A
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The claim is:
"• improve fuel economy 3-6% in new vehicles and 6-9% in vehicles with over 12,000 miles. Fuel economy can improve up to 15% highway and 30% city.
• increase oil life 20-50%
• decrease emissions and blow by 5-20%
• increase power and compression 5-100%
• decrease temperature 5-40%
• decrease vibration 5-50%
• decrease noise 1-10 %"

Really? Vehicle manufacturers are adding expensive technology like auto stop-start in order to see perhaps 0.5% fuel economy benefit (city driving, 0% hiway). If this additive could achieve even 10% of its claims, the manufacturers would be adding it to initial fills.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by timmhaines
So your in the same position I am, not sure if this is good or not.
I would like to see and measure actually engine internals to be confident it isn't polishing out the tolerances too. This is used in so many countries wish I could find some real unbiased technical info on long term use.
Sorry, if my meaning wasn't clear.

Let me put make it clearer.

While I haven't tried this additive just reading the blurbs about what it supposedly can do is supposedl to do is based on my knowledge/experience nonsense.

if you want to take two engines (at least start with two) and tear them down and document their internal engine clearances, fits, etc then put both engines back together and instrument them for oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, fuel consumption, engine output, and other things, then when you have baselines for both engines then put them into vehicles and put the vehicles into identical service with the only difference is one is using the additive and one is not and then after X miles remove the engines and retest them to see what the measurements are now then tear the engines down and see what the clearances/fits are then repeat this over say 50K miles with your spare time spent going over the reams of data, to verify the additive is any good that is fine by me.

However, I have better things to do with my time and money and better things to subject my Porsche engines to.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem with oil additive companies is that they end up claiming a little too much, that's what gets them into trouble (there were a couple of popular additives, running late night infomercials with high profile Indy car racers - that got into trouble with slightly misleading claims many years ago - some may remember). Some of the race teams use additives to try to get an edge on the competition (since things are so regulated) and some of it is very top secret. You can bet they've done their own testing. From looking at the site and 'history' of this product, it sounds like chlorinated hydrocarbon to me. It's one of the only few oil additives that have been patented but the patent afaik has expired. The old engine test - standard engine/add oil 'X', tear down engine after running at redline ?48 hours and compare with other oils - is the CRC-L38 (there must be newer similar tests). The one I saw using an oil (that already contained this particular additive - lets face it all oils off the shelf have additives) did extremely well. And I do use (not Xado but an older one that I know and no longer readily available that I've stock piled for personal use!) in both my turbo's. There's others on rennlist who uses chlorinated hydrocarbon based additives too but I'll let them chime in if they want.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

The negative with running the clorinated "juice" is that it can be harmful to certain "soft" bearings like the bronze in your turbochargers. If you have condensation from improper warm ups or short drives this will contribute to significant/accelerated wear. Yes, CERTAIN snake oil manufactures use additives to prevent this from occuring.

Interesting enough>> I use the RAW compound when I build turbochargers!! The very same compound that will destroy the bearings. It is in a pure form with no water.. I have to heat the raw compound up and mix with my petroleum product. FYI, one can look to General Motors "old" assembly lube and to STP to get these base ingredients. BMW Castrol 10W60 uses this type of additive.

Basal has close hand information. Real world lab information. My advice is to keep the secret sauce away from your engine unless you can come to the table with a large stack of dollar bills when something goes wrong. BTW, this type of lube does better with steel components. Gearboxes and diffs would be the better option. However, limited slips would not like this.. Our turbo box, does not have a limited slip....
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Nein ... spritzmotor!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Appears xado is an old russian military fluid/solids used to save military engines from wear.
Not sure I would use this in a Porsche, old Chevy truck seems like a good candidate, lol
Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Not just NO, but HELL NO, do NOT put ANY additives in your Porsche. This stuff reeks of the typical Snake Oil claims by some "stars" of the past, notably Microlon, Slick50, and that old favorite, Marvel Mystery Oil. None, repeat none of the additives can back up any of their claims with hard, instrumented data streams. At best, the most they can say is they MAY not cause harm, but then again....they might. Price an overhaul lately?

My other silly hobby is aviation, having owned a series of Beechcraft Bonanzas and Cessna 206's over the years. With the price of 100LL approaching $8/gal in some areas, we will pay anyone anything for an increase in fuel economy! Reduce my fuel burn by 1/2gal/hr? 1 gal/hr? Who do I have to kill? Some years back, Microlon was actually approved for use by the FAA in piston aircraft engines. It was making all the same types of claims in all the magazines; more power, reduced friction and wear, improved fuel economy, lowered internal temps, extended engine life, etc. A fellow Bonanza owner/author named John Deakin, a FANATIC for hard data, did a carefully instrumented and witnessed test; without and then with Microlon @ $250/qt added to his IO-520. Very pretty blue fluid btw. What color is Xado? I'll bet it's just lovely...... Using an JPInstruments EDM-700 engine monitor that measures EGT and CHT individually for 6 cyls, as well as fuel burn to the 10th of a gal/hr, oil temp, oil pressure, MP etc. With two witness aboard, and another plane flying chase side by side. They did a measured time to climb to 10,000 ft, back to back mornings, identical conditions. Results, absolutely zero detectable changes, for or against. No reduction in temps or fuel burn, no increase in power reducing the time to climb. Zip, zero nada.

Xado? Run away screaming.........

Cheers
Mikey

Quick Reply: Xado additive Yes or NO